Which Enermax PSU to get?

Chastoo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2003
I'm somewhat of a newbie building my 1st system. After considerable review and research have decided on the Enermax EG365P-VE series PSU. Now I can't decide on the std, FM, FC, FMA, or FCA model. Quietness is definitely a main goal but don't want to pay extra for features that I won't use. Can anybody explain the differences and benfits of the FC vs FM? Also, any opinions on the adjustable models FMA and FCA? I read somewhere that you run a risk with the adjustable models if you turn them down to low.

BTW, I'm planning to get the following:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2400+
2x256 Kingston PC2700 HyperX CL2
MSI Geforce TI4200 128MB
WD 80 GB Special Edition

And oh yes, my psychic advisor says she sees some OC in my future :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the PSU as well as my overall set-up.

Chuck

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
For average home users, there is no big difference among the various models of Enermax PSU. They are all equally good. If quietness is an issue here, then go for the PSU with adjustable fan speed. It works pretty well in cutting down the noise. Make sure you get the one that has manual adjustable knob and not the auto-adjustable one.

One comment about your config, the Ti4200 is considered outdate and not for serious gamers.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
they are all auto adjustable, in a way. you cant slow the fan down to the point where the temp will rise in the psu, no matter what you set the dial to, if the temp goes too high the fan will speed up.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I didn't know that... perhaps I've never tried it on my Enermax PSU. And if that is the case, then the guy shouldn't worry about running a risk with the adjustable models if the fan speed is turned down to low. Thanks for the info anyway.