Sign in with
Your question

Defragmenting tool & an MMC.exe error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 26, 2002 12:07:17 AM

the subject says it all, when i try and use the defrag tool after right clicking on a drive it gives me an mmc.exe error. it also says it created a log file, just not what directory it in. anyone know where Win2k puts the error logs?
the knowledge base at microsoft.com didnt have anything on the mmc.exe error(big surprise).

the error check & backup utilities both launch fine.
its only the defrag tool.

it seems im very skilled at getting errors and problems with windows that no one else gets, even though i follow all the same advice on tweaking & stable operation tips, etc.

i hope im wrong and that everyone but me knows how to fix this?
April 26, 2002 1:28:05 AM

start -> settings -> control pannel -> administration utilities -> event viewer

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!
April 26, 2002 1:51:44 AM

win2k sp2
512 PC2100
xp 1600+
MSI via kt266a board(4in1 installed)
40gig hd partitioned up pretty crazy like(7).
sb live, etc.

this is what it had in the event viewer:

The application, mmc.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/25/2002 @ 17:42:51.968 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7800209A (wcsncpy)

i just performed a full error check on one of the less used paritioned & tried to defrag it to be sure it wasnt a hd problem, no luck same error.
Related resources
April 26, 2002 8:47:01 AM

try extracting mmc.exe to your system32 folder

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
April 26, 2002 12:31:04 PM

You could also see if the MMC will execute from the RUN menu. Just go start > Run >> type mmc >>> hit OK. If it has a problem running from their it has nothing to do with defrag, but with the <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitwork..." target="_new">Microsoft Management Console</A>.

If the MMC is damaged, that would be a major problem imo. No?

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
April 26, 2002 2:58:19 PM

if it IS mmc causing the prob- which I think it is, and extracting it doesnt work - which I dont think it will, then yes, it would be a major problem.

April 29, 2002 2:48:48 PM

i run mmc and a console thing comes up also i found the mmc exe in system32 and running the exe works ok with no errors.

so does that mean its just the defrag? and how is it possible to fix that?
April 29, 2002 2:51:44 PM

as I said earlier, try extracting dfrg.msc

April 29, 2002 4:08:05 PM

CALV is probably on the right track.

You could also try making another MMC snap-in for the defrag tool to. Click on Console and goto Add/Remove Snap-in. Click on Add and choose the Disk Defragmenter. You should be able to save that mmc snap-in and it will show under administrative tools.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
April 30, 2002 11:31:58 AM

where do i extract dfrg.msc from?
i searched for it and the only file was the one thats already in system32.

it gives me the same error when i try and add another snap-in =(
April 30, 2002 11:34:35 AM

you need to extract it off the cd
as mentioned above, try a custom mmc

!