Which audio CD writer/reader drive?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 25, 2005 11:27:29 PM

It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
including Yamaha.

The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
(CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?

Thanks,
Romain
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:27:30 PM

"Romain Kang From:" <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:D 21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
> including Yamaha.
>
> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?
>
> Thanks,
> Romain

Doesn't much matter anymore. People are avoiding players that are picky
about cd-r media, and they're becoming hard to find. I've been burning with
a Lite-On combo drive for two years using cheap generic media and nobody's
complaining. If a certain media won't play in an old cd player the user can
simply re-burn it to better media. If you're spending extra for better
media you should write the difference off as promotional expense.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:49:59 PM

In article <d21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU>,
Romain Kang From: <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
>It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
>I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
>Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
>including Yamaha.
>
>The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
>(CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
>burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
>players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
>So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
>What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?

Look at the Plextor Premium CDRW drive.
March 26, 2005 12:05:15 AM

"Romain Kang From:" <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:D 21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
> including Yamaha.
>
> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?

100% in favor of the HP 640i.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:10:14 AM

"Romain Kang From:" <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:D 21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
> including Yamaha.
>
> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?
>
> Thanks,
> Romain

The Plextor Plexwriter Premium is a great CD-only drive.

jb
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:49:39 AM

"Romain Kang From:" <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:D 21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU
> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
> including Yamaha.
>
> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?

Liteon and Asus make nice drives for reasonble prices.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:47:55 AM

Romain Kang From: wrote:
> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
> including Yamaha.
>
> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?

If I could afford to, I'd go all Plextor... best reason being this one I
read years ago: Plextor makes *only* optical-disc drives; they HAVE to
always turn out the best product they can. One bad batch could end the
whole company. That level of quality control isn't such a concern to
outfits like Sony, Yamaha, LG, etc., to whom optical drives probably
account for only a fraction of a percent of their business.

That said, I've had a Plextor 4X SCSI CD-R drive that's been working
flawlessly for a good, oh, 7 or 8 years now...

Of course, your average ATAPI CD-RW drives can now be had for around
$50, and most carry a one-year warranty... then again, with DVD drives
now sporting DVD+/-RW/RAM/DualLayer support for well under $100, I
haven't found a reason to recommend anyone settle for a CD-RW or even
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive anymore.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:47:56 AM

Matt Ion wrote:

> If I could afford to, I'd go all Plextor... best reason being this one I
> read years ago: Plextor makes *only* optical-disc drives; they HAVE to
> always turn out the best product they can. One bad batch could end the
> whole company. That level of quality control isn't such a concern to
> outfits like Sony, Yamaha, LG, etc., to whom optical drives probably
> account for only a fraction of a percent of their business.

Plextor does not manufacture optical drives. The drives they sell are
OEM'd by various manufacturers and then loaded with (mostly) Plextor
firmware and bundled with (mostly) Plextor utilities.

They're still great drives...
March 28, 2005 9:16:51 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:48:12 -0500, "Zigakly" <zigakly@nospam.cx> wrote:

>"Romain Kang From:" <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote in message
>news:D 21s7h$31p$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
>> It's been a few years since I last built a computer to burn CDs;
>> I used SCSI drives, Plextor for reading and Yamaha for writing.
>> Now, I find that several manufacturers have exited that market,
>> including Yamaha.
>>
>> The currently manufactured burners seem to be all-in-one devices
>> (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, etc.). Empirically, CD-Rs I've
>> burned on a Sony DVD+RW drive seem to be less compatible with audio
>> players than the same manufacturer's media burned on the old Yamaha.
>> So I'm inclined to be cautious selecting drives for a new machine.
>> What manufacturers and models do audio people prefer these days?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Romain
>
>Doesn't much matter anymore. People are avoiding players that are picky
>about cd-r media, and they're becoming hard to find. I've been burning with
>a Lite-On combo drive for two years using cheap generic media and nobody's
>complaining. If a certain media won't play in an old cd player the user can
>simply re-burn it to better media. If you're spending extra for better
>media you should write the difference off as promotional expense.

Media longevity is/can-be at issue, though. I have, in fact, discovered
that various (data) disks which read just fine a year ago... are now
reading with difficulty (as in - I can hear the drive--a Plextor 820--having
to re-read certain areas as it's retrieving a file). These are Philips branded,
and... what was that web-based company... made a quality product at
one time but really went downhill after that... ... ... aaack. At any rate, the
Kodaks and Taiyo Yudens which were burned six years ago still read
perfectly.

So, it's not just a matter of whether it burns successfully, or reads in other
drives / players... _today_, it's whether it burns successfully and reads
in other drives / players _tomorrow_.

Jeff

http://www.jefftturner.com
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:13:42 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:16:51 -0500, pH <high@cidity.level> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:48:12 -0500, "Zigakly" <zigakly@nospam.cx> wrote:
>
> Media longevity is/can-be at issue, though. I have, in fact, discovered
> that various (data) disks which read just fine a year ago... are now
> reading with difficulty (as in - I can hear the drive--a Plextor
> 820--having
> to re-read certain areas as it's retrieving a file). These are Philips
> branded,
> and... what was that web-based company... made a quality product at
> one time but really went downhill after that... ... ... aaack. At any
> rate, the
> Kodaks and Taiyo Yudens which were burned six years ago still read
> perfectly.

The 820 could also be starting to fade if it is well used - mine doesn't
seem to be quite as reliable as it used to be.

I'd agree that sticking to good media (currently Taiyo Yuden are the
safest bet) is the key to the problem.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:21:01 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:19:49 -0800, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>> If I could afford to, I'd go all Plextor... best reason being this one
>> I read years ago: Plextor makes *only* optical-disc drives; they HAVE
>> to always turn out the best product they can. One bad batch could end
>> the whole company. That level of quality control isn't such a concern
>> to outfits like Sony, Yamaha, LG, etc., to whom optical drives probably
>> account for only a fraction of a percent of their business.
>
> Plextor does not manufacture optical drives. The drives they sell are
> OEM'd by various manufacturers and then loaded with (mostly) Plextor
> firmware and bundled with (mostly) Plextor utilities.
>
> They're still great drives...

Having taken a couple of their drives apart I've not noticed anything that
was obviously made by anyone else. If they were OEM drives then surely
other manufacturers would incorporate many of Plextor's features. The only
Plextor branded drives that are probably rebadged are the small laptop
style drives.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing Plextor with companies like Lacie
or HP?

Anyway, I'd also echo the recommendation for the Premium but I'd also
suggest looking at the PX712 or 716 DVD drives which incorporate all of
the Premium's testing features.

Cheers.

James.
March 30, 2005 10:13:34 AM

Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as their
own.

James Perrett <James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:o psoektbb48tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk...
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:19:49 -0800, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
> > Matt Ion wrote:
> >> If I could afford to, I'd go all Plextor... best reason being this one
> >> I read years ago: Plextor makes *only* optical-disc drives; they HAVE
> >> to always turn out the best product they can. One bad batch could end
> >> the whole company. That level of quality control isn't such a concern
> >> to outfits like Sony, Yamaha, LG, etc., to whom optical drives probably
> >> account for only a fraction of a percent of their business.
> >
> > Plextor does not manufacture optical drives. The drives they sell are
> > OEM'd by various manufacturers and then loaded with (mostly) Plextor
> > firmware and bundled with (mostly) Plextor utilities.
> >
> > They're still great drives...
> >

> Having taken a couple of their drives apart I've not noticed anything that
> was obviously made by anyone else. If they were OEM drives then surely
> other manufacturers would incorporate many of Plextor's features. The only
> Plextor branded drives that are probably rebadged are the small laptop
> style drives.
>
> Are you sure that you aren't confusing Plextor with companies like Lacie
> or HP?
>
> Anyway, I'd also echo the recommendation for the Premium but I'd also
> suggest looking at the PX712 or 716 DVD drives which incorporate all of
> the Premium's testing features.
>
> Cheers.
>
> James.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:48:57 PM

Troy wrote:

> James Perrett <James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:o psoektbb48tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk...

>>> Plextor does not manufacture optical drives. The drives they sell are
>>> OEM'd by various manufacturers and then loaded with (mostly) Plextor
>>> firmware and bundled with (mostly) Plextor utilities.
>>>
>>> They're still great drives...
>>

>> Having taken a couple of their drives apart I've not noticed anything that
>> was obviously made by anyone else. If they were OEM drives then surely
>> other manufacturers would incorporate many of Plextor's features. The only
>> Plextor branded drives that are probably rebadged are the small laptop
>> style drives.
>

>> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as their
>> own.

Citation, please?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:00:13 PM

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as their
> own.

Plextor are made by NEC, as are 90 percent of the other brands.

jb
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:00:14 PM

reddred wrote:
> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as
>> their own.
>

> Plextor are made by NEC

And have been made by others in the past (Panasonic comes to mind.)

Let me reiterate that Plextor does not simply rebadge drives the way
many other vendors do. They purchase mechanisms and load them with
Plextor firmware, which is usually superior to the OEM firmware. They
also update their firmware regularly (unlike many OEMs and other vendors.)
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:23:22 PM

reddred wrote:
> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as
their
> > own.
> >

> Plextor are made by NEC, as are 90 percent of the other brands.
>
> jb

Plextor is it. 'nuff said.
March 31, 2005 9:05:40 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:13:42 +0100, "James Perrett"
<James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:16:51 -0500, pH <high@cidity.level> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:48:12 -0500, "Zigakly" <zigakly@nospam.cx> wrote:
>>
>> Media longevity is/can-be at issue, though. I have, in fact, discovered
>> that various (data) disks which read just fine a year ago... are now
>> reading with difficulty (as in - I can hear the drive--a Plextor
>> 820--having
>> to re-read certain areas as it's retrieving a file). These are Philips
>> branded,
>> and... what was that web-based company... made a quality product at
>> one time but really went downhill after that... ... ... aaack. At any
>> rate, the
>> Kodaks and Taiyo Yudens which were burned six years ago still read
>> perfectly.
>>

>The 820 could also be starting to fade if it is well used - mine doesn't
>seem to be quite as reliable as it used to be.

Yeah, I've certainly considered that. That, and it could be *way* outa
wack with newer media, although... well I'll have to wait until a year
from the last batch of TYs I had has lapsed... to see how they've fared.
(I'm gonna bet they'll read as reliably then as they do today, but... that
still doesn't mean my poor ol' Plexy isn't wearin' / worn out)

Jeff

http://www.jefftturner.com
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:56:15 PM

"reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as their
>> own.
>>

> Plextor are made by NEC, as are 90 percent of the other brands.

That turns out not to be the case. Plextor is the brand of SKC, an long-time
Japanese ODD manufacturer. They do not usually OEM for other companies. NEC
doesn't even make CD writers anymore, and hasn't since 2003. They are second
world-wide for DVD writer production, however, behind HLDS.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:57:51 PM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> reddred wrote:
>> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as
>>> their own.
>>

>> Plextor are made by NEC
>
> And have been made by others in the past (Panasonic comes to mind.)
>

> Let me reiterate that Plextor does not simply rebadge drives the way many
> other vendors do.

No, because the manufacture their own.

> They purchase mechanisms and load them with Plextor firmware, which is
> usually superior to the OEM firmware. They also update their firmware
> regularly (unlike many OEMs and other vendors.)

Most name brand firmware is superior to the manufacturer's firmware. And the
hw/fw/sw solutions are tested across more platforms and to higher
compatibility, too.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:58:36 PM

"headphonz" <headphonz@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> reddred wrote:
>> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as
> their
>> > own.
>> >

>> Plextor are made by NEC, as are 90 percent of the other brands.
>>
>> jb
>
> Plextor is it. 'nuff said.

Consider the new LightScribe drive: www.lightscribe.com. It's available from
multiple manufacturers.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:59:54 PM

"pH" <high@cidity.level> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:13:42 +0100, "James Perrett"
> <James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:16:51 -0500, pH <high@cidity.level> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:48:12 -0500, "Zigakly" <zigakly@nospam.cx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Media longevity is/can-be at issue, though. I have, in fact, discovered
>>> that various (data) disks which read just fine a year ago... are now
>>> reading with difficulty (as in - I can hear the drive--a Plextor
>>> 820--having
>>> to re-read certain areas as it's retrieving a file). These are Philips
>>> branded,
>>> and... what was that web-based company... made a quality product at
>>> one time but really went downhill after that... ... ... aaack. At any
>>> rate, the
>>> Kodaks and Taiyo Yudens which were burned six years ago still read
>>> perfectly.
>>>

>>The 820 could also be starting to fade if it is well used - mine doesn't
>>seem to be quite as reliable as it used to be.
>
> Yeah, I've certainly considered that. That, and it could be *way* outa
> wack with newer media, although... well I'll have to wait until a year
> from the last batch of TYs I had has lapsed... to see how they've fared.
> (I'm gonna bet they'll read as reliably then as they do today, but...
> that
> still doesn't mean my poor ol' Plexy isn't wearin' / worn out)

The industry is working to produce media with a much longer life, up to 40
years for CD-R. We should see it within the year.

Glenn D.
March 31, 2005 9:59:55 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:59:54 GMT, "Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com>
wrote:

>"pH" <high@cidity.level> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:13:42 +0100, "James Perrett"
>> <James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>>>The 820 could also be starting to fade if it is well used - mine doesn't
>>>seem to be quite as reliable as it used to be.
>>
>> Yeah, I've certainly considered that. That, and it could be *way* outa
>> wack with newer media, although... well I'll have to wait until a year
>> from the last batch of TYs I had has lapsed... to see how they've fared.
>> (I'm gonna bet they'll read as reliably then as they do today, but...
>> that
>> still doesn't mean my poor ol' Plexy isn't wearin' / worn out)
>>
>The industry is working to produce media with a much longer life, up to 40
>years for CD-R. We should see it within the year.
>
>Glenn D.

That would certainly go some ways toward alleviating such worries. It's a
shame that Kodak was already ahead, years ago, with their Digital Science
line. Well, according to them, anyway, as their testing indicated a 100 year
lifespan. (the "shame" part being that they couldn't compete with the bottom
drawer stuff which was popping up--and being bought--everwhere)

Jeff

http://www.jefftturner.com
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:22:49 AM

"Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message

> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> > reddred wrote:
> >> "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> >> Plextor are made by NEC
> >
> > And have been made by others in the past (Panasonic comes to mind.)
> >

> > Let me reiterate that Plextor does not simply rebadge drives the way
many
> > other vendors do.
>
> No, because the manufacture their own.

Proceed to nearest Plextor device and open. Look inside.

> > They purchase mechanisms and load them with Plextor firmware, which is
> > usually superior to the OEM firmware. They also update their firmware
> > regularly (unlike many OEMs and other vendors.)
> >
> Most name brand firmware is superior to the manufacturer's firmware. And
the
> hw/fw/sw solutions are tested across more platforms and to higher
> compatibility, too.

Yes.

jb
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:25:00 AM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> reddred wrote:
> > "Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >
> >> Plextor does make their own drives.Other companies rebadge them as
> >> their own.
> >

> > Plextor are made by NEC
>
> And have been made by others in the past (Panasonic comes to mind.)
>

> Let me reiterate that Plextor does not simply rebadge drives the way
> many other vendors do. They purchase mechanisms and load them with
> Plextor firmware, which is usually superior to the OEM firmware. They
> also update their firmware regularly (unlike many OEMs and other vendors.)

The Premium is a hell of a drive for that reason.

jb
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:22:55 PM

> "Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

>> > And have been made by others in the past (Panasonic comes to mind.)
>> >

>> > Let me reiterate that Plextor does not simply rebadge drives the way
> many
>> > other vendors do.
>>
>> No, because the manufacture their own.
>>

> Proceed to nearest Plextor device and open. Look inside.

Does it say SKC?

Glenn D.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:59:35 PM

> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

> > many
> >>
> >> No, because the manufacture their own.
> >>

> > Proceed to nearest Plextor device and open. Look inside.
> >
> Does it say SKC?
>
> Glenn D.

It doesn't say 'Plextor'. Bye.

jb
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:55:07 PM

> It doesn't say 'Plextor'. Bye.

SKC is the manufacturer; Plextor is the brand. According to the latest TRS
report, Plextor _manufactured_, not _branded_, x hundred thousand drives. If
they manufacture their own, why would they purchase from NEC, a notoriously
high priced vendor?

FYI, I've been the commodity manager for optical drives for aftermarket
products for a large computer company for the last two year; a colleague who
has been in the biz since the first CD writers also concurs that Plextor a)
makes their own and b) doesn't OEM to others. If you've got difference data,
share it.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:04:02 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 12:55:07 -0700, Glenn Dowdy
<glenn.dowdy@commiecast.net> wrote:

> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> It doesn't say 'Plextor'. Bye.
>>
> SKC is the manufacturer; Plextor is the brand. According to the latest
> TRS
> report, Plextor _manufactured_, not _branded_, x hundred thousand
> drives. If
> they manufacture their own, why would they purchase from NEC, a
> notoriously
> high priced vendor?
>
> FYI, I've been the commodity manager for optical drives for aftermarket
> products for a large computer company for the last two year; a colleague
> who
> has been in the biz since the first CD writers also concurs that Plextor
> a)
> makes their own and b) doesn't OEM to others. If you've got difference
> data,
> share it.

I wonder if the previous posters just happen to have seen one of the few
rebranded drives that Plextor sold. The first CD writer they sold was
actually a rebranded Yamaha 4260 while some of their laptop drives were
probably made elsewhere. Plextor probably don't make their own chipsets,
indeed BURNProof is a Sanyo trademark so it is likely that they use Sanyo
chips in their drives. This doesn't mean that Sanyo make the drives though.

Like Glenn, I'd like to know which models Reddred is talking about and who
really makes them as I've never seen anything to suggest that Plextor
drives are not made by Shinano Kenshi/Plextor.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:07:12 PM

wrote:

> The industry is working to produce media with a much longer life, up to
> 40
> years for CD-R. We should see it within the year.
>
> Glenn D.

Mitsui claim a lifetime of 200 years for their gold discs or 100 years for
silver while I always thought that T-Y specified 80 years for their discs.
40 years would appear to be a step backwards.

Or are you talking about DVD media? I've seen lifetimes as short as 25
years specified for DVD media.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:07:13 PM

In article <opsopleamb8tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk> James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk writes:

> Mitsui claim a lifetime of 200 years for their gold discs or 100 years for
> silver while I always thought that T-Y specified 80 years for their discs.
> 40 years would appear to be a step backwards.

Claims have yet to be substantiated by real life. Besides, who but
serious archivists use 200 year gold disks or 100 year silver disks?
Most of us use dime disks by the stack (OK, so the last batch of Taiyo
Yuden silver disks I bought cost about 30 cents each). But 200 year
media life means little if there's nothing to play them on.

April 4, 2005 6:41:00 PM

"James Perrett" <James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:o psopleamb8tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk...
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:59:54 GMT, Glenn Dowdy <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com>
> wrote:
>

>> The industry is working to produce media with a much longer life, up to
>> 40
>> years for CD-R. We should see it within the year.
>>
>> Glenn D.
>>

> Mitsui claim a lifetime of 200 years for their gold discs or 100 years for
> silver while I always thought that T-Y specified 80 years for their discs.
> 40 years would appear to be a step backwards.
>
> Or are you talking about DVD media? I've seen lifetimes as short as 25
> years specified for DVD media.

DVD, as a minimum, looking to cost transparency, or nearly so.

Glenn
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:47:21 PM

> In article <opsopleamb8tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk>
> James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk writes:
>
>> Mitsui claim a lifetime of 200 years for their gold discs or 100 years
>> for
>> silver while I always thought that T-Y specified 80 years for their
>> discs.
>> 40 years would appear to be a step backwards.
>
> Claims have yet to be substantiated by real life. Besides, who but
> serious archivists use 200 year gold disks or 100 year silver disks?
> Most of us use dime disks by the stack (OK, so the last batch of Taiyo
> Yuden silver disks I bought cost about 30 cents each). But 200 year
> media life means little if there's nothing to play them on.

Yeah, there's that whole diode life thing. And interconnects. And updated
firmware. And industry consolidation.

Glenn D.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:46:54 PM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:47:21 GMT, Glenn Dowdy <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com>
wrote:

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <opsopleamb8tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk>
>> James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk writes:
>>
>>> Mitsui claim a lifetime of 200 years for their gold discs or 100 years
>>> for
>>> silver while I always thought that T-Y specified 80 years for their
>>> discs.
>>> 40 years would appear to be a step backwards.
>>
>> Claims have yet to be substantiated by real life. Besides, who but
>> serious archivists use 200 year gold disks or 100 year silver disks?
>> Most of us use dime disks by the stack (OK, so the last batch of Taiyo
>> Yuden silver disks I bought cost about 30 cents each). But 200 year
>> media life means little if there's nothing to play them on.
>>
> Yeah, there's that whole diode life thing. And interconnects. And updated
> firmware. And industry consolidation.

I would hope that many members of this newsgroup who are creating master
recordings would want to use higher quality discs. I was using the Mitsui
discs up until about a year ago when I switched to T-Y discs because the
error rates were much lower. There still seems to be a reasonable
awareness of CD quality issues - I recently read an article in the popular
press talking about people searching for Fuji discs made in Japan.

I would also be a little more optimistic about future playability. It
looks like the next generation of players, either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will
be backwards compatible with CD and DVD so the hardware to play these
discs will be around for a while yet. If the first CD's had the same
lifespan as that mentioned for current recordable DVD's then a fair
proportion of them would be unplayable by now.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:46:55 PM

In article <opsore4gjd8tjbad@news.nerc.ac.uk> James.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk writes:

> I would hope that many members of this newsgroup who are creating master
> recordings would want to use higher quality discs.

I would hope so, too, and probably most who actually are creating
"master recordings" are using better quality disks - at least they
were until they discovered that they had so much to save that they
could switch to DVD and have fewer disks to deal with. Has there been
enough time (and experience) with DVD recorders and blanks to zero in
on "reliable" sources such as Taiyo Yuden? I don't think so. But then
most of us haven't really had any bad experiences with CD-Rs in quite
a while, and probably aren't having bad experiences with DVD-Rs
either.

> I would also be a little more optimistic about future playability. It
> looks like the next generation of players, either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will
> be backwards compatible with CD and DVD so the hardware to play these
> discs will be around for a while yet.

How many turntables do you know of that play 78 RPM disks? How many
people still have working DAT recorders, or even 15 IPS 1/4" tape
decks? There are some, sure, but you have to go looking for them.

April 6, 2005 7:36:13 PM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> How many people still have working DAT recorders

Whaddaya mean "still?" Mine never worked for more than ten hours at a
time even when it was "current!" FOUR TIMES the thing went in for
replacement of transport parts, each time after only 10-30 hours of use.

Hey, anyone wanna buy a Tascam DAT machine with only about 50 hours on
it?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 10:03:02 PM

> How many turntables do you know of that play 78 RPM disks? How many
> people still have working DAT recorders, or even 15 IPS 1/4" tape
> decks? There are some, sure, but you have to go looking for them.

Well, I've never owned a DAT deck, but the A3340S is working fine in the
next-door neighbour's house at the moment.

And my faithful Lenco turntable will cheerfully play anything from about
12-13 RPM up to around 90 or so. Just gotta find the strobe disks for it,
is all.
The notches for 16 2/3, 33 1/3, 45, and 78 were pretty accurate, as I
recall.
Yes, I do have a separate cartridge for the non-microgroove records. And
yes,
it works fine, or at least it did last time I used it (day before
yesterday).

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:42:42 AM

In article <hq6dndmVEYSsxsnfRVn-vw@magma.ca> "Dave O'Heare" <oheareATmagmaDOTca> writes:

> Well, I've never owned a DAT deck, but the A3340S is working fine in the
> next-door neighbour's house at the moment.
>
> And my faithful Lenco turntable will cheerfully play anything from about
> 12-13 RPM up to around 90 or so.

Know anyone else? Better preserve them if you want to play your
records and tapes much longer.

April 7, 2005 6:48:08 PM

On 5 Apr 2005 12:11:52 -0400, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Has there been
> enough time (and experience) with DVD recorders and blanks to zero in
> on "reliable" sources such as Taiyo Yuden? I don't think so. But then
> most of us haven't really had any bad experiences with CD-Rs in quite
> a while, and probably aren't having bad experiences with DVD-Rs
> either.

I don't know - As well as my mastering activities I tend to buy the CD-R's
for a group of people here at Southampton University and I'm having real
problems finding CD-R's that will work well in a variety of recorders
(unfortunately we're limited to 2 suppliers, neither of whom sell T-Y or
Mitsui discs). The last batch of German made Fuji's that I bought give
high error rates in good CD burners and are unusable in some cheaper
burners.

> How many turntables do you know of that play 78 RPM disks? How many
> people still have working DAT recorders, or even 15 IPS 1/4" tape
> decks? There are some, sure, but you have to go looking for them.

I know that I'm not typical but we have 3 regularly used turntables in the
house and only one of them won't play 78's. I also have two or three more
in the 'archive' and a wind up gramophone that still gets used
occasionally (and, believe it or not, you can still buy gramophone needles
for it). DAT tapes will almost certainly be more problematic but they were
never widely used for consumer audio anyway.

Some might argue that CD's are in a similar situation to 78's in the late
50's when they were still just about holding out against 45's and LP's but
there are still plenty of CD only players being sold so I don't think that
DVD's (or their successors) will take over the music market for a while.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:28:19 AM

"Lorin David Schultz" <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote in message
> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>>
>> How many people still have working DAT recorders
>

> Whaddaya mean "still?" Mine never worked for more than ten hours at a
> time even when it was "current!" FOUR TIMES the thing went in for
> replacement of transport parts, each time after only 10-30 hours of use.
>
> Hey, anyone wanna buy a Tascam DAT machine with only about 50 hours on

That's unfortunate. My "B stock" Sony PCM R500 I go for under $1,000 has
worked like a charm for years and continues to do so flawlessly. I have one
client who wants all their concerts recorded to DAT so the unit STILL
generates income for me having paid for itself long ago. It was only less
than 2 years ago they stopped making them. Its still great for CD quality
removeable media, although I'd never buy one today of course.

Julian
!