Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Driver error on Win 7 RC install

Last response: in Windows 7
June 19, 2009 11:50:24 AM

Hope this question hasn't already been addressed (I checked pretty thoroughly).

I just built a new pc to install and try the Windows 7 RC. Everything's new except an old dvd-rom. I burnt the iso to dvd and booted from it. The install starts then I get an error saying that there is a problem with the dvd drive driver and that it wants me to give it a new driver. I don't have a cd for the drive and I tried the driver cd for the motherboard. I'm sorry I'm not at my PC right now, so I can't quote the exact error message. Has anybody run into this yet? It just seems weird to me since it's using the drive as it says this and I didn't think rom drives really had drivers.
July 2, 2009 3:45:58 AM

Wow, your drive must be really old! What you can do is look for the drivers for your DVD-ROM first, burn them on a CD, then use that when Windows asks you for a new driver. What's your DVD-ROM drive anyway?
July 2, 2009 3:50:47 AM

No. Reburn the ISO. It worked for me. i had the same problem.

jimbo :D 
Related resources

Best solution

July 2, 2009 3:52:57 AM

Go with what Jimbo said, I had the same problem. Burn it at 1 or 2 x instead of 4 or 8 or 16x.
July 2, 2009 5:12:31 AM

blitzburgh39 said:
No. Reburn the ISO. It worked for me. i had the same problem.

jimbo :D 

Reburned at 1x and the install ran fine. Thanks Jimbo!
July 2, 2009 5:27:17 PM

MomoCC said:
Wow, your drive must be really old! What you can do is look for the drivers for your DVD-ROM first, burn them on a CD, then use that when Windows asks you for a new driver. What's your DVD-ROM drive anyway?

there are no dvd rom drivers
July 5, 2009 8:43:40 PM

mrgeology79 said:
Reburned at 1x and the install ran fine. Thanks Jimbo!

no problamo ;) 
March 24, 2010 11:19:30 PM

Hey, I had the same problem, burned in imgburn at 2x on a sony DVD-R and it fixed the problem for me too!
July 7, 2010 4:09:09 PM

I read through about 10 forums and tried every "fix" listed and none of them worked. (For me anyway) I finally tried downloading the ISO from a different link... And shazzam! The new ISO worked like a charm. The corrupted ISO was around 1GB, the legitimate one is a little over 3GB. Also, a lot of CD/DVD burning software (Like Roxio/Sonic) won't work with the large image file for some reason. ImgBurn is free and it worked great for this.

I'm not sure if posting links is allowed on this forum, but here are the ones that I used.

Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit)
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15...

ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

This is how my problem was resolved, I'm sure there are people out there with different problems than the one I had. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone. (It took me a couple days to figure out, and I'm a professional IT person)

-Michael
!