I can't Install windows 8 64bit!

BrightFlight

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
HELP

I'm someone who decided to build a desktop for the experience just built one

Well I bought Windows 8 Pro pack and when I tried to install Windows 8 64bit I get this message

Windows Setup
"Your Installation Media cannot be used to install Windows.

Your current version of Windows is 32-Bit and does not match the architecture of the 64-Bit installation media. Please insert the 32-Bit media and restart Windows Setup"

That's the message I get when I try to install Windows 8 64-Bit but I am able to install 32-Bit

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3770

Motherboard: Sabertooth z77

GPU: Asus GTX 650 Ti

RAM: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB = 8GB

Please help, I can't find a forum that has the problem, I've installed all the drivers and I can't seem to install it

Thanks in advance

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I'm not entirely familiar with Windows 8, however, I'm very familiar with Win7 and in the case of win7 Microsoft shipped two different discs: one with the 32bit version of windows and the other with the 64bit version of windows. If you wanted to install the 64 bit version of windows and only had the 32 bit version it was physically impossible to do so as they're coded completely different and required the correct disc to install.

Sounds like you might have the same problem. Did you order a 32 bit windows 8 disc or a 64 bit disc? Cause my money's on the former.

BrightFlight

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
The Windows 8 pro pack had come with two disks, one for 64-Bit and the other 32-Bit
When I had tried the 64-Bit it had that message wouldn't install

When I tried to install the 32-Bit, It would just do a normal installation from the disk

I have tried both disks.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You need to do what Baladin said. Put in the 64-bit disc and boot from it. If you try to install 64-bit windows from within an existing 32bit windows installation it won't work because the code is incompatible. A 32 bit OS can't load the 64 bit installation files.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

When you do this it will be a clean install and reformat the boot drive. Caution, Will Robinson, there is a danger that you will lose all of your data. Make sure everything is backed up. Save your browser bookmarks, cookies & feeds if you want to recover them.

BrightFlight

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello everybody! I have tried what Baladin and s3anister said and it still won't install.
After I put in the windows product key, It tells me to restart the computer so it will turn on normally and restart the installation but when I restart it, It just has the same message

baladin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I can't understand what you mean by this:
"It tells me to restart the computer so it will turn on normally and restart the installation"
I have installed Windows 8 several times but I don't think it ever "tells me to restart", rather it tells me it will restart several times BY ITSELF during the installation. Is that what you meant or do you actually have to click or <enter>?
Also, does the MESSAGE say "so it will turn on normally" or are these your words? It just doesn't sound like Microsoft, LOL
IIRC the installation asks for the product key AFTER it has re-booted the system at least once, so that would mean it's booting from hard disk.
In fact, re-reading your post, I can't actually understand any part of it.
The last bit " but when I restart it, It just has the same message", what message is that ?? The message in your first post about 32/64-bit ?

If you can clarify these points, I'm sure that we can work it all out.

Peter Cox

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Peter Cox

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I'm also wondering how it is done.
I'm trying to install from the MSDN X64 win8 download. I first tried to upgrade the win7 x64 installation and got this odd message
Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically.
No idea what that was meant to mean so abandoned the upgrade and performed a fresh install, wiping out the win7 installation
Install completed ok and everything runs, however when I checked the system it says running 32bit os on 64bit capable cpu.
Figurings that MS had mis-labelled the MSDN downloads I booted the x86 win8 install dvd, wiped out the old install and completed the new install. Still says I'm running a 32 bit os.
I originally downloaded the dvd's in January so am in the process of downloading the x64 install dvd again to see if there is some difference.
Is there meant to be an option selection in the process as to what I want to install. Possibly it is an MSDN issue at the dvd's are multi version dvds (Pro an Retail) and the install you select is based upon the key you enter

baladin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
You're right, the product key determines the type of Windows 8, but not the 32/64-bit. I hope I'm right about this. They are different ISO images. The 32-bit ISO is about 2.4 GB, while the 64-bit is 3.3 GB. I have also installed from MSDN downloads and have never encountered any issues installing or using either version, 32 or 64. I use the same product key.
In a nutshell, you boot from DVD or USB stick and select a FULL install. You can format a partition or just use the whole disk. It's normally a very easy install, but takes a few minutes longer than Windows 7.
I was going to offer a detailed install log/instructions to the OP, but he seems to have disappeared. I'm happy to still do that if it helps you, but you seem to have a pretty good understanding.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
You may need to install Windows 8 (not pro) 64 bit before you can upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro x64 with the Pro Pack. I don't have the link but Microsoft has a link that will allow you to download the Windows 8 ISOs based on your product key.

Note: Any time you move from 32 bit to 64 bit you will have to perform a clean install. Backup your data onto an external harddrive before starting the new install.

Peter Cox

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I was trying to upgrade win7 x64 ultimate to win8 x64 pro. I have what MSDN says are an x86 and x64 dvd and keys for retail and pro. The x86 dvd is 2 gb and change and the x64 is 3 gb and change.
I first tried booting to the x64 dvd and selecting upgrade and it told me to do the upgrade from withing my existing windows installation. When I did that I received the message
Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically. - I get that message when I use either dvd which makes me think there's something faulty with the x64 dvd.
I then tried a clean install to an new disk with the x64 dvd which ran to normal completion however when I checked the system it showed 32bit OS on a 64bit capable cpu it's an I3-2120.
I did another install with the x86 dvd and it showed the same.
It makes no sense to me so I tried contacting MSDN support and then found my subsciber id, though active, expired 1/2/2013 and the the PO for the 3 year renewal has not yet processed.

Guess I'll have to wait for the PO to clear through and ask again.
When you install from the x64 dvd is it this one en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso and did you ever check the system setup to see if it was really a 64 bit install.
Maybe I'l try downloading the UK x64 bit iso and see if I get the same result

baladin

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I've got the same ISO
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440
The best thing to do is to compare the SHA1 checksum with the published value on MSDN, there is no need to download the ISO again. It would be very unlikely that a corrupted download would 'convert' it to 32-bit, no way, it might not even install.
Yes, I have checked in my system information and it says:
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor.
This is a weird problem. Unless you have made a mistake with the 'wrong' ISO, which is pretty unlikely, I can only think of some compatibility issue with your hardware. But it worked as 64-bit in Windows 7.
Sorry, I'm out of ideas, you might have to get help from MS after all.

viafax999

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

I was trying to upgrade win 7 x64 so I guess the machine supports 64 bit os's
No way I would want to do a clean install with all the software that's on this machine. I just abandoned it and stayed with Windows 7 - hate the windows 8 interface anyway and see no real gain to going to it.