Sign in with
Your question

Group Policy and IE Pop-Up Blocker

Last response: in Business Computing
December 21, 2011 11:27:39 AM

I have a site that my users will be visiting daily in the upcoming few months. Its an e-learning site and in order to "launch" most of the videos they provide, it asks to turn off the pop-up blocker.

Now, with the pop-up blocker on I get a prompt on the site that says HEY, its enabled, disable it please. I hit "OK" and it takes me to the menu screen. I have tried to add the sites in group policy under Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Internet Explorer\ Pop-Up Allow list. I done a "GPUPDATE" on my machine and the sites are listed in the pop-up management screen but I'm still not able to get to the videos.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to setup GP to disable the Pop-up blocker entirely for particular sites.

Thanks! :D 
December 21, 2011 11:30:02 AM

I've also tried adding it to the Trusted Sites for this particular PC - no luck :( 
December 21, 2011 11:57:14 AM

I feel like a fool...

I had the site added in the POP-UP blocker with Wildcards (*.website.com/*) and it didn't seem to like that at all. It accepted it but once I just added the full address, it worked :) 
December 28, 2011 12:55:06 PM

Just got around to this. Yeah, when working with GPO and IE, you'll want specifics. The wildcards are sketchy.
!