Home Internet vs. Sprint Options

First of all I want to say that this is the most informative forum I have
ever been to.

But I'm here for some advice. I just got a second Sanyo 4920 for my wife. I
tried the LG blue tooth for about 2 weeks but the blue tooth functions were
so limited I had to return it. I could barely get a number to dial correctly
from my iPAQ. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be changing my current home
number to my wife's second 4920. When I do this I'm going to loose my
landline internet connection. So here are my questions:

1. Can I use my 4920 to connect to the internet? If so what kind of speed?
What equipment do I need or have to invest in? I have a lousy 26k because
of my location. I don't want to support the cable companies and there is no
DSL coverage in my area (yet). I also can't afford the satellite setup and
connection. I think anything would be an improvement unless it gets very
expensive.

2. If no, is a connection card worth the investment? I really want to get
rid of the house phone but I need the internet. Is there a site where I can
get prices, speeds, and coverage with the connection cards? I don't ever get
dropped calls with Sprint at my home so I wonder if a connection card would
work the same?

3. I don't have a laptop but I know you can get a type 2 PCMCIA slot on my
pc. Would a connection card still work with the PC?

Thanks,
More about home internet sprint options

    if you realy want any kinda of speed you will need to bit your foot off and
    call the cable company and get theres
    I use comcrap and I have there gold service for internet it is 55 bucks
    that is cheep at twice the price for 6mg down and 786 up

    "Diego A. M." <diego47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > First of all I want to say that this is the most informative forum I have
    > ever been to.
    >
    > But I'm here for some advice. I just got a second Sanyo 4920 for my wife.
    > tried the LG blue tooth for about 2 weeks but the blue tooth functions
    > were
    > so limited I had to return it. I could barely get a number to dial
    > correctly
    > from my iPAQ. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be changing my current
    > home
    > number to my wife's second 4920. When I do this I'm going to loose my
    > landline internet connection. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I use my 4920 to connect to the internet? If so what kind of
    > speed?
    > What equipment do I need or have to invest in? I have a lousy 26k because
    > of my location. I don't want to support the cable companies and there is
    > no
    > DSL coverage in my area (yet). I also can't afford the satellite setup
    > and
    > connection. I think anything would be an improvement unless it gets very
    > expensive.
    >
    > 2. If no, is a connection card worth the investment? I really want to
    > get
    > rid of the house phone but I need the internet. Is there a site where I
    > can
    > get prices, speeds, and coverage with the connection cards? I don't ever
    > get
    > dropped calls with Sprint at my home so I wonder if a connection card
    > would
    > work the same?
    >
    > 3. I don't have a laptop but I know you can get a type 2 PCMCIA slot on
    > my
    > pc. Would a connection card still work with the PC?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Did you check to see if there is a any wireless providers in your area?
    Where I live there is one but they really don't advertise. They are mostly
    for business but do have residential service. check out www.dslreports.com

    Diego A. M. wrote:
    > When I do this I'm going to loose my
    > landline internet connection.

    Yipe, have you considered broadband cable?

    > So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I use my 4920 to connect to the internet? If so what kind of speed?

    Technically yes. However, Sprint prohibits that type of online use with
    their $15 plan. They frown upon having people connect computers to
    their phones and making it their primary internet connection, and may
    either cut off you rdata access or force you into a laptop connectivity
    plan (typically around $80 per month in addition to your voice plan).

    > What equipment do I need or have to invest in?

    You could purchase a PCMCIA card and use that, but it would requite a
    laptop plan. You could also get a USB data cable from Radio Shack for
    Sanyo phones, typically around $20.

    > I have a lousy 26k because
    > of my location. I don't want to support the cable companies and there is no
    > DSL coverage in my area (yet).

    While I can sympathize with not wanting to "feed the pig" as Dish
    Network likes to say, at present you kind of have to pick between the
    lesser of two evils to get a good data connection to your home. Since
    it seems like your phone company can't or won't offer DSL, you may be
    stuck with cable, at least for a while, in order to get a decent
    internet connection without having traditional wireline phone service.

    > I also can't afford the satellite setup and
    > connection. I think anything would be an improvement unless it gets very
    > expensive.

    In order to remain "kosher" in the eyes of Sprint's Terms of Service,
    things could get very expensive if you wanted to have a permanent
    wireles data connection with them.

    > 2. If no, is a connection card worth the investment? I really want to get
    > rid of the house phone but I need the internet.

    Think of it this way: a laptop connection card will run you $200 to
    $300, and the monthly fees will easily run $80 a month. On the other
    hand, a cable broadband connection will be much faster and cost around
    $60-70 a month, worst case scenario (in some places, it's way cheaper,
    especially if you already subscribe to cable TV).

    Now, once 1xEV-DO is launched, this MAY change, and Sprint MIGHT be more
    willing to let people use their computers permanently on the network, at
    lower prices. But, no one knows for sure yet. In the here and now
    though, swallowing your pride and going with cable, at least until we
    can see how 1xEV-DO pans out, might be the best option.

    In any case, even if you really want to go with Sprint for data no
    matter what, you will STILL want to wait until they have an EV-DO card
    for sale, considering it promises a much faster speed than the current
    1xRTT data network.

    > 3. I don't have a laptop but I know you can get a type 2 PCMCIA slot on my
    > pc. Would a connection card still work with the PC?

    Yes, but that would be even more of an expense than is already proposed.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Tom85 wrote:
    > Did you check to see if there is a any wireless providers in your area?

    While waiting for my 3 MBps DSL to be installed, I used my Sanyo
    tethered to my laptop for internet access because the two wireless
    providers in my area were not equipped to do "roaming" from tower to
    tower, i.e. you were placed on a particular tower's segment and that was
    that.

    I just deployed my own private WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider)
    Access Point on a church on the highest point of the county and have
    full city wide 802.11a (5.8 GHz) DSL access.

    "DecTxCowboy" <dfw_nada_spamo_ramp@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > I just deployed my own private WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider)
    > Access Point on a church on the highest point of the county and have full
    > city wide 802.11a (5.8 GHz) DSL access.

    Would that be the old Baptist College facility?

    "Diego A. M." <diego47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > First of all I want to say that this is the most informative forum I have
    > ever been to.
    >
    > But I'm here for some advice. I just got a second Sanyo 4920 for my wife.
    > tried the LG blue tooth for about 2 weeks but the blue tooth functions
    were
    > so limited I had to return it. I could barely get a number to dial
    correctly
    > from my iPAQ. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be changing my current
    home
    > number to my wife's second 4920. When I do this I'm going to loose my
    > landline internet connection. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I use my 4920 to connect to the internet? If so what kind of
    speed?
    > What equipment do I need or have to invest in? I have a lousy 26k because
    > of my location. I don't want to support the cable companies and there is
    no
    > DSL coverage in my area (yet). I also can't afford the satellite setup
    and
    > connection. I think anything would be an improvement unless it gets very
    > expensive.

    Yes, you can use your phone to connect, with Vision service on your account.
    More below ...

    > 2. If no, is a connection card worth the investment? I really want to
    get
    > rid of the house phone but I need the internet. Is there a site where I
    can
    > get prices, speeds, and coverage with the connection cards? I don't ever
    get
    > dropped calls with Sprint at my home so I wonder if a connection card
    would
    > work the same?

    It's going to be expensive to do it via the card. First the expense of the
    card, and then, the additional phone cost. If you can qualify as a business,
    you can get an unlimited plan for $80/mo, same as what Verizon offers. You
    can expect speeds average between 50kbps to 70 kbps.

    > 3. I don't have a laptop but I know you can get a type 2 PCMCIA slot on
    my
    > pc. Would a connection card still work with the PC?

    Yes, it would. Your best bet for internet at this time is via your local
    cable service. Most services average monthly expense between $42 to $50 /
    mo.

    Bob

    What does it mean "if you can qualify as a business"?

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > What does it mean "if you can qualify as a business"?
    >
    > > It's going to be expensive to do it via the card. First the expense of
    the
    > > card, and then, the additional phone cost. If you can qualify as a
    > > business,
    > > you can get an unlimited plan for $80/mo, same as what Verizon offers.
    You
    > > can expect speeds average between 50kbps to 70 kbps.

    SPCS does not offer unlimited Vision to the regular joe blow ... For the
    regular business, SPCS only offers 300 MB per month for $80. The $80/mo.
    *Unlimited* Vision plan is only listed on the sprintpcs business page. -
    http://www.sprint.com/business/products/offers/offerPCSVision.jsp You can
    see what's necessary to qualify as a business on their web site.

    Bob
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Diego A. M." <diego47@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MSo%d.157127$Th1.110119@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > I don't want to support the cable companies and there is no
    > DSL coverage in my area (yet).

    Are you sure? Try here:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/search

    Also, look into fixed wireless:
    http://www.bbwexchange.com/wisps

    --
    John Richards
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Thurman wrote:
    > Would that be the old Baptist College facility?
    Am working with them to use that as a southern AP later this month.

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers