256megs? Liar! Bad Computer!

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ok, here's the deal.

I have two 256meg sticks of pc2100 crucial ram in my computer. One is double sided, one is single sided. I used Win2k before, and both sticks showed up fine. I had 512megs total. I was happy.

And THEN, I decided I wanted to use Winxp, so I reformatted, and installed that. I also installed the latest 4in1 drivers. (I have an Abit Kr7a-raid, which has a Via266a). Now my Post and Bios sees 256megs. I've tried swapping the slots, trying different combinations, single sided in slot 1, double sided in slot 1, nothing works. Each stick by itself shows properly as 256megs, but when put together, POST seems to ignore one of them.

Each stick reads as 256megs on its own, so I know both sticks are working,and it worked before. The only factors that could be causing this are WinXp and the new 4in1 drivers.

One guy I asked said that he heard WinXp freaks out on newer 4-in-1 drivers, so I installed the older ones. No luck :(

Here's my info:

Athlonxp 1800
2 sticks of pc2100 ddr, one single sided, one double sided.
Abit KR7A-raid, Bios version 6G.
New 80g maxtor HDD I installed right before this happened. (Though I doubt its the reason behind the problem.)

Any advice/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated, thx.

I've decided to move this post to the motherboard section, because it seems like more of a motherboard problem. <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=540072#540072" target="_new">Linky</A>

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Octivus on 04/24/03 11:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RCPilot

Champion
One guy I asked said that he heard WinXp freaks out on newer 4-in-1 drivers, so I installed the older ones. No luck :(
Never head that myself. BTW the VIA 4 in 1 drivers have replaced by <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers.</A> I've use these since they changed & have not had 1 problem with them at all. Maybe that's what you tried, but I thought I'd just put that out for you.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ya, I was referring to the Hyperion drivers. I'll update my post.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
"And THEN, I decided I wanted to use Winxp, so I reformatted, and installed that. I also installed the latest 4in1 drivers. (I have an Abit Kr7a-raid, which has a Via266a). <b>Now my Post and Bios sees 256megs.</b>"

The problem has already been solved. It sorta healed itself, dont ask me how. :0

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>