Very Very inconsistent wifi speed?

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
When plugged straight into modem, speed is very consistent at around 14mbps.

When on wifi, the speed varies a ton. It'll go through periods of being no faster than 1-3mbps. If i restart both the modem and router then speed returns to 10-17mbps but then fluctuates back down to 1-3mbps after awhile.

I live in an apt so there 42 2.4ghz channels detected by inSSIDer. (Only a handful that are actually close by) I changed my channel to 8, one that seemed to be the most by itself, but it didn't resolve anything.

What else can I do here? Will buying a new router help things? :fou: This is really frustrating

Router:TRENDnet TEW-711BR
ISP:timewarnercable
Speed problem is the same on multiple computers.

There are only three (3) non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz freq (1, 6, and 11). And so having 42 ppl competing for these is a tall order. Only two wireless stations can be communicating at the same time, all others must WAIT their turn. And that's what kills your throughput.

I suppose you could try the 5GHz spectrum instead, but that typically cuts your range.

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
So you're saying that the reason why it's slow is because of all the other local wifi networks? (Even though only about 9 are fair connection or better)

How sure are you that this is the problem?

Is the only solution to try to get on the 5GHZ spectrum?

These are the networks around, with mine being trendnet711:
http://i.imgur.com/y8fTQxp.png

As I said, that's a lot of competing wireless signals, and verified by inSSIDer. And many are strong enough to cause problems (if inSSIDer can detect it, it can cause interference!). And the fact your wired connections are fine only further points the finger at interference.

I'd either buy a standalone 5GHz wireless AP (if you want to continue using your current router) and patch it over a LAN port, OR, buy a ***simultaneous*** (i.e., supports both at the same time) dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) router.

I'd either buy a standalone 5GHz wireless AP (if you want to continue using your current router) and patch it over a LAN port, OR, buy a ***simultaneous*** (i.e., supports both at the same time) dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) router.

I'd either buy a standalone 5GHz wireless AP (if you want to continue using your current router) and patch it over a LAN port, OR, buy a **simultaneous** (i.e., supports both at the same time) dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) router.