soundcraft delta 200 thread

I just bought a soundcraft delta 200 16/4/2 board. definitely a step up
from my mackie. (twice the size too unfortunately). I bought it because
it was modular (and therefore easily upgradeable) and fit my needs
configuration-wise as well as cheep. so far i'm really happy with it.
I'd like to start a thread regarding this board as i did a search and
didn't find much discussion about it.

Any owners out there? what version do you have?

where can i get manual, schematics? soundcraft website has a 'user
guide' download but that is basically just a summary of the unit. where
do you get faders? can you use the ones from digikey or are they
different? how about pots?

Have you done any mods to it? Have you replaced the opamps (TL072 i
think)? Are the socketed or soldered to the board? what replacements
did you use? have you tried upgrading the PSU?

how about the "Audio Upgrades" mod? anyone tried this? they charge $150
per channel to "replace op-amps, E.Q. caps, coupling caps,direct-couple
audio path, install feedback caps and more." (www.audioupgrades.com)
wondering if its worth it for a couple channels.

here's a link to a tapeop interview with jim williams from audio
upgrades where he explains the board and his upgrades a little:

http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonus/smallbusinesses.html
25 answers Last reply
More about soundcraft delta thread

    On 22 Mar 2005 17:46:11 -0800, antonlamont45@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I just bought a soundcraft delta 200 16/4/2 board. definitely a step up
    >from my mackie. (twice the size too unfortunately). I bought it because
    >it was modular (and therefore easily upgradeable) and fit my needs
    >configuration-wise as well as cheep. so far i'm really happy with it.
    >I'd like to start a thread regarding this board as i did a search and
    >didn't find much discussion about it.
    >
    >Any owners out there? what version do you have?

    I have one that also replaced my Mackie and I like it a lot. I paid
    Mine is a 16/4/2 with the deluxe 4-band EQ modules and direct outs on
    every channel. I'm not a tinkerer so I have done no mods on it. I
    have heard that the $150 upgrade Jim Williams does to the master
    output module is very good and makes a big improvement in the sound.
    At some point I may have that done to mine, but at present my stuff is
    packed up since I lost my studio space, so that's on the back burner
    for now.

    What did you pay for yours? Mine was $750 plus I had to buy a power
    supply for it. It came out of a video post-production studio
    liquidation so it hadn't been beat up on live gigs or filled with
    smoke. For the money they are unbeatable, if you have the space for
    one, as they are big.

    >where can i get manual, schematics? soundcraft website has a 'user
    >guide' download but that is basically just a summary of the unit. where
    >do you get faders? can you use the ones from digikey or are they
    >different? how about pots?

    I would guess that you can still get parts from Harmon.

    Al

    antonlamon...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I just bought a soundcraft delta 200 16/4/2 board. definitely a step
    up
    > from my mackie. (twice the size too unfortunately). I bought it
    because
    > it was modular (and therefore easily upgradeable) and fit my needs
    > configuration-wise as well as cheep. so far i'm really happy with it.
    > I'd like to start a thread regarding this board as i did a search and
    > didn't find much discussion about it.
    >
    > Any owners out there? what version do you have?

    I have the Delta 8, 8 sub version.
    It's actually a mix of modules in the Delta 8
    frame with meter bridge: several original Delta 8
    mono (mic) modules, some Venue II mono modules
    (slightly modified), some Delta 8 stereo modules,
    4 Delta group output modules and 2 stereo Venue
    group output modules (for 8 subgroups) and a
    200 Delta master module with a pair of large
    output transformers.

    > where can i get manual, schematics? soundcraft website has a 'user
    > guide' download but that is basically just a summary of the unit.
    where
    > do you get faders? can you use the ones from digikey or are they
    > different? how about pots?

    Compared to some other companies, Soundcraft is
    pretty good about supplying parts and service literature.
    But the Delta has been recently discontinued after a
    fairly lengthy run (1991 ?) Now would be a good time
    to inquire about the schematics/service manual if you
    think you will need them. I have some schematics but
    they are copies-of-copies already and I'm not sure how
    well they would reproduce again.
    There are 2 different types of faders in mine that are
    interchangable. I suspect that any 100mm fader
    could be made to work.

    > Have you done any mods to it? Have you replaced the opamps (TL072 i
    > think)? Are the socketed or soldered to the board? what replacements
    > did you use? have you tried upgrading the PSU?

    I've done some simple mods to the Venue II strips to
    allow them to work in the Delta, which is to disable the
    mute circuit. The opamps on some modules are socketed
    but the most likely ones that I might change are soldered
    in (the mic preamps). The Delta 8 master section has
    some better features than the 200 and I will be doing
    some minor mods and swapping the transformers to it.

    > how about the "Audio Upgrades" mod? anyone tried this? they charge
    $150
    > per channel to "replace op-amps, E.Q. caps, coupling
    caps,direct-couple
    > audio path, install feedback caps and more." (www.audioupgrades.com)
    > wondering if its worth it for a couple channels.

    I have considered the Williams mods for at least one mic
    preamp channel and I would also like to add an input
    transformer, as well as add a phono preamp to 1or 2
    of the stereo inputs.

    > here's a link to a tapeop interview with jim williams from audio
    > upgrades where he explains the board and his upgrades a little:
    >
    > http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonus/smallbusinesses.html

    I did some research before I got the Delta 8.
    I wanted a 'British' modular console with a decent
    reputation and servicablity, at a bargain price.
    I had been looking at several Delta 200's and DLX's
    but really REALLY wanted (at least) 8 submixes.
    I feel I was lucky to get my Delta even though I had to
    cobble together the extra mic inputs for it.

    good luck
    rd

    yeah i was looking at the xr20 also, couldn't afford it though.. i got
    lucky--got mine for $450 on ebay w/ deluxe input modules and standard
    PSU. the seller had no feedback so i took a chance but it worked out.
    it is in really excellent shape (even came with a dust cover!) except
    than the control room out and phones only come out of the right channel
    (seller didn't tell me about that one). i took the main module out and
    checked for loose ribbon connections but the problem remains. i don't
    have much tech knowledge so i can't really fix it, unless someone has a
    suggestion or an idea of what it might be or what to do?

    i noticed that the IC's on the main module are all socketed while the
    the mono input modules are soldered. this makes trying some different
    ICs on the main module a little easier. i might think about putting
    sockets on a mono module so i can try different things out.

    it is interesting i've heard several people talk about classical
    recording on this mixer--what makes it better suited for that? what i
    am recording is far from classical, hope it works out for me.

    yes they are big! my 16/4 is twice the size and weight of my mackie
    1604. maybe thats why they are unpopular.. i was surprised to not find
    much info or discussion on the soundcraft delta when i searched the
    net.

    i am really mostly using mine as a line level mixer for tracking synths
    and effects. for the price the sound is fantastic. of course i always
    want better but i am not sure how worthwhile an 'audio upgrades' mod
    would be considering i'm not using the mic pre's. i will probably send
    them 2 channels first and see how worth it it is.

    lorin just saw your post--yes i am that bastard ; ) i've got 2 words
    for you--auction sniper (dot com). if it makes you feel any better the
    headphones/cntrl room doesn't work properly. i do need all the inputs
    so i can't sell it to you but if you end up finding a tub for your
    modules and you want to sell some of those stereo modules i'd be
    interested as i need more inputs too..

    lorin just saw your post--yes i am that bastard ; ) i've got 2 words
    for you--auction sniper (dot com). if it makes you feel any better
    the
    headphones/cntrl room doesn't work properly. i do need all the inputs

    so i can't sell it to you but if you end up finding a tub for your
    modules and you want to sell some of those stereo modules i'd be
    interested as i need more inputs too.. if you (or anybody else) have a
    master module for sale i'd be interested too..

    You bastard! That's MY board! I got busy at work and couldn't get to a
    computer to bid at the last minute like I was supposed to. You must
    live in New York if you have it already.

    I already a bunch of Delta parts, but only 8/4/2 chassis (one desktop
    and one rackmount. I need a 16ch tub so I can track an entire band at
    once.

    Hey, do you need all those inputs? Wanna trade yours for an 8/4/2 plus
    some cash? I have all kinds of extra modules and only use it for
    tracking, so I pulled out the subgroups (don't need 'em) and dropped in
    four stereo strips instead. That gives me 16/2 (8 mono mic strips, 4
    stereo line strips). I could send you both the stereo strips *and* the
    subgroups so you can configure it however you want.

    - Lorin David Schultz
    in the control room
    making even bad news sound good

    (Remove spamblock to reply)

    "Frank Stearns" <franks.pacifier.com@pacifier.net> wrote in message
    > antonlamont45@yahoo.com writes:
    > One step at a time... My Delta was in a smoker's studio; damn near every
    > sw was filthy. Most pots okay, though; a nice surprise. I've replaced all
    > the mix switches, all the channel, line/mic, phantom, and EQ switches, and
    > few other parts here and there. Also did the TB switch. What a PIA that
    > was, but it brought the TB back to life. I just wish I could mod the TB sw
    > to be momentary instead of lock. Oh well.

    If the TB switch is the standard Soundcraft (Alps) switch it can easily be
    modified to momentary by removing the small metal staple thing on the top of
    the switch. Have a practice on one of the switches you replaced if you
    still have one.

    Gareth. .

    In article <1111542371.624160.162600@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> antonlamont45@yahoo.com writes:

    > I just bought a soundcraft delta 200 16/4/2 board. definitely a step up
    > from my mackie. (twice the size too unfortunately). I bought it because
    > it was modular (and therefore easily upgradeable)

    Sounds to me like you're looking for a project.

    > where can i get manual, schematics? soundcraft website has a 'user
    > guide' download but that is basically just a summary of the unit. where
    > do you get faders? can you use the ones from digikey or are they
    > different? how about pots?

    The Delta series was new enough so that it used "OEM-type" parts,
    parts that you can't easily replace with generic parts. You can often
    find pots and faders that will work with a little mechanical
    modification, but the way you approach this is to buy a couple of what
    you can find and then see what it takes to match them up with the
    board. You may still be able to get replacements from whatever
    Soundcraft calls a parts department today, but if you want better-than
    parts, you have to do some diggign (or find someone who's already done
    that).

    > Have you done any mods to it? Have you replaced the opamps (TL072 i
    > think)? Are the socketed or soldered to the board? what replacements
    > did you use? have you tried upgrading the PSU?

    Have you even pulled out a module and looked at it? If your intent was
    to modify the console, it seems that you would have already
    investigated whether chips were socketed or soldered. If you can lift
    the power supply, you could almost certainly improve things by
    upgrading it - but in what way? One of the things that most modest
    priced console power supplies lack is overvoltage protection - if
    something goes haywire in the power supply, it can blow out a
    substantial portion of the board.

    > how about the "Audio Upgrades" mod? anyone tried this? they charge $150
    > per channel to "replace op-amps, E.Q. caps, coupling caps,direct-couple
    > audio path, install feedback caps and more." (www.audioupgrades.com)
    > wondering if its worth it for a couple channels.

    Well, that answers your question about whether modifications are
    possible. I'd suggest that you send him a couple of channels and
    decide for yourself whether it's worth it. Jim is often pretty free
    with information about what his upgrades involve, so he might jump in
    here and give you some suggestions (but not ALL of his secrets). But
    in general, I've never heard a report of an Audio Upgrades
    modification that someone didn't think was a worthwhile improvement.
    Whether or not you think the console is worth 16 x $150 more if you
    modify all the channels is your decision. If he has a modification to
    the master section, that might be a good thing to try first since
    everything goes through that.

    well i wasn't necessarily looking for a project when i bought this
    board--one of my prerequisites for buying an older board was that it
    was in excellent shape and modular (for repair's sake). the fact that
    it was upgradable was a big plus though.

    although i am not experienced (cable making and circuit bending is the
    extent of my knowledge) it is very tempting to want to tweak this
    board, knowing that it is possible, call it geek impulse. of coarse i
    do not want to do anything that would fry it by overloading the PSU, so
    i am reading and learning. it will be a while before my soldering iron
    touches that thing, but i look forward to the day that it does..

    btw, mike i have been lurking for a while on this board and have gained
    much from reading your posts. please let me know if you have any
    reading recommendations to get me started on the path i am likely to
    follow; ie audio circuit building.

    well i wasn't necessarily looking for a project when i bought this
    board--one of my prerequisites for buying an older board was that it
    was in excellent shape and modular (for repair's sake). the fact that
    it was upgradable was a big plus though.

    although i am not experienced (cable making and circuit bending is the
    extent of my knowledge) it is very tempting to want to tweak this
    board, knowing that it is possible, call it geek impulse. of coarse i

    do not want to do anything that would fry it by overloading the PSU, so

    i am reading and learning. it will be a while before my soldering
    iron
    touches that thing, but i look forward to the day that it does..

    btw, mike i have been lurking for a while on this board and have gained

    much from reading your posts. please let me know if you (or anyone
    else) have any
    reading recommendations to get me started on the path i am likely to
    follow; ie audio circuit building.

    does anyone know if there a meter bridge option for the delta 200 16ch?
    i think i heard the delta 8 had one.. i would assume no as i've never
    seen one but just thought i'd check..

    also, there are 2 blank panels on the back-any one know what options
    these are for?

    <antonlamont45@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > [...] if you (or anybody else) have a
    > master module for sale i'd be interested too..

    I have spare input modules (that I'm not anxious to sell until I get a
    bigger board and know what I'm going to need) but no extra master
    sections. The guy who sold me the rackmount tub offered me one, but I
    didn't want it at the time. You could see if he still has it. I think
    I got it from Allen Corneau. I don't have his contact info anymore but
    he posts here from time to time.

    If anyone has a 16ch Delta to sell (shortloaded is fine), lemme know.

    "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> writes:

    >"Frank Stearns" <franks.pacifier.com@pacifier.net> wrote in message
    >> antonlamont45@yahoo.com writes:

    >> few other parts here and there. Also did the TB switch. What a PIA that
    >> was, but it brought the TB back to life. I just wish I could mod the TB sw
    >> to be momentary instead of lock. Oh well.
    >>

    >If the TB switch is the standard Soundcraft (Alps) switch it can easily be
    >modified to momentary by removing the small metal staple thing on the top of
    >the switch. Have a practice on one of the switches you replaced if you
    >still have one.

    I know what you mean, and that's what I was hoping, but the latching is
    integrated into the switch with a plastic plug of some sort, as I recall.
    Still, I did try on an old switch and the whole thing came apart. Sigh.

    Thanks anyway,

    Frank
    Mobile Audio
    --
    .

    antonlamont45 wrote:
    > does anyone know if there a meter bridge option for the delta 200
    16ch?
    > i think i heard the delta 8 had one.. i would assume no as i've
    never
    > seen one but just thought i'd check..

    I've never seen one on any 200Delta and there's
    no mention in any of the literature about an option.
    Part of the reason I jumped on the Delta 8 was the
    included meterbridge. All except the very earliest
    Delta 8's had the meterbridge as standard.
    The Venue's had it as an option.
    Since the Delta 200 shares the basic frame with
    the Delta8 and the Venue/VenueII it would be possible
    to adapt one on but wiring it up would be a chore,
    but each mono input and the group and master
    outputs have places for connection of metering.

    > also, there are 2 blank panels on the back-any one know what options
    > these are for?

    The blank panels are there to allow some of the
    features of the other series boards such as the
    VCA/video interface on the 200 Delta audio-follow-video
    version, the dual 2track/dual CR monitors and the 16
    track tape returns on my Delta 8, a multicore ELCO
    connector for the Venue's mic inputs, and the connector
    for the meterbridge.
    My Delta was modified for muting the CR outputs when a
    mic channel was active and the connection for a
    "ON THE AIR" type sign went through one of these
    blanks. (a mod I have undone)

    rd

    In article <1111602910.927356.291550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> antonlamont45@yahoo.com writes:

    > btw, mike i have been lurking for a while on this board and have gained
    > much from reading your posts. please let me know if you have any
    > reading recommendations to get me started on the path i am likely to
    > follow; ie audio circuit building.

    There really hasn't been a lot written about that sort of thing.
    Mostly people learn by experimenting and finding out what doesn't
    work. I wrote a couple of articles in Recording several years ago
    about soldering and working on circuit boards, as well as a couple of
    articles on designing your own little useful gadgets, but nothing
    about what might make good substitutions, where to start guessing, and
    how to figure out if you've done good or bad.

    I think Monte McGuire may have written something along that line in
    the audiophile magazine he writes for sometimes.

    for those that have the cps 250 psu(i think this comes with 16-24 input
    configs), does yours buzz (mechanically)? mine has a 60hz buzz. its
    not in the audio..but just coming from the unit itself. it is present
    when disconnected from the board as well. i've never had an external
    psu so i'm not sure if this is normal or the sign that it needs
    maintenence (recap maybe?)

    Mine has a newer DCP 200 power supply, and it's not noisy at all.
    Could you have a transformer humming in there?

    Al

    On 24 Mar 2005 23:04:23 -0800, "antonlamont45"

    play on wrote:
    > Mine has a newer DCP 200 power supply, and it's not noisy at all.
    > Could you have a transformer humming in there?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > On 24 Mar 2005 23:04:23 -0800, "antonlamont45"
    > <antonlamont45@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >for those that have the cps 250 psu(i think this comes with 16-24
    input
    > >configs), does yours buzz (mechanically)? mine has a 60hz buzz.
    its
    > >not in the audio..but just coming from the unit itself. it is
    present
    > >when disconnected from the board as well. i've never had an
    external
    > >psu so i'm not sure if this is normal or the sign that it needs
    > >maintenence (recap maybe?)

    Does the CPS250 use the 10 pin connector at
    both ends of the PS cable ? Any others wish to
    comment which connector is on either end of
    their PS cable I would appreciate the info,
    I am currently looking for a spare.

    Mine is the CPS450B (10 pin) power supply,
    and it also hums a bit but it's not real bad.
    The CPS series supplies are standard design with
    60Hz mains transformer and (I believe) the DCP
    series are 'switching' supplies with a toroid
    transformer that if it made any noise would not
    be at 60Hz.

    I doubt a recap would help your CPS250 as the
    noise you hear is mechanical vibration, not
    electrically transferred outside the unit.
    Try removing the cover panels and see if
    it goes away, if so some carefully placed
    small pieces of weatherstipping might help.

    rd

    actually mine is the CPS 150, not 250. the cable is hardwired to the
    psu and is a 5 pin connection to the board. i took the case off but
    that did not stop the buzz, i think it is coming from the transformer.
    i know transformers buzz sometimes, its not a huge problem as i can put
    the psu in my closet, but i'm just wondering if this is normal for this
    unit.

    play on, can you tell me any specs of the DCP 200? i'm assuming that
    it is a step up from the CPS 150?

    rd: there's a 10 pin connector on ebay right now, it is listed as
    'soundcraft power supply cable' i think.

    On the back it says 175VA / 175 watts max. I have heard it said that
    one problem these boards had is that the were under-powered. They no
    longer make the original PS for this Delta series, so what they did
    was give me the current model with a cable modified to work with the
    Delta, it has the same 5 pin connector that you describe. I think
    that the CPS 250 might be the same unit they use with the 24 channel
    boards. I'm sure you could find out more details from Harmon, maybe
    even on their website.

    Al

    On 25 Mar 2005 10:54:04 -0800, "antonlamont45"

    antonlamont45 wrote:
    > for those that have the cps 250 psu(i think this comes with 16-24
    input
    > configs), does yours buzz (mechanically)? mine has a 60hz buzz. its
    > not in the audio..but just coming from the unit itself. it is
    present
    > when disconnected from the board as well. i've never had an external
    > psu so i'm not sure if this is normal or the sign that it needs
    > maintenence (recap maybe?)

    You have a power transformer that has some loose windings. You would
    need to replace it, re-capping won't help. Lots of these English power
    transformers fall apart over time from being drawn on too heavily.
    Better yet, replace it with a Power One HDD-15-5A, 5 amp supply. $150
    from Digi-Key. Add the small 1/2 amp 48 volt and wire it to the
    connector.

    Jim Williams
    Audio Upgrades

    thanks very much jim for that info. i look forward to speaking with
    you soon as i am thinking of 'upgrading' my delta.
  24. Hi,
    I also purchased a delta200 and am loving it! I purchased it from the US with channels 1,2,3 and 4 modded as well as the master. Basically they used the highest quality amps from National. These reduced the noise floor substantially which automatically allowed for higher/more quiet gain. They also added among other things black gate caps which helped provide some of the great sound. Then theirs resistors etc right down to the solder used. I would like to finish the mods off in Sydney. Does anyone know where I can get the mods and upgrade the amps in Sydney Australia?

    thanks
  25. Hello: does anyone know if the series 800 soundcraft ribbon cable that daisey chains the input modules is the same as used in the delta series ? thanks Mr.Bill :hello:

Pro Audio Audio