Sign in with
Your question

64bit WIndows 7 and 8gb RAM

Last response: in Windows 7
June 25, 2012 11:23:25 AM

For a moment I decided to go from 4gb of RAM and 32bit Vista to 8gb of RAM and Windows 7. I thought I have the money so why not do it but then I started thinking that 250$ for both IS quite a lot of money.
So I'm not sure about it any more. So I have some questions.
Would I be notice any changes gaming wise?
Should I spend the money upgrading my PC in other ways?
What would you spend the money on?

More about : 64bit windows 8gb ram

June 25, 2012 11:54:32 AM

Windows 7 is worth the upgrade, but you won't notice much, if any difference to games performance by increasing the RAM. In order to see improvements there, then a CPU or GFX upgrade would be more advisable.
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 12:11:08 PM

Personally I feel that upgrading to Windows 7 64bit and 8GB worth of memory is worth it. I personally wouldn't suggest spending money on a CPU and GFX card without knowing what you already have...
Related resources
June 25, 2012 1:07:12 PM

It's worth the upgrade if your CPU and GPU are up to date to run the latest games and software. If not, then focus your spending on upgrading the CPU or GPU first.
June 25, 2012 1:51:49 PM

Please understand this: most of todays games are 32-bit binaries, meaning they are limited to 4GB address space (which any 4KB slice can be either in RAM or swap) out of which 2GB are reserved to the OS (low-level APIs that any app uses to access system services). The rest of the RAM will be used by OS and background apps. But the most important piece that could use extra RAM is caching. With 4GB of RAM (on 64-bit OS) you could still get at least 1GB of caching, which I would say it's enough for even the most hardcore game.

In short, I don't think 4-to-8GB is really necessary today. It's a luxury. If you can game fine in a 32-bit windows (which cannot access much beyond 3GB itself) you will get the 64-bit GPU drivers advantage and the extra disabled RAM by just switching to 64-bit Windows. Leave the 8GB upgrade for later. Until games transition to 64-bit binaries, it won't help in games.
June 25, 2012 1:58:26 PM

Ov3rdose said:
For a moment I decided to go from 4gb of RAM and 32bit Vista to 8gb of RAM and Windows 7. I thought I have the money so why not do it but then I started thinking that 250$ for both IS quite a lot of money.
So I'm not sure about it any more. So I have some questions.
Would I be notice any changes gaming wise?
Should I spend the money upgrading my PC in other ways?
What would you spend the money on?

Hi, have a look at these articles as they explore the benefit of extra memory on performance and gaming:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/memory-module-upgrade,rev...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ram-memory-upgrade,review...

They should help you decide.

There is also an article on tomshardware that explores the relationship between graphics card memory and system memory, but sadly I cannot find the link.
June 25, 2012 4:06:01 PM

At the moment I have a Phenom II 955 and in the process of buying a HD7850. And I still can not decide. It looks like it won't make a big difference in games but i do have lot of programs running while I'm playing. So maybe it would help.Buying a 64bit Windows 7 is quite expensive but having the rest of my PC at quite a nice spot I don't know on what else to spend it.
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 4:46:17 PM

8gb of ram will let windows keep more code in ram, available for instant reuse.
If you are multitasking, it will reduce interference with games.
Here is one study on the value of 8gb:
http://www.corsair.com/blog/an902-8gb-or-more-of-system...

I don't see where it would cost you $250.

Windows 7 upgrade kit is $110. I prefer it to oem because it is considered as retail which gives you MS support, and can be transferred freely to a new pc. If, by any chance, you need two pc's to be uppgraded to windows 7., there is a family pack with three upgrade licenses for $130 or so:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade...

Not knowing your motherboard, 8gb of 2 x 4gb ddr3 1600 ram is $50, 4gb is half that.

If you change the os to a 64 bit version, you will need to do a clean install. It would be an opportune time to buy a ssd.
It is one of the most effective ps upgrades you can do. a 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games. Use your hard drive for overflow and storage of large files. My preferred brands are Intel and samsung for reliability.
June 25, 2012 5:06:37 PM

The thing is that I don't want to buy an OEM and can't buy a upgrade. So retail version is my only option and it costs 150 euros and RAM would be 40 euros. So it would be around 250 usd.
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 5:38:50 PM

Ov3rdose said:
The thing is that I don't want to buy an OEM and can't buy a upgrade. So retail version is my only option and it costs 150 euros and RAM would be 40 euros. So it would be around 250 usd.

Why can't you buy an upgrade version?
You qualify with a copy of vista. Yes, you will need to do a clean install when converting from 32 bit to 64 bit, but that is supported with the upgrade package.
June 25, 2012 5:57:24 PM

I can't buy an upgrade because as far as I know no store in my country has them in stock. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 6:00:49 PM

Ov3rdose said:
I can't buy an upgrade because as far as I know no store in my country has them in stock. :( 

Crazy :( 

Keep looking. Perhaps they call it something else.
Or, get someone to mail you one from elsewhere.
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 6:07:56 PM

Ov3rdose said:

You can't buy directly from Microsoft? I don't know if this works outside the US or not but if so you just download Windows 7 and mount it to a disk.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productI...
June 26, 2012 11:43:20 AM

I found a place that is willing to order in some Windows 7 VUP. And it will cost 140$ and thanks to that I will save 55$.
!