If you've never used Nextel, try it out

I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them). But
for the last year their service has gone to pits. Dropped calls have
increased 500% or more. Places that never used to drop calls are now
dropping calls like you wouldn't believe, in my home area and traveling
areas that I travel often.

I'm not bashing Sprint... I've had them a LONG time. But I feel lucky if I
don't more than 10 calls in a day. (and it does it with multiple phones).

I got a Nextel to try them out and was amazed. I know Nextel doesn't have
as big of a footprint as Sprint espeically is outlying areas, but service is
WAY better than I ever imagined. Even rural areas that I expected to be
dead have service. One area I go that's really 'country', I have to roam
analog on Sprint, Nextel had full bars. I've never dropped a call in the 2
weeks of trying them out. Their internet rates are competitive and I used
to hate it when I heard people using direct connect but now don't know if I
want to give it up. Even for personal use, keeping in touch with friends
and family with a push of a button makes me feel like I've been behind the
times all these years. Oh, and yes I tried Readylink.... $600 for 2 RL
phones... the service is a joke.

Anyway, I'll still keep Sprint probably for my Treo 600 but I definately
don't sing their praises like I used to.
20 answers Last reply
More about nextel

    In article <QbK1e.18507$xK.7327@fe03.lga>, "Newsguy" <none@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > I got a Nextel to try them out and was amazed.

    my best friend uses Nextel and I HATE it.

    I've heard (not sure if this is true) that Nextel prioritizes calls, so
    calls from other Nextel customers go first, but calls from other
    carriers might go straight to voicemail if the network is overloaded (as
    it always seems to be). So when I call my friend, a lot (majority, I'd
    say) of the time, the phone doesn't even ring. Then I get the automated
    message that says "please wait while the Nextel customer is located"
    (then again in spanish), and then it goes to her voicemail.

    I gave up trying to call her during the day because I can never get thru.

    /tommy

    Nextel has more square mile coverage than Sprint does right now. iPCS
    has talked about comeing to my hometown Chariton, IA once, so no Sprint
    yet. Nextel has been off and on since 99 on building a tower in the
    area. Nextel has land to build a tower when they wish to. I would
    like to see someone to build so there will be 3 providers and breakup
    some of US Cellular's monopoly power in Southern Iowa.

    --
    agentHibby

    agentHibby wrote:
    > Nextel has more square mile coverage than Sprint does right now.

    Are you trying to convey that Nextel has better coverage across the
    nation than SPCS? Is so, you're a bit confused. If you only meant in
    BFE... err "BFI," I have no idea (but it sounds like no one has cared
    since the '90s).

    --
    Mike

    Nextel is in more markets and has a larger network Sprint.
    Now in the markets were both Sprint and Nextel operate (like 90% of
    them), Sprint probably does have a better network. In some areas Nextel
    has a better network.

    Just becuase you have the largest network or towers in an area does not
    mean you have the best network. It could be the worst.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    agentHibby

    I've had the same experience with Sprint as you, Newsguy. I had them for 5
    years and they were great but over the last 6 months my dropped calls have
    gotten so bad that I can't stay connected for longer than 5 or 10 minutes at
    a time, nights and weekends are ridiculous. The numerous trouble tickets
    that I have made have gone unanswered. I can drive 1.5 miles from my house
    and stay connected for as long as I want. I think I will be looking at
    Cingular because of their rate plans.

    Newsguy wrote:
    > I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them). But
    > for the last year their service has gone to pits.

    Where?

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    BR549 wrote:
    > I've had the same experience with Sprint as you, Newsguy. I had them for 5
    > years and they were great but over the last 6 months my dropped calls have
    > gotten so bad that I can't stay connected for longer than 5 or 10 minutes at
    > a time, nights and weekends are ridiculous. The numerous trouble tickets
    > that I have made have gone unanswered. I can drive 1.5 miles from my house
    > and stay connected for as long as I want. I think I will be looking at
    > Cingular because of their rate plans.

    Where?

    It would be very useful for the rest of us to know where people having problems
    are located.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Tampa, Fl 33615

    BR549 wrote:
    > I've had the same experience with Sprint as you, Newsguy. I had them for
    > 5
    > years and they were great but over the last 6 months my dropped calls have
    > gotten so bad that I can't stay connected for longer than 5 or 10 minutes
    > at
    > a time, nights and weekends are ridiculous. The numerous trouble tickets
    > that I have made have gone unanswered. I can drive 1.5 miles from my
    > house
    > and stay connected for as long as I want. I think I will be looking at
    > Cingular because of their rate plans.

    Where?

    It would be very useful for the rest of us to know where people having
    problems
    are located.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Newsguy wrote:
    >> I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them). But
    >> for the last year their service has gone to pits.
    >
    > Where?

    Not to butt in, but in more and more spots on I-75 between Cincinnati, Ohio
    and Detroit, Michigan. The Sprint service I once praised is now the worst I
    have ever experienced. Dropping calls now in areas that I didn't drop five
    and six years ago. My one year retention agreement is up March 31 and it
    will be time to look else where. I currently have 1000 a/t with unlimited
    n/w that start at 8pm for $50. If I cannot sell my 7400 I'll use it for
    target practice with my glock 23.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Did you get a new phone recently? I make that run (from Detroit all the way
    down to Miami Lakes, FL) regularly and have had no problems with my Nokia
    3588i.

    Chris

    "thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> Newsguy wrote:
    >>> I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them).
    >>> But for the last year their service has gone to pits.
    >>
    >> Where?
    >
    > Not to butt in, but in more and more spots on I-75 between Cincinnati,
    > Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. The Sprint service I once praised is now the
    > worst I have ever experienced. Dropping calls now in areas that I didn't
    > drop five and six years ago. My one year retention agreement is up March
    > 31 and it will be time to look else where. I currently have 1000 a/t with
    > unlimited n/w that start at 8pm for $50. If I cannot sell my 7400 I'll use
    > it for target practice with my glock 23.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I live in SW Fla (2 hrs south of Tampa, on the Gulf) and just
    transferred over to SprintPCS after 6 years w/Nextel. My secretary told
    me she had used Sprint about 5 years ago and found it lousy, in terms of
    dropped calls. During my Nextel days, I used to drop about 8 out of 10
    calls. I often found them dropped merely by switching the phone from one
    ear to the other, while sitting in my living room. I could not get up
    and walk around the house with the phone in use because I'd run the risk
    of dropping the call. Forget my pool deck, where it's all aluminum and
    mosquito netting -- could not make Nextel work there. Away from home,
    most calls worked OK except for a frequent loss of conversation on the
    other side (they stopped hearing me but I could hear them) regardless of
    whether they were using a landline or cell. Last, voice clarity was
    inconsistent, often clipped and at times cracking. During my time with
    Nextel I used their 1000plus, 730i, and 88-SR phones.

    I switched to Sprint merely 5 days ago and use their LG PM-325 (my son
    has a Sanyo MM-7400, my wife and daughter the LG 325). So far the
    difference in all areas mentioned above are significant and an
    improvement. The voice clarity couldn't be better, regardless of whether
    I'm on a call with my son and his Sanyo or some landline. Crystal
    clear, no clipping or cracking. As far as drops, none so far. I can
    safely switch the phone from one ear to the other, walk all around the
    house, upstairs or downstairs, no problems talking within the pool deck
    or garage. In sum, all calls so far made from within the house have
    worked 100%. Then, calls I make through my car's bluetooth system are
    also clear with no cracks or clips.

    To make this shorter, I've experienced none of the problems my secretary
    complained of when she had Sprint or that I have read in this nsg.
    Again, as mentioned in another thread, I'm not a novice user when it
    comes to cells. I started in 1989 with GTE Mobilnet and have been thru
    most all of them since, except Cingular and T-Mobile (which came out
    while I was using Nextel). I am aware the industry has significant
    problems across the spectrum of services, much of it depending on phone
    type, location, cell carrier, etc. So, I do expect problems with my
    Sprint service in the future....it's just that no problems have occurred
    so far and the difference in overall quality vs. Nextel has been
    remarkable. Lastly, I have no desire to bash Nextel either. It just
    didn't work for me.

    --
    PRNole
    --------------------------------------

    "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
    > Did you get a new phone recently? I make that run (from Detroit all the
    > way down to Miami Lakes, FL) regularly and have had no problems with my
    > Nokia 3588i.

    Yes I did, I had a new Sanyo 7300 that I used for six months, then I
    switched to a new Sanyo 7400 and still dropping calls.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
    > Did you get a new phone recently? I make that run (from Detroit all the
    > way down to Miami Lakes, FL) regularly and have had no problems with my
    > Nokia 3588i.

    I can even give you specific mile markers along I-75. Which is part of my
    complaint. I am dropping calls in areas that were full digital six years
    ago. For example: six and five years ago I went to roam at mile maker 118
    which is Cridersville, Oh, just south of Lima, Oh. I would pick up a sprint
    digital signal again at mile marker 178 (around Bowling green, Ohio) I am
    now dropping calls and or actually getting the famous "No signal available"
    through out areas that were full sprint digital signal six years ago.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Nextel worked great for me over a six year period here in Florida, 60 miles
    North of West Palm Beach (34950). Also worked well during trips through
    Florida for the most part. The last year and a half however has been
    downhill. Before the hurricanes this past summer, the service was not the
    best, but after the hurricanes it was not useable for several weeks.

    Nextel direct connect over the past six months is terrible compared to how
    it was three or four years ago. To many attempts to call someone before the
    direct connection is made. Then several times in an average conversation
    the call will fail. To bad to since direct connect was a great marketing
    feature. A local law enforcement agency recently upgraded to all new Nextel
    phones. The new phones do not work any better than the old ones.

    For the past 30 days I have been testing a Sprint Treo 650. It has worked
    without fail in all areas that are now to unreliable using my Nextel phone.
    I really hate leaving Nextel, but it looks like Sprint is the best choice
    for me and the agency I work for.

    I can only hope that in the next year or so, the Sprint/Nextel merger will
    offer improved services that take the best from both cell phone providers in
    upcoming models.

    Just my thoughts!

    Steve
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    For the first 5 years I had sprint I couldn't be happier, I can't even
    remember calls dropping. But starting around 6 months ago I started getting
    occasional dropped calls from my home. It's so bad now that I can't make a
    call from home and talk for more than 10 minutes or so. After 9PM and on
    weekends it's worse. They've opened numerous trouble tickets and nothing is
    getting accomplished. Something happened to the tower location closest to
    my home but nobody at Sprint seems to care about fixing it. Like I stated
    before I'm looking at Cingular.

    --
    PRNole
    --------------------------------------

    I suspect part of the problem Nextel has had since the hurricanes in Fla
    is the high number of service and law enforcement users that descended
    on the state, most of which use Nextel, esp. 2-way calling. Many of
    those service people from out of state are *still* here, believe it or
    not, and still causing additional demands on Nextel. The part of not
    being useable for several weeks after (for me) Charley was due to the
    damaged towers as well as the high traffic demand by others using Nextel.

    Steve S wrote:
    > Nextel worked great for me over a six year period here in Florida, 60 miles
    > North of West Palm Beach (34950). Also worked well during trips through
    > Florida for the most part. The last year and a half however has been
    > downhill. Before the hurricanes this past summer, the service was not the
    > best, but after the hurricanes it was not useable for several weeks.

    --
    PRNole
    --------------------------------------
    For email reply, please remove the 195
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Chattanooga, TN

    I too have filed many complaints. You wouldn't believe the number of pages
    on my detailed billing because of dropped calls and having to call back....
    it's pathetic. And around 60% or so of the bill shows repeated numbers over
    and over right after each other which are the times I have to call back
    after dropping a call.

    And what gets me is that as I mentioned, I'm dropping calls in areas that
    NEVER used to drop a call. I've swapped phones to see if it was a phone
    problem.... even the all mighty and powerful Sanyo's drop too in the same
    areas. It's like Sprint has turned OFF some towers or something but they
    tell me that's ridiculous but yet can't answer why calls drop in places that
    didn't used to. This has also been confirmed by two other people I
    personally know that has Sprint service.

    I have not experienced the other problems that people have mentioned with
    Nextel thus far. It seems I'm lucky to be in a good Nextel area like others
    are in good SprintPCS areas. If I had to pick DC over Sprint's data
    services, I would stay with Sprint anyday... I also have an aircard on my
    account.... I hate carrying around two phones but my usage on Sprint has
    fallen from around 2000 mins/month to about 500 just because I hate using
    the phone now.
    > Newsguy wrote:
    >> I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them). But
    >> for the last year their service has gone to pits.
    >
    > Where?
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta, GA has gotten worse too as well.

    "thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> Newsguy wrote:
    >>> I've used SprintPCS for the last 8 straight years (still have them).
    >>> But for the last year their service has gone to pits.
    >>
    >> Where?
    >
    > Not to butt in, but in more and more spots on I-75 between Cincinnati,
    > Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. The Sprint service I once praised is now the
    > worst I have ever experienced. Dropping calls now in areas that I didn't
    > drop five and six years ago. My one year retention agreement is up March
    > 31 and it will be time to look else where. I currently have 1000 a/t with
    > unlimited n/w that start at 8pm for $50. If I cannot sell my 7400 I'll use
    > it for target practice with my glock 23.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Could this have anything to do with Sprint selling their towers several
    months ago to a tower management company in Florida???

    Bubba

    > I75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta, GA has gotten worse too as well.
    >

    > "thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Where?
    >>
    >> Not to butt in, but in more and more spots on I-75 between Cincinnati,
    >> Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. The Sprint service I once praised is now the
    >> worst I have ever experienced. Dropping calls now in areas that I didn't
    >> drop five and six years ago. My one year retention agreement is up March
    >> 31 and it will be time to look else where. I currently have 1000 a/t with
    >> unlimited n/w that start at 8pm for $50. If I cannot sell my 7400 I'll
    >> use it for target practice with my glock 23.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Obviously the entired stretch is not dead... he might be using the phone a
    lot more than you and thus notices the problems more.

    The areas that I'm seeing that are dropping calls that didn't use too are
    very, very small. It's not like some areas that all of us know about that
    take a min or two to come back into service, it's like it will drop a call
    and instantly you can call right back and it will go through.

    "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
    > Did you get a new phone recently? I make that run (from Detroit all the
    > way down to Miami Lakes, FL) regularly and have had no problems with my
    > Nokia 3588i.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > "thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Where?
    >>
    >> Not to butt in, but in more and more spots on I-75 between Cincinnati,
    >> Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. The Sprint service I once praised is now the
    >> worst I have ever experienced. Dropping calls now in areas that I didn't
    >> drop five and six years ago. My one year retention agreement is up March
    >> 31 and it will be time to look else where. I currently have 1000 a/t with
    >> unlimited n/w that start at 8pm for $50. If I cannot sell my 7400 I'll
    >> use it for target practice with my glock 23.

Sprint PCS Nextel Internet Service Providers