Asterisk Air ground communication

Last response: in Network Providers
March 21, 2005 1:26:22 PM

Hello everybody,

Is there a way that Asterisk can be configured for providing Voice over
IP telephonic communication from a ground controller to an aircraft??
There are protocols like Space Control Protocol Standards. But are they
compatible with Asterisk. Session Initiation protocols works with
Asterisk but can they be used for Aircraft-ground communication
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:44:11 PM

<gaurav_sa2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way that Asterisk can be configured for providing Voice over
> IP telephonic communication from a ground controller to an aircraft??

Sounds like a plot for a terrorist movie.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:31:11 AM

On 21 Mar 2005 10:26:22 -0800, gaurav_sa2002@hotmail.com wrote:

>Is there a way that Asterisk can be configured for providing Voice over
>IP telephonic communication from a ground controller to an aircraft??

Not without special hardware, not Stateside.

>There are protocols like Space Control Protocol Standards.

Yep. Found them at
http://www.scps.org

> But are they compatible with Asterisk.
?

No, because the point of Asterisk is to emulate a PBX, not a TCP device.

>Session Initiation protocols works with
>Asterisk but can they be used for Aircraft-ground communication

No. They do not include the FCC-required abilities to control the
transmitter, change frequencies, and so forth. You will need a custom
interface which will listen for DTMF tones and perform transceiver control.

I'd suggest you explain, in detail, exactly what you want to do. And, this
discussion is a little far afield in a SprintPCS group, for PCS in the name
of this newsgroup is Personal Communications System, the FCC's term for
enhanced cellular-like services in the area of 1800-1960 MHz. Schlep it
over to rec.aviation and/or comp.dcom.voice-over-ip for greater success.

--
The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.

K7AAY wrote:

>>But are they compatible with Asterisk.
>
> No, because the point of Asterisk is to emulate a PBX, not a TCP device.

Beg to differ here. Asterisk can speak SIP and act as a SIP server. SIP is the
protocol typically used on VoIP phones. Asterisk also has an IAX protocol
designed for Asterisk to Asterisk communications.

> I'd suggest you explain, in detail, exactly what you want to do. And, this
> discussion is a little far afield in a SprintPCS group, for PCS in the name
> of this newsgroup is Personal Communications System, the FCC's term for
> enhanced cellular-like services in the area of 1800-1960 MHz. Schlep it
> over to rec.aviation and/or comp.dcom.voice-over-ip for greater success.

Good suggestion.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
!