The Altec 604 Speaker

Last response: in Home Audio
March 26, 2005 9:33:41 PM

Are these still used in recording facilities, or anywhere else,
professionally? Are the new ones as good as ones made in the 60s and 70s?

More about : altec 604 speaker

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:33:42 PM

Whether they sound good is opinion but they are indeed still being
manufactured:

http://www.altecpro.com
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:11:57 AM

In article <784d920f315c6064a477686748ceb284@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
AudioTitor <audiotitor26@aol.com> wrote:
> Are these still used in recording facilities, or anywhere else,
>professionally? Are the new ones as good as ones made in the 60s and 70s?

As far as I know, they went out of production in the late eighties, and
I don't think there really were too many dramatic changes in the production
over the years.

For the most part facilities in the west that used them have sold them off,
partly because they were worth a bloody fortune in Japan before the Asian
currency crisis. And partly because, well, they really don't sound very good.

There's a local college auditorium around here that has a bunch of them
in the ceiling... I don't think they have any clue what's up there.
--scott
March 27, 2005 2:33:40 PM

In article <1111886611.004138.217250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Whether they sound good is opinion but they are indeed still being
>manufactured:
>
>http://www.altecpro.com

Are these the guys making the A-7 clones in Korea? I have tried some
of the Korean VotT clones and I wasn't impressed with the quality of
machining and construction.
--scott
March 28, 2005 10:24:15 PM

The Heritage guitars aren't all that close to the real thing. Gibson
as part of their deal made them change not only the headstock shapes
but the body shapes as well, and they look funny.

The Heritage people have absolutely no imagination or desire to do
anything whatsoever original as far as I'm able to see, and while their
products have good craftsmanship, they are basically the Jayne
Mansfield Gibson.

Gibson IMO should have refurbed the original part of the plant as a
museum and logo store and razed the rest. Had the current Heritage
people had to start a guitar business from a clean sheet of paper they
would have actually been better off.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:46:51 PM

I recall watching Polydor (DGG) in 1970 or '71 record the Boston
Symphony (Also Sprach Zaratustra) in 4-channel quad (Ampex 440-4, Dolby
A) and monitoring with A-7's in open backed cabinets.....

--------

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <784d920f315c6064a477686748ceb284@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
> AudioTitor <audiotitor26@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Are these still used in recording facilities, or anywhere else,
>>professionally? Are the new ones as good as ones made in the 60s and 70s?
>

> As far as I know, they went out of production in the late eighties, and
> I don't think there really were too many dramatic changes in the production
> over the years.
>
> For the most part facilities in the west that used them have sold them off,
> partly because they were worth a bloody fortune in Japan before the Asian
> currency crisis. And partly because, well, they really don't sound very good.
>
> There's a local college auditorium around here that has a bunch of them
> in the ceiling... I don't think they have any clue what's up there.
> --scott
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:53:27 PM

scrub the last post.
They were 604E's, not A-7's. Momentary neuron misfire....

-----------

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In article <784d920f315c6064a477686748ceb284@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
> AudioTitor <audiotitor26@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Are these still used in recording facilities, or anywhere else,
>>professionally? Are the new ones as good as ones made in the 60s and 70s?
>

> As far as I know, they went out of production in the late eighties, and
> I don't think there really were too many dramatic changes in the production
> over the years.
>
> For the most part facilities in the west that used them have sold them off,
> partly because they were worth a bloody fortune in Japan before the Asian
> currency crisis. And partly because, well, they really don't sound very good.
>
> There's a local college auditorium around here that has a bunch of them
> in the ceiling... I don't think they have any clue what's up there.
> --scott
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 6:06:55 PM

Don Richardson Wrote:
> scrub the last post.
> They were 604E's, not A-7's. Momentary neuron misfire....

A "604" is the driver, not a cabinet. You can put 604 drivers anywhere
you can fit a 15" speaker... I have a set of 604E's in the gray Altec
"Utility" cabinets... but have put them into 813's from time to time in
lieu of the 801 driver [which was basicly the same driver except it had
that big blue horn bell instead of the 'multicell' horn].

--
Fletcher
!