Clie TH55 MP3 problem

June 28, 2004 6:37:02 PM

Hi, I just got a TH55. Like it fairly well so far. I'm trying to play
mp3 files, however, and am running into a problem.

I've previously made mp3 files out of a number of my cds, using
various Creative Labs software (I've got a C.L. mp3 player). I
transferred a few of the mp3 files over to the TH55, using the Data
Import/Data Export method. Seems to have worked fine-- the files show
up in the MSAUDIO directory with the proper file sizes.

However, when I try to play any mp3 file in the AudioPlayer, I get
this error message: "The track is unavailable for one of the following
reasons: the card is write-protected or does not support copyright
control, or the track file is corrupted." Also, the audio files show
up as being 0 seconds long.

The card is not write protected; the track files are likely not
corrupted, so from the error message I guess it's likely a copyright
control issue--but I don't see why that would be an issue for mp3
files I created myself.

Anyway, how do I play these mp3 files on my TH55? Do I have the
AudioPlayer configured incorrectly? Must I alter the files somehow (I
don't want to do that for the 100+ CDs I own)? Is there another
(preferably free) software I should use? Is there something simple I'm
not grasping?

Thanks for any help,

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****

More about : clie th55 mp3 problem

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:35:24 PM

Get Ptunes -- works great.
-------------------------------------

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:37:02 -0500, John S. Colton
<colton.idislikespam.john@uwlax.edu> wrote:

>Hi, I just got a TH55. Like it fairly well so far. I'm trying to play
>mp3 files, however, and am running into a problem.
>
>I've previously made mp3 files out of a number of my cds, using
>various Creative Labs software (I've got a C.L. mp3 player). I
>transferred a few of the mp3 files over to the TH55, using the Data
>Import/Data Export method. Seems to have worked fine-- the files show
>up in the MSAUDIO directory with the proper file sizes.
>
>However, when I try to play any mp3 file in the AudioPlayer, I get
>this error message: "The track is unavailable for one of the following
>reasons: the card is write-protected or does not support copyright
>control, or the track file is corrupted." Also, the audio files show
>up as being 0 seconds long.
>
>The card is not write protected; the track files are likely not
>corrupted, so from the error message I guess it's likely a copyright
>control issue--but I don't see why that would be an issue for mp3
>files I created myself.
>
>Anyway, how do I play these mp3 files on my TH55? Do I have the
>AudioPlayer configured incorrectly? Must I alter the files somehow (I
>don't want to do that for the 100+ CDs I own)? Is there another
>(preferably free) software I should use? Is there something simple I'm
>not grasping?
>
>Thanks for any help,
>
>John
>

>*****
>John's newsgroup motto:
>"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
>but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
>*****
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:44:47 PM

In article <bbs0e0t2mfake4bhh5cl1fnofm8dc6d9l3@4ax.com>, John S. Colton
<colton.idislikespam.john@uwlax.edu> wrote:

> Anyway, how do I play these mp3 files on my TH55? Do I have the
> AudioPlayer configured incorrectly? Must I alter the files somehow (I
> don't want to do that for the 100+ CDs I own)? Is there another
> (preferably free) software I should use? Is there something simple I'm
> not grasping?

Have you checked the manual, electronic or otherwise?
June 29, 2004 12:37:28 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:44:47 GMT, Guy Bannis wrote:

>In article <bbs0e0t2mfake4bhh5cl1fnofm8dc6d9l3@4ax.com>, John S. Colton
><colton.idislikespam.john@uwlax.edu> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, how do I play these mp3 files on my TH55? Do I have the
>> AudioPlayer configured incorrectly? Must I alter the files somehow (I
>> don't want to do that for the 100+ CDs I own)? Is there another
>> (preferably free) software I should use? Is there something simple I'm
>> not grasping?
>
>Have you checked the manual, electronic or otherwise?

Yes, I've checked the manual and the knowledge base on the sony
website. They don't mention this particular error, AFAICT.

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:18:11 PM

>> <colton.idislikespam.john@uwlax.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, how do I play these mp3 files on my TH55? Do I have the
>>> AudioPlayer configured incorrectly? Must I alter the files somehow (I
>>> don't want to do that for the 100+ CDs I own)?

One possibility that comes to mind - are the files "MP3pro" format?
Which, despite the name, are not MP3s and will not play on a standard
MP3 player.

Steve
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:18:12 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:18:11 GMT, Steve Mowbray wrote:

>One possibility that comes to mind - are the files "MP3pro" format?
>Which, despite the name, are not MP3s and will not play on a standard
>MP3 player.

I doubt it, but I haven't heard of MP3pro before. I play them on my
Creative Nomad Jukebox, which AFAIK only plays mp3 files.

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:25:30 PM

If anyone cares, I think I've got it figured out. I recorded my mp3
files using variable bit rate; the Audio Player can only handle fixed
bit rate.

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:52:16 PM

I've also discovered that the TH55 built in audio player can't handle 56K
fixed bit rate mono mp3 files. These files were made with Fraunhofer
software. Fraunhofer invented mp3! It looks like one should invent in
alternative software if you really want to use this feature. As it is, I was
just playing.

Cheers,
Mike H.

!