Limit Folder Sharing Bandwidth?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am sharing a large collection of music videos on my college LAN and have come across the problem that everyone leeches and never uploads. Is there a built in function, or can someone point me in the direction of a site where I can write a script to deny access to users who go over a quota of bandwidth? Any help is welcome, thanks.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Uhm there is a disk quota thing, I'm pretty sure it's in the disk management utilities. It sets quotas like you want I believe.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
what version of windows, what are you using to share? a ftp or justa normal share?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
2000 I assume since he posted in this forum =)

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I'm using 2000 (duh :wink: ) and it's the built in file sharing that I'm using. But I looked at the Disk quota stuff, and all that does is limit the amount of hard drive space each users data can take up. Thats why I'm looking towards a 3rd party program or script.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, win2k it is !

I think the ansewr would be to setup and ftp, I run serv-u and you can limit bandwidth per user, disk space per user (like the 2k disk quota) but most important, you can set up a RATIO, where for example they must upload a certain amount before they download that amount, or must upload a certain number of files before downloading etc.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i could do that.. maybe ill serve that up for next year (get it?). i just want to give something back to the school network that has given me so, so much :wink: