Afrika: In development

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2005 8:50:18 PM

I suspect that like most people here I've got a home brewed project that's
been sitting on the back burner for a while now. It's high time to push
those projects forward a burner or two!

I would like to announce that AFRIKA is in development and will be available
for the Windows operating system later this year.

AFRIKA covers the war in the Western Desert in WWII, from 1940 through to
1942 at a divisional level. Units range in size from independent companies
through to army group HQs; turns represent one week of real time; hexes
cover 20km of land. (Yes, turns & hexes!)

The game system is traditional, and contains many tried and proven features:
from hexes and turns through to a combat result table. Play by e-mail and
against the computer are both supported. AFRIKA will be available directly
from the Mike Kreuzer web site. The price and exact release date are not yet
set. A more detailed preview and a public beta/demo, covering Operation
Crusader, are planned for release in the next few months.

Needless to say, going public with my first game design is a little scary,
but at the same time it's great to be able to give something back to the
hobby.

Find out more about AFRIKA, slated for release later this year and playable
on the Windows operating system, at http://www.mikekreuzer.com/afrika.htm

Regards, Mike Kreuzer
Finally putting his money where his mouth is. :-)

More about : afrika development

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:50:19 PM

Mike Kreuzer schreef:

> I would like to announce that AFRIKA is in development and will be
available
> for the Windows operating system later this year.

Congrats on your first "baby" :)  - I took the liberty of posting this
info in the Wargamer news section to provide you with an extra stimulus
to finish this game and to give you some initial pr & website traffic.

The screenshots look great - looking forward to the demo.

Expect some publishers to knock on your door :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:50:19 PM

Mike;

Best of luck! Start working on a thick skin. Never take an advance from a
publisher, never surrender or share ownership, and never sign a contract
that does not have an exit clause.

Best regards, Major H.
May 17, 2005 8:50:20 PM

Major H schreef:

> Never take an advance from a
> publisher, never surrender or share ownership, and never sign a
contract
> that does not have an exit clause.

Solid advice, but before you're totally scared of those "evil
publishers" and decide to self-publish it's also good to have a look at
the advantages of going with a publisher :

- distribution and payment - accepting various credit cards is a must
- game forum - a gathering place - essential in my eyes.
- graphics & sound that take the game that extra bit further.
- a wider audience for your game, pr, ..

Self-publishing means a lot of work. I've just received a mail today
confirming that the self-published Paper Wars cd I ordered (and paid
for) back in july 2004 is finally in the duplication stage ...

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:36:11 PM

In article <42899465@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, mikekreuzer@SAMEAGAIN.com
says...
> I suspect that like most people here I've got a home brewed project that's
> been sitting on the back burner for a while now. It's high time to push
> those projects forward a burner or two!
>
> I would like to announce that AFRIKA is in development and will be available
> for the Windows operating system later this year.
>
> AFRIKA covers the war in the Western Desert in WWII, from 1940 through to
> 1942 at a divisional level. Units range in size from independent companies
> through to army group HQs; turns represent one week of real time; hexes
> cover 20km of land. (Yes, turns & hexes!)
>
> The game system is traditional, and contains many tried and proven features:
> from hexes and turns through to a combat result table. Play by e-mail and
> against the computer are both supported. AFRIKA will be available directly
> from the Mike Kreuzer web site. The price and exact release date are not yet
> set. A more detailed preview and a public beta/demo, covering Operation
> Crusader, are planned for release in the next few months.
>
> Needless to say, going public with my first game design is a little scary,
> but at the same time it's great to be able to give something back to the
> hobby.
>
> Find out more about AFRIKA, slated for release later this year and playable
> on the Windows operating system, at http://www.mikekreuzer.com/afrika.htm
>
> Regards, Mike Kreuzer
> Finally putting his money where his mouth is. :-)

Eddie's right. The screenshots do look nice. Any idea yet what you
will charge for it?
--

Epi

------------
Imagine that there is clothing that can be seen
through by anyone wearing some special glasses.
It was all on the up-and-up. People who bought
the clothing knew what it was. Someone could be
walking the downtown of some major metropolis fully
nude to anyone wearing the glasses, but they would
seem fully clothed to everyone else.
How would the law view this?
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:38:22 PM

> Self-publishing means a lot of work. I've just received a mail today
> confirming that the self-published Paper Wars cd I ordered (and paid
> for) back in july 2004 is finally in the duplication stage ...
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Damn! You're impatient aren't you?
--

Epi

------------
Imagine that there is clothing that can be seen
through by anyone wearing some special glasses.
It was all on the up-and-up. People who bought
the clothing knew what it was. Someone could be
walking the downtown of some major metropolis fully
nude to anyone wearing the glasses, but they would
seem fully clothed to everyone else.
How would the law view this?
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:24:19 PM

Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1cf3f614b4fa89ac9896e8
@news.east.earthlink.net:

>> Self-publishing means a lot of work. I've just received a mail today
>> confirming that the self-published Paper Wars cd I ordered (and paid
>> for) back in july 2004 is finally in the duplication stage ...
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Eddy Sterckx
>
> Damn! You're impatient aren't you?

I mailed the guy about every month asking for an update - by now
Pavlovian response has set in : he's so much expecting my mails I think
if I skipped a month he would inquire about my health :)

[and if the cd is half of what I expect it to be, I'll be plugging it in
here too]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

Thank you very much, I can do with all the extra PR, and stimulus that I can
get!

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Mike Kreuzer schreef:
>
>> I would like to announce that AFRIKA is in development and will be
> available
>> for the Windows operating system later this year.
>
> Congrats on your first "baby" :)  - I took the liberty of posting this
> info in the Wargamer news section to provide you with an extra stimulus
> to finish this game and to give you some initial pr & website traffic.
>
> The screenshots look great - looking forward to the demo.
>
> Expect some publishers to knock on your door :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

May 18, 2005 1:19:10 AM

"Mike Kreuzer" <mikekreuzer@SAMEAGAIN.com> wrote in message
> I suspect that like most people here I've got a home brewed project that's
> been sitting on the back burner for a while now. It's high time to push
> those projects forward a burner or two!
>
> I would like to announce that AFRIKA is in development and will be
available
> for the Windows operating system later this year.
>
> AFRIKA covers the war in the Western Desert in WWII, from 1940 through to
> 1942 at a divisional level. Units range in size from independent companies
> through to army group HQs; turns represent one week of real time; hexes
> cover 20km of land. (Yes, turns & hexes!)
>
> The game system is traditional, and contains many tried and proven
features:
> from hexes and turns through to a combat result table. Play by e-mail and
> against the computer are both supported. AFRIKA will be available directly
> from the Mike Kreuzer web site. The price and exact release date are not
yet
> set. A more detailed preview and a public beta/demo, covering Operation
> Crusader, are planned for release in the next few months.
>
> Needless to say, going public with my first game design is a little scary,
> but at the same time it's great to be able to give something back to the
> hobby.
>
> Find out more about AFRIKA, slated for release later this year and
playable
> on the Windows operating system, at http://www.mikekreuzer.com/afrika.htm
>
> Regards, Mike Kreuzer
> Finally putting his money where his mouth is. :-)

Best of luck ! Like the looks/info. so far, and I'll be keeping on eye
on it, fwiw.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:11:11 AM

Mike Kreuzer schreef:
> I though Paper Wars was a magazine. What
> cd? Is there a web site?

Cd : It's 27 back-issues of the magazine in PDF format. (the website
says 26 ???)

http://www.omegagames.com/omega/do/military/paperwars/A...

PDF's are searchabable - much better than rifling through a stack of
paper to find a half-page review of a Falklands game you read about 10
years ago :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:49:58 PM

"Epi" <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Eddie's right. The screenshots do look nice. Any idea yet what you
> will charge for it?
> --

Thank you.

Not really a firm idea on the price yet. There are a few different levels
of polished-ness, for want of a better word, that I could finish the game
at. Which one of those I end up at will have a lot to do with the price.
Also, I want my game design buddies here to have a good chance to play with
the game and tell me how good or otherwise it is. Around the time of the
demo I should have a much better idea. The usual sort of process, I expect.
Though I haven't done this before, so maybe it's not!

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:52:15 PM

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1cf3f614b4fa89ac9896e8
> @news.east.earthlink.net:
>
>>> Self-publishing means a lot of work. I've just received a mail today
>>> confirming that the self-published Paper Wars cd I ordered (and paid
>>> for) back in july 2004 is finally in the duplication stage ...
>>>
>>> Greetz,
>>>
>>> Eddy Sterckx
>>
>> Damn! You're impatient aren't you?
>
> I mailed the guy about every month asking for an update - by now
> Pavlovian response has set in : he's so much expecting my mails I think
> if I skipped a month he would inquire about my health :)
>
> [and if the cd is half of what I expect it to be, I'll be plugging it in
> here too]

[Showing his ignorance, again] I though Paper Wars was a magazine. What
cd? Is there a web site?

[Back to me <g>] Many thanks for the kind comments & advice about the
publisher/self publish decision. I haven't decided where to go on that yet.
(Tongue in cheek mode on). I'm a wargamer, therefore a control freak with
no appreciation for flashy graphics,music or anything else; naturally the
self published route appeals. Then again, I moved from boardgames to
computer games precisely so I wouldn't have to stay up all night putting
game components in boxes. So who knows. (Mode off). You'll read about it
here first.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:35:52 PM

On 18 May 2005 00:11:11 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.omegagames.com/omega/do/military/paperwars/A...
>
>PDF's are searchabable - much better than rifling through a stack of
>paper to find a half-page review of a Falklands game you read about 10
>years ago :)

I'm glad you've been checking on it,Eddy. I assumed they had lost my
order until your post above indicating it's not been shipped yet. I'll
just stand mute since you're on the case!
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:56:36 AM

Giftzwerg schreef:

> The two great wargaming groups are not Horse & Musket vs. Modern, but

> counter-clippers vs. square-corners.
>
> Which are you?

This must be the most idiotic survey this decade, so count me in on
participating :)

non-clipper - using a machete instead.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:45:49 AM

Giftzwerg schreef:

> *Most Idiotic Survey*!!!
>
> I just experienced this giant rush of blood to my ego.

I'm not going to ask where that particular organ is located :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:42:06 PM

In article <1116503796.576832.18780@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> > The two great wargaming groups are not Horse & Musket vs. Modern, but
>
> > counter-clippers vs. square-corners.
> >
> > Which are you?
>
> This must be the most idiotic survey this decade, so count me in on
> participating :)

*Most Idiotic Survey*!!!

I just experienced this giant rush of blood to my ego.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"If a Qur'an had indeed been flushed, Muslims would have
justifiably been offended. They may justifiably have considered
the perpetrators boors, or barbarians, or hell-bound unbelievers.
They may justifiably have issued denunciations accordingly.
But that is all. To kill people thousands of miles away who had
nothing to do with the act, and to fulminate with threats and
murder against the entire Western world, all because of this alleged
act, is not just disproportionate. It is not just excessive. It is mad."

- Robert Spencer
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:32:18 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 07:16:59 -0400, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote:

>The two great wargaming groups are not Horse & Musket vs. Modern, but
>counter-clippers vs. square-corners.
>
>Which are you?
>
>I'm a clipper (except the bow and stern of ASL vehicles, of course...).

Clipper, but I don't clip them as radically as some do. Some counters
I've seen look like miniature hexagons, or even round. When I was a
kid I never clipped *any* counters. What a philistine.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:32:19 PM

In article <46uo811stfnifsupf3q0jsrfdrptdf5dj4@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
says...

> >The two great wargaming groups are not Horse & Musket vs. Modern, but
> >counter-clippers vs. square-corners.
> >
> >Which are you?
> >
> >I'm a clipper (except the bow and stern of ASL vehicles, of course...).
>
> Clipper, but I don't clip them as radically as some do. Some counters
> I've seen look like miniature hexagons, or even round. When I was a
> kid I never clipped *any* counters. What a philistine.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how we should deal with the "side-
clippers" - the guys who didn't clip off the corner and create an
octagon, but held the clippers perpendicular to the counter and just
neatened up the square corner by removing any paper flash.

Technically speaking, they're clipping. But the result isn't a clipped
corner. I'm tempted to leave them in the square-corner ranks.

[And then there's the issue of *when* the game got clipped. I knew some
OCD types who'd clip the corners as a matter of course when cutting out
the counters. I was always a "wait until we know if we're ever going to
play this again" sort of clipper...]

--
Giftzwerg
***
"If a Qur'an had indeed been flushed, Muslims would have
justifiably been offended. They may justifiably have considered
the perpetrators boors, or barbarians, or hell-bound unbelievers.
They may justifiably have issued denunciations accordingly.
But that is all. To kill people thousands of miles away who had
nothing to do with the act, and to fulminate with threats and
murder against the entire Western world, all because of this alleged
act, is not just disproportionate. It is not just excessive. It is mad."

- Robert Spencer
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:23:51 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:40:56 -0400, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now that I think about it, I wonder how we should deal with the "side-
>clippers" - the guys who didn't clip off the corner and create an
>octagon, but held the clippers perpendicular to the counter and just
>neatened up the square corner by removing any paper flash.

I think it's still clipping, although perhaps in a more anal fashion.
I've done that as well, usually for a specific reason--for example, I
did it with my 'For the People' counters, since I like the way the
counters fill the square spaces on the board. I imagine people also
clip in this fashion for AFV counters in the SL games, since the
corners of the counters are used to illustrate the facing.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:54:59 PM

Reformed clipper. I even clipped the unit icons in TacOps in the early
days. As I added more unit types I kept needing just "one more pixel" and
the clipping was gradually reduced until the current situation where only
the largest icon size is clipped and then only by two pixels per corner.

Best regards, Major H.
tacops@mac.com
http://www.battlefront.com/
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:09:02 AM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Giftzwerg mentioned

>In article <46uo811stfnifsupf3q0jsrfdrptdf5dj4@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
>says...
>
>> >The two great wargaming groups are not Horse & Musket vs. Modern, but
>> >counter-clippers vs. square-corners.
>> >
>> >Which are you?
>> >
>> >I'm a clipper (except the bow and stern of ASL vehicles, of course...).
>>
>> Clipper, but I don't clip them as radically as some do. Some counters
>> I've seen look like miniature hexagons, or even round. When I was a
>> kid I never clipped *any* counters. What a philistine.

I tried clipping but it didn't satisfy me completely, so I reverted to
normal counters pretty quickly.

>Now that I think about it, I wonder how we should deal with the "side-
>clippers" - the guys who didn't clip off the corner and create an
>octagon, but held the clippers perpendicular to the counter and just
>neatened up the square corner by removing any paper flash.

As one of those people (occasionally) I'm happy to be counted as a
square-cornerer. These days I only revert to any form of trimming when
I find it necessary to scalpel the counters out of the matrix to start
with in order to supplement the worn die-cutters the company has used.
Lots of flash thus trim.

>Technically speaking, they're clipping. But the result isn't a clipped
>corner. I'm tempted to leave them in the square-corner ranks.
>
>[And then there's the issue of *when* the game got clipped. I knew some
>OCD types who'd clip the corners as a matter of course when cutting out
>the counters. I was always a "wait until we know if we're ever going to
>play this again" sort of clipper...]

Actually, fully squared corners are an assist to line up those huge
stacks of unit and info counters. All you need to do is make up a pair
of tweezers with 45 degree angle faces and pick up a stack from
opposite corners. They fall into line very nicely like well-drilled
little troopies should.

What me? Obsessive? Never!! (g) (Parme while I just count the number
of tealeaves I have left here, then I have to align the coffee-beans.)
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:28:35 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:54:59 GMT, Major H <tacops@mac.com> wrote:

>Reformed clipper. I even clipped the unit icons in TacOps in the early
>days. As I added more unit types I kept needing just "one more pixel" and
>the clipping was gradually reduced until the current situation where only
>the largest icon size is clipped and then only by two pixels per corner.

But what is the point of the clipping? I used to play a lot of
wargames in highschool and college, so I have more of the old "map and
counters" games than I have computer games, but I never clipped any
corners off of my counters, and never knew anyone else who did that.
Also never heard any reference to it in game club meetings or in any
game magazines that I used to read. What is the purpose of it?

John
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:45:00 PM

I prefer to think of you as a lapsed clipper.

Also came up against the icon space problem, but the lure of clipped
counters was just too strong. Created my own fonts just to keep those
edges.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com
"Major H" <tacops@mac.com> wrote in message
> Reformed clipper. I even clipped the unit icons in TacOps in the early
> days. As I added more unit types I kept needing just "one more pixel" and
> the clipping was gradually reduced until the current situation where only
> the largest icon size is clipped and then only by two pixels per corner.
>
> Best regards, Major H.
> tacops@mac.com
> http://www.battlefront.com/

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:56:05 PM

"John Smith" <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message

> But what is the point of the clipping? I used to play a lot of

They stack better and are generally neater. You get rid of the nub where
the counter was attached to the sprue (unless it is a side nub, which is a
whole other question).

Never was a clipper until I bought a used a box of GMT's GBoH games where
all the counters were religiously clipped and sorted. Now I clip 9/10 of
games as I go.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:11:19 PM

In article <b1gq81lrtjr8d4cn65cjq46r15boraa4um@4ax.com>,
reply@this.newsgroup.com says...

> But what is the point of the clipping?

Some games featured counters which were only slightly smaller than the
hexes on the gameboard, and unless you clipped the counters slightly, a
corner of each counter intruded slightly into four adjacent hexes. When
counter densities were high - or when stacks were involved, this was a
problem.

A few games - NATO: THE NEXT WAR IN EUROPE springs to mind - had such
close tolerances and high densities and stacking that the game was
virtually impossible to manage (neatly...) unless the counters were
clipped.

> I used to play a lot of
> wargames in highschool and college, so I have more of the old "map and
> counters" games than I have computer games, but I never clipped any
> corners off of my counters, and never knew anyone else who did that.
> Also never heard any reference to it in game club meetings or in any
> game magazines that I used to read. What is the purpose of it?

Enough people were doing it that some computer games (TOAW) actually
feature "clipped" counters, even though it's wholly unnecessary in a PC
format.

It was also an easy way to clean up the flashing that was left on the
counters after even the most meticulous care in punching them out.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"If a Qur'an had indeed been flushed, Muslims would have
justifiably been offended. They may justifiably have considered
the perpetrators boors, or barbarians, or hell-bound unbelievers.
They may justifiably have issued denunciations accordingly.
But that is all. To kill people thousands of miles away who had
nothing to do with the act, and to fulminate with threats and
murder against the entire Western world, all because of this alleged
act, is not just disproportionate. It is not just excessive. It is mad."

- Robert Spencer
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:40:44 PM

> But what is the point of the clipping?

My recollection is that clipping began because of one or more of the early
Avalon Hill or SPI board wargames. The map hexes were smaller than the unit
markers on the diagonal so that the four corners of each marker poked into
adjacent hexes. Stacks in adjacent hexes thus interfered with one another
unless the markers were clipped. Clipping continued, even when not
necessary, because people simply thought it looked cool.

Best regards, Major H.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:18:15 PM

I think clippers are very weeerd.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:29:37 AM

In article <lvks811p8hg1be214a8r4s28g6t3hjeag2@4ax.com>,
dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke@compuserve.com says...
> I think clippers are very weeerd.
>

> Dav Vandenbroucke
> davanden at cox dot net

Yeah, but wierdness is what makes us human. Otherwise, you have people
like computers.
--

Epi

------------
Things I think about throughout the day:

"Play that funky music white boy"
"Play that donkey music farm boy"
"Play that monkey music Tarzan" (this one is a little different)
"Play that junkie music bong boy"
"Play that lunky music loy boy" (I don't really understand this one)
"Play that crunchy music cap'n" (this one is a little different too)

I think everyone should take a little time each day to contemplate the
weighty issues that affect our lives.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:49:45 PM

In message <Xns9659CE65DA196eddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.27>, Eddy
Sterckx <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> writes
>Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1cf3f614b4fa89ac9896e8
>@news.east.earthlink.net:
>
>>> Self-publishing means a lot of work. I've just received a mail today
>>> confirming that the self-published Paper Wars cd I ordered (and paid
>>> for) back in july 2004 is finally in the duplication stage ...
>>>
>>> Greetz,
>>>
>>> Eddy Sterckx
>>
>> Damn! You're impatient aren't you?
>
>I mailed the guy about every month asking for an update - by now
>Pavlovian response has set in : he's so much expecting my mails I think
>if I skipped a month he would inquire about my health :)
>
>[and if the cd is half of what I expect it to be, I'll be plugging it in
>here too]

So we can all order it for delivery in Summer 2006?
--
John Secker
Anonymous

I wrote:
>> But what is the point of the clipping?

<snip Gifty's reply>

OK, thanks. I remember having a few games w/ big stacks (esp a
homebrew "WW IV" game that a friend and I made up using SPI's WW III
map) but the counters usually fit the hexes OK, so clipping corners
didn't occur to us.

John
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:04:26 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:40:44 GMT, Major H <tacops@mac.com> wrote:

>> But what is the point of the clipping?
>
>My recollection is that clipping began because of one or more of the early
>Avalon Hill or SPI board wargames. The map hexes were smaller than the unit
>markers on the diagonal so that the four corners of each marker poked into
>adjacent hexes. Stacks in adjacent hexes thus interfered with one another
>unless the markers were clipped. Clipping continued, even when not
>necessary, because people simply thought it looked cool.
>
>Best regards, Major H.

OK, thanks for the explanation. Guess I just never ran into any games
with the too-small hexes (or would that be oversized counters?
whatever).

John
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:11:02 AM

Major H wrote:
> My recollection is that clipping began because of one or more of the early
> Avalon Hill or SPI board wargames.

Didn't the Rand games that came out at the end of the '70s have
rounded corners?

--
Jeff
Anonymous

In article <sJWdnappObn-iQ3fRVn-qQ@qx.net>, stalky@prodigy.net says...

> > My recollection is that clipping began because of one or more of the early
> > Avalon Hill or SPI board wargames.
>
> Didn't the Rand games that came out at the end of the '70s have
> rounded corners?

LUFTWAFFE even had round counters, IIRC...

--
Giftzwerg
***
"If a Qur'an had indeed been flushed, Muslims would have
justifiably been offended. They may justifiably have considered
the perpetrators boors, or barbarians, or hell-bound unbelievers.
They may justifiably have issued denunciations accordingly.
But that is all. To kill people thousands of miles away who had
nothing to do with the act, and to fulminate with threats and
murder against the entire Western world, all because of this alleged
act, is not just disproportionate. It is not just excessive. It is mad."

- Robert Spencer
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:51:16 PM

"Michael A. Oberly" <kitch@SPAMOFF columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> On 18 May 2005 00:11:11 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>http://www.omegagames.com/omega/do/military/paperwars/A...
>>
>>PDF's are searchabable - much better than rifling through a stack of
>>paper to find a half-page review of a Falklands game you read about 10
>>years ago :)
>
> I'm glad you've been checking on it,Eddy. I assumed they had lost my
> order until your post above indicating it's not been shipped yet. I'll
> just stand mute since you're on the case!

Looks to me like some of the heat and light might have gone out of the
electronic-only manual debate when people are willing to pay to get an
electronic version of a paper magazine. That's something ...

Thanks for the info, that's explained it.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:51:17 PM

> "Michael A. Oberly" <kitch@SPAMOFF columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On 18 May 2005 00:11:11 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
>> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.omegagames.com/omega/do/military/paperwars/A...
forw
>>>ard=pwcdrom.pagedef
>>>
>>>PDF's are searchabable - much better than rifling through a stack of
>>>paper to find a half-page review of a Falklands game you read about
>>>10 years ago :)
>>
>> I'm glad you've been checking on it,Eddy. I assumed they had lost my
>> order until your post above indicating it's not been shipped yet.
>> I'll just stand mute since you're on the case!
>
> Looks to me like some of the heat and light might have gone out of
> the electronic-only manual debate when people are willing to pay to
> get an electronic version of a paper magazine. That's something ...

It's back-issues - I know some wargamers who would pay *a lot* for a cd
with pdf back-issues of magazines like The General, S&T, The Wargamer,
The Courier etc. Even if they own the paper version.

Omegagames is the first to do so, I'm hoping for a success so other
publishers who are sitting on a stack of unused copyrighted material get
their act together.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:21:26 PM

As Major H said but also when pulling the counters out of the counter sheet
you got those little cardboard snots on the corners. So you really needed to
clean that up anyway so we went the extra step of clipping.

Now I assume everyone here also used tweezers? <G>

> On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:40:44 GMT, Major H <tacops@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>> But what is the point of the clipping?
>>
>>My recollection is that clipping began because of one or more of the early
>>Avalon Hill or SPI board wargames. The map hexes were smaller than the
>>unit
>>markers on the diagonal so that the four corners of each marker poked into
>>adjacent hexes. Stacks in adjacent hexes thus interfered with one another
>>unless the markers were clipped. Clipping continued, even when not
>>necessary, because people simply thought it looked cool.
>>
>>Best regards, Major H.
>

> OK, thanks for the explanation. Guess I just never ran into any games
> with the too-small hexes (or would that be oversized counters?
> whatever).
>
> John

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:43:19 AM

> Now I assume everyone here also used tweezers? <G>

Nope. Angled forceps.

Best regards, Major H.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:43:20 AM

Oh I guess you a little more professional. <g>

Next question.
How many games got discplaced by the cat? <g>

-HR

>> Now I assume everyone here also used tweezers? <G>
>
> Nope. Angled forceps.
>
> Best regards, Major H.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:33:33 AM

HR schreef:

> Next question.
> How many games got discplaced by the cat? <g>

None, haven't got a cat :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:17:54 PM

"HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
> As Major H said but also when pulling the counters out of the counter
> sheet you got those little cardboard snots on the corners. So you really
> needed to clean that up anyway so we went the extra step of clipping.

I only clipped when absolutely necessary ie the counters barely fitted in
the hexes.

> Now I assume everyone here also used tweezers? <G>

Only for games with a high counter density and slippery game boards e.g.
IIIR

Martin
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:06:33 PM

Or your opponent while playing a PBEM:)

> HR schreef:
>
>> Next question.
>> How many games got discplaced by the cat? <g>
>
> None, haven't got a cat :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 9:26:22 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:36:48 -0400, "HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote:

>How many games got discplaced by the cat?

I had a cat destroy a campaign scenario of _East Wind Rain_. I also
had a ferret's collateral damage destroy the 2nd Infantry Division in
_Korea 1995_ . He really just wanted to chew on the ziplock bag, but
the counters happened to be in it at the time.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:14:06 PM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, eddysterckx@hotmail.com mentioned

>HR schreef:
>
>> Next question.
>> How many games got discplaced by the cat? <g>
>
>None, haven't got a cat :)

Aaaw - you poor bloke!

Should we take up a collection?

Hey Everybody - how about sending our new and used cats to Eddy?
He must be lonely by now.

>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:50:57 AM

Miowarra Tomokatu <not@thistime.net> wrote in

> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> world domination, eddysterckx@hotmail.com mentioned
>

>>HR schreef:
>>
>>> Next question.
>>> How many games got discplaced by the cat? <g>
>>
>>None, haven't got a cat :)
>>
> Aaaw - you poor bloke!
>
> Should we take up a collection?
>
> Hey Everybody - how about sending our new and used cats to Eddy?
> He must be lonely by now.

Cats are girly pets - I've got two dogs :)

Incidently - right now there's a "pictures of the gang" thread over in the
Matrix Games general forum

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=867519&mpage=...

And yes, I know the dog is the cute one :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:50:58 AM

That's a man's dog??

I thought it was an overgrowwn cat:)

-HR

> Miowarra Tomokatu <not@thistime.net> wrote in
>
>> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
>> world domination, eddysterckx@hotmail.com mentioned

>>>None, haven't got a cat :)
>>>
>> Aaaw - you poor bloke!
>>
>> Should we take up a collection?
>>
>> Hey Everybody - how about sending our new and used cats to Eddy?
>> He must be lonely by now.
>
> Cats are girly pets - I've got two dogs :)
>
> Incidently - right now there's a "pictures of the gang" thread over in the
> Matrix Games general forum
>
> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=867519&mpage=...
>
> And yes, I know the dog is the cute one :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx
>

> --
> "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
> (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:24:57 PM

On 22 May 2005 08:12:04 GMT, Eddy Sterckx <eddysterckx@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>It's back-issues - I know some wargamers who would pay *a lot* for a cd
>with pdf back-issues of magazines like The General, S&T, The Wargamer,
>The Courier etc. Even if they own the paper version.

>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

I just received an update in the mail, along with a free copy of the
most recent Paper Wars. According to the letter from Omega Games, they
should be shipping the CD Rom in about three weeks, and we should see
delivery in a month. Mac and Windows.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:19:05 PM

> I just received an update in the mail, along with a free copy of the
> most recent Paper Wars. According to the letter from Omega Games, they
> should be shipping the CD Rom in about three weeks, and we should see
> delivery in a month. Mac and Windows.

Looks like they'll beat the delivered-one-year-after-payment deadline :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
!