speaker icon not showingup in taskbar

rc7237

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2003
I'mtryingtofix my nephew's computer. The sound card is not working , so I replaced it with another one. However, I found out that it's not a sound card issue. It was saying that the sound card drivers are loaded but won't produce sound bec. of an unknown error. Every timeit startsup it gives a rundll error at kernel32. Any body have suggestions?

thanks in advance.

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
First of alll what OS are you using.

All I can suggest is reinstall or update your sound card drivers.

Just cos I am a semi skinhead it does not mean that I am a semi PC Guru. I am 25% PC Guru, 15% Thug and 10% Alcoholic!!!

rc7237

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2003
It is running windows 98SE. The reason I installed the new sound card is that It is showing a message before that the sound card is broken. I also installed and uninstalled the driver several times already. The icon disappeared before I installed the new sound card so, I suspect it's not the sound card. If you check the properties, it's saying the device and drivers are working properly but there is an unknown error. I'm thinking about reformating but my nephew lost all the original sw that has all the drivers.
By the way here are the specs;
Gateway performance 500
P3 500 mhz
upgraded to 384mb
20 ghb Hd running on promise ata100 controller
dvd/cdrw
32mb nvidia
Thanks in advance.

G

In the control panel, there is a multimedia icon. Double click that. On the window that appears click the audio tab along the top. At the bottom of that screen there is a checkbox which allows you to turn off/on the speaker picture in the task bar.