Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
hey,
first the blazin system:
Asus p4s533-e
p4 2.4 533fsb
radeon 9700
win xp pro

I started off with 256MB 333ddr ram. This was causing huge file swapping since winxp is a hog. I upgraded and purchased the same generic brand but a 512 stick to get 768mb total. I stuck it in dimm2 and the system wouldnt boot. So i took out the 256 thinking it didnt want to play nice and just stuck in the 512 into dimm1.
everyhting worked fine.

I started tinkering with the 256 stick cause i didnt want it to go to waste and stuck it into dimm3 thinking the bigger stick should come first. It did work, but whenever i ran games it would CTD after a short while. So i moved it to dimm2 thinking they have to be next to eachother and now it works much better but still CTD sometime but alot less often. Is there anything i can do about this? im trying to find out if it happens when it tries to adress the second stick?

thanks,
raf

raf1

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
then why did they both work by themselves?
the only time there were problems was when they were both used.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
because when you use them individually not all the memory is actually used by windows. When you put them together the addressing changes and parts of the ram that were not being accessed before may be accessed. Run a memtest... double check your bios settings and timings...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!