bill

Surprisingly little comments here on this game. Anyone got any thoughts?

I actually have it, but have not really been able to play it as it becomes a
slide show on my machine. Admittedly, I have a hard drive drastically in
need of a defrag (scheduled for later in the month when I will be away as it
takes so damn long), but even so the game is a slide show.

Playing on an HP P 4, 3 GIG, 512 RAM, hyper-threading machine and this baby
is slow on the lowest resolution!

Bill

"Bill" <wlambrukos@comcast.net> wrote in

> Surprisingly little comments here on this game. Anyone got any
> thoughts?

Awaiting a couple of reviews before plunging in - too many good games
coming out this year, so little time.

I've read a couple of reviews so far and they weren't that favourable - but
there's a demo (500 MB) at :

http://www.cossacks2.de/index.php?m=downs&ss=demo&lang=us

> I actually have it, but have not really been able to play it as it
> becomes a slide show on my machine. Admittedly, I have a hard drive
> drastically in need of a defrag (scheduled for later in the month when
> I will be away as it takes so damn long), but even so the game is a
> slide show.
>
> Playing on an HP P 4, 3 GIG, 512 RAM, hyper-threading machine and this
> baby is slow on the lowest resolution!

Whoops, beats my rig - what videocard as that might be the cause ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

bill

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bill" <wlambrukos@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> Surprisingly little comments here on this game. Anyone got any
>> thoughts?
>
> Awaiting a couple of reviews before plunging in - too many good games
> coming out this year, so little time.
>
> I've read a couple of reviews so far and they weren't that favourable -
> but
> there's a demo (500 MB) at :
>
> http://www.cossacks2.de/index.php?m=downs&ss=demo&lang=us
>
>> I actually have it, but have not really been able to play it as it
>> becomes a slide show on my machine. Admittedly, I have a hard drive
>> drastically in need of a defrag (scheduled for later in the month when
>> I will be away as it takes so damn long), but even so the game is a
>> slide show.
>>
>> Playing on an HP P 4, 3 GIG, 512 RAM, hyper-threading machine and this
>> baby is slow on the lowest resolution!
>
> Whoops, beats my rig - what videocard as that might be the cause ?
NVidia GeForce FX 5200.

The problem appears to be lack of "virtual memory" (since I only had 512K
RAM). I had the system set at whatever default it came with. I changed the
minimum to 1500 MB (which used to be closer to the default maximum) and the
maximum to 4000 MB and yesterday played one battle, but it worked perfectly.
Hopefully that will fix the problem (seemed to) and I'll be able to play
now. RAM is the issue with this game, some folks saying you need 1.5 for
this to really work well.

In article <wL2dnRcK3OJuv-nfRVn-3w@giganews.com>, wlambrukos@comcast.net
(Bil) wrote:

> Surprisingly little comments here on this game.

The net does seem quiet on the subject doesn't it. I've spent an hour or
so with the demo so far and am having trouble getting to grips with the
more detailed gameplay. The tutorial campaign and I just don't seem to be
on the same wavelength.

I'm sure it'll grow on me when I put some more effort into it though. I
seem to remember struggling a bit with the original game, but it grabbed
me in a rather big way eventually.

Andrew McP

Id be very interested to know if the game suffers from the same problems as
all of the other Cossacks games incl Rise of Nations, Age of Empire etc etc
ie mutliple enemies always ganging up on you, AI research being really quick
so you have to rush your development to even have a chance of beating them,
and dribbling troops at you constantly rather than fighting large scale
battles. These three problems have finally stopped me buying any of these
type of game now as theyre all the same and all pretty boring after a while,
the AI is just so badly scripted.
Nats