nextel sprint merger

Does anyone know if there will be coverage changes at some point due to
the Sprint-Nextel merger? I know Nextel has good coverage in my area,
and I'm wondering if Sprint customers will at some point be able to
access that as well as the Sprint native towers. That should make
Sprint signal much easier to hold onto in my area.

Yes Sprint will begin adding their equipment to many Nextel towers once
the deal is finalized. Sprint mentioned on one of their recent
conference calls that most of Nextel's towers and equipment storage
areas were built oversized and can easily accomodate the additional
Sprint equipment.

Here in CA Sprint users will benefit by new coverage via Nextel along
Hwy 395.

I don't think that Sprint PCS phones will ever be able to use nextel's
current frequencys, since the FCC says that nextel has to leave them
soon. It is likely that new phones will be able to access the new
nextel frequencys. Exactly when that will be I do not know.

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I don't think that Sprint PCS phones will ever be able to use
> nextel's current frequencys, since the FCC says that nextel has to leave
> them soon. It is likely that new phones will be able to access the new
> nextel frequencys. Exactly when that will be I do not know.

But they can put antennas on towers where Nextel currently has antennas.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

If every old nextel location will also be a Sprint PCS location, then
the need for a phone that can get both frequencys is greatly diminished.
Will all Sprint PCS locations have enough room to add the new nextel
frequencys?

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I don't think that Sprint PCS phones will ever be able to use
> nextel's current frequencys, since the FCC says that nextel has to leave
> them soon.

Uh, Sprint users wouldnt' NEED to use the same frequencies. Sprint
would simple have to add CDMA gear (using its current nationwide PCS
licenses) to add coverage.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> If every old nextel location will also be a Sprint PCS location,
> then the need for a phone that can get both frequencys is greatly
> diminished.

Not necessarily. It might be something that Sprint would look into as a
way to migrate current Nextel customers off iDEN. Everyone knows the
current iDEN infrastructure is taxed, and having them use a phone that
makes two-way radio calls on iDEN, but voice calls on CDMA would be a
great start until a two-way solution is ready on 1xEV-DO

> Will all Sprint PCS locations have enough room to add the
> new nextel frequencys?

Most towers either have extra cabinet space or have the capability to
expand cabinate space; the more tenants on a tower, the merrier it is to
the tower owner, usually.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

The current nextel network will soon be replaced by the new one the FCC
requires them to change to. The OP has a Sprint PCS phone. If all
nextel locations added Sprint PCS, then the OP would not gain anything
by getting a dual service phone.

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> The current nextel network will soon be replaced by the new one the
> FCC requires them to change to.

Uhh, no.

The FREQUENCIES may change, but the network will largely stay intact as
it is for at least a couple of years yet. And chances are, the
migration off of those frequencies won't actually happen until the
shutdown occurs. It's very difficult to force frequency re-assignments
so quickly, and such a move before iDEN is finally discontinued would
force Nextel customers to upgrade twice: to the new "high-band" iDEN,
and then again to EV-DO.

http://sprintnextel.mergerannouncement.com/investor/Investor_Pres.pdf

The current plans call for maintaining iDEN well into 2007, so don't
expect anything major to change until at least then.

> The OP has a Sprint PCS phone. If all
> nextel locations added Sprint PCS, then the OP would not gain anything
> by getting a dual service phone.

I never said there would be. I said a hybrid phone would be a draw for
current Nextel customers to begin migrating to iDEN.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

The change in frequency would be a change in network. Without a lot of
fill-in antenna sites, there would be a reduction in coverage.

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message >
> The FREQUENCIES may change, but the network will largely stay intact as
> it is for at least a couple of years yet.

You may be correct, but there is a major problem with Nextel interfering
with Philadelphia Police and especially Fire radios. There has been talk of
the FCC requiring them to move frequencies. Surely that would require that
the move be nationwide or the phones would not work all over, would they?

Fire officials have complained that their emergency radios are blocked when
they are close to a Nextel tower. Incidents have occurred where firemen
inside burning buildings could not communicate, putting their lives in
jeopardy. Naturally, Motorola, the emergency radio vendor here, denies that
their systems are interfering with each other.

But this is obviously a major concern here, and the upcoming merger might
afford an opportunity for a shift in frequency assignments, while merging
the two technologies. Like killing two birds with one stone.

Just a thought . . .

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message >
> > The FREQUENCIES may change, but the network will largely stay intact as
> > it is for at least a couple of years yet.
>
> You may be correct, but there is a major problem with Nextel interfering
> with Philadelphia Police and especially Fire radios. There has been talk
of
> the FCC requiring them to move frequencies. Surely that would require
that
> the move be nationwide or the phones would not work all over, would they?

Old news- Nextel has already agreed to change frequencies nationwide. I
believe it will start before the merger is complete.

Scott

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message >
> > The FREQUENCIES may change, but the network will largely stay intact as
> > it is for at least a couple of years yet.
>
> You may be correct, but there is a major problem with Nextel interfering
> with Philadelphia Police and especially Fire radios. There has been talk
of
> the FCC requiring them to move frequencies. Surely that would require
that
> the move be nationwide or the phones would not work all over, would they?
>
> Fire officials have complained that their emergency radios are blocked
when
> they are close to a Nextel tower. Incidents have occurred where firemen
> inside burning buildings could not communicate, putting their lives in
> jeopardy. Naturally, Motorola, the emergency radio vendor here, denies
that
> their systems are interfering with each other.

Lets not forget, Motorola is the vendor for the radios in the nextel
equipment shelter.....so its motorola's fault one way or the other!

Jeremy wrote:
> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message >
>
>>The FREQUENCIES may change, but the network will largely stay intact as
>>it is for at least a couple of years yet.
>

> You may be correct, but there is a major problem with Nextel interfering
> with Philadelphia Police and especially Fire radios. There has been talk of
> the FCC requiring them to move frequencies.
> Surely that would require that
> the move be nationwide or the phones would not work all over, would they?

I pretty much said in my post (see above) that frequencies were likely
to change. Now, it's important to note that the spectrum reallocation
plan isn't 100% definite yet. And when it becomes so, the change simply
isn't going to happen overnight. BOTH Nextel and the police/fire
agencies are going to have to swap equipment, and that takes time.
We're probably looking on the order of a ouple of years, which
conincides with with the projected merger timeline between Sprint and
Nextel.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.