This Product Key doesn't work

TX2000 Laptop

Extracted key from the system (Been activated nearly 3 months) using Belarc Advisor (and Rock XP just to make sure) only got as far as entering Product Key when trying to change from 32 to 64 bit install. Met with message 'This Product Key doesn't work' Baffled... No hardware changes have been made... What next?
8 answers Last reply
More about this product doesn work
  1. Contact Microsoft they will help.
  2. bigcyco1 said:
    Contact Microsoft they will help.

Tried that. Spent an hour on a chat line. Also tried another key extractor (Magic Jelly Bean) and got a different key from Belarc. Both failed and came up 'invalid'' when checked. Actually the 2nd one tallies with the last 5 digits on the Windows Activation screen. Anyway, the 'expert' advised me to call M'soft Support. Connected to an operator in India, got disconnected twice, probably just as well as the 'expert' I got tried to tell me that you need a separate product key for 32 and 64 bit Win 8 (as far as I know you don't) In fact I proved that on a similar machine, accepted the Key instantly.
  3. Yeah it should be one key for Win8 32/64
  4. Whay key did you use when you installed windows 8 on it? It appears to be like a 4 year old laptop, unless there is a newer model of that I can't find.
  5. getochkn said:
    Whay key did you use when you installed windows 8 on it? It appears to be like a 4 year old laptop, unless there is a newer model of that I can't find.

I used an upgrade key to replace Vista. I usually print off a Belarc report to accompany the upgraded PC as it provides a record of the licence. Meanwhile I found an email with a key on it from about the time I activated that one, but am unsure if it's the right one. I'm currently using the M'soft Win 8 forum t try to find out if the key is linked to the mobo serial number, as that one passes. Don't want to use it if it then fails to activate!
  6. nnorton44 said:
    Yeah it should be one key for Win8 32/64

That's why I won't bother phoning M'soft Support again! Doesn't instil confidence if they don't know that...
  7. Well, did you use the key that came with the windows disc or on the sticker on your machine?
    It shouldn't matter if your using 32 or 64bit it's the same key.
    and just to note... no one in this forum can give you a key or assist in illegally obtaining a key!
  8. johnnyq1233 said:
    Well, did you use the key that came with the windows disc or on the sticker on your machine?
    It shouldn't matter if your using 32 or 64bit it's the same key.
    and just to note... no one in this forum can give you a key or assist in illegally obtaining a key!

Yeah, think I've been around long enough to know that! I used a key that M'soft provide in an email once you've satisfied the Online Upgrade assistant that you have an activated copy of XP, Vista or 7 installed. You can then use an install disk with the new 8 key... In this case it was Vista and activated from key on base of the laptop. Trouble is I did several at once and relied too much on Belarc to accurately record each licence, it obviously failed in this instance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Hardware Windows XP Windows 8