Text messaging delay

Does anyone else experience a pretty significant delay in receiving
text messages? I have a Treo 650 and am getting messages hours after
they are sent, whether from other Sprint customers or other networks. I
often get messages in giant batches (tonight five at a time, that were
sent over the entire day).

I'm in San Francisco.

Thanks,
--Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about text messaging delay

    I've been with Sprint for nearly 3 years now, and I've always had
    delays in receiving text messages. My friends with other cellular
    companies (Cingular & Alltel) never seem to experience any sort of
    delay, as they always respond back immediately after receiving a text
    message. For me on the other hand, it may take hours before I even get
    notified that I have new text messages.

    I have been with Sprint for about 5 years. Bought my current phone
    solely because of the text messaging utility (used to use Wireless Web
    for that but it was too cumbersome). I've never noticed any real lag
    in receiving messages. I might notice something sitting there if my
    phone was on silent during work or something. In fact one morning I
    was testing a friend's new phone (on Verizon no less) I sent him a test
    message so we could see how his phone handles that (he was in the room
    with me by the way). It showed up in less than 2 minutes. He
    responded and that showed up on my phine in about the same amount of
    time.

    I guess I must have a chamed account. Or maybe it's my location?
    Southern California south of LAX

    danm@danmiller.net wrote:
    > Does anyone else experience a pretty significant delay in receiving
    > text messages? I have a Treo 650 and am getting messages hours after
    > they are sent, whether from other Sprint customers or other networks. I
    > often get messages in giant batches (tonight five at a time, that were
    > sent over the entire day).

    I clock in about 250 text messages a month. So far, no delays and
    messages tend to come in within around 30 seconds of them being sent.
    Occassionally I can get in a pretty rapid back-and-forth with someone
    else on a blackberry via Cingular. (cobine two gadgest with thumb
    keyboards and you can get a pretty good exchange going via SMS).

    It could be the area you're in. Not sure how SMS works (It doesn't
    appear to go over Vision), but the gateway in your area could
    potentially be congested, or voice traffic is high and has priority over
    text.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    So, an update to this. I spoke to Sprint Business support, and I gotta
    say, those guys are MUCH more helpful and technically savvy than the
    other groups you talk to there.

    They found that the messaging service hadn't been provisioned to my
    account properly. There was an "agent" missing which means the messages
    will ultimately get to my phone, but not in any timely way. They
    re-provisioned everything and now things are cranking.

    Thanks for all the responses!

    --Dan

    Good for you! I wish I had service like that from them on _my_ account!

Sprint PCS Messaging Treo Internet Service Providers