Connect a PC to the RJ45 port of a wifi repeater router?

sidx64

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello,

I have a problem!

Here's the Existing setup:

1. I have a Fibre Optic line that comes in to the home from one corner.
2. The line is connected to a modem, which is in turn connected to a Belkin F7D1301 v1 router.
3. This router is a bit far from my room, where I have a PC (whose wlan card stopped functioning recently)
4. The PC cannot be moved to the hall where the modem is, and neither can the modem be moved. No wired connection is possible between them either.

This is what I am thinking of doing:
I want to buy a router and use it as a repeater. Then, I want to connect my PC to the repeater with RJ45 cable. The repeater can strengthen my existing wifi signal (Which I use from laptop and phone), and can also provide connection to my PC which has no WLAN card.

Will this set up work?

If yes, what router must I buy? I have a Belkin 150N Basic router. that is too far from the PC, and cannot be brought close enough to connect with a wire. Hence the complicated set up.

Also, will there be any performace issues with such a setup? I have a basic 1Mbps line and will be using the setup for Multiplayer gaming

You're conflating two different issues here.

Normally a repeater is placed somewhere between the primary router and your wireless clients. And a router is not a repeater, if by repeater we mean a device that can both establish a wireless client connection to the primary router, AND establish its own wireless AP (presumably closer). That said, I suppose you could run an ethernet cable from the primary router to a second router (in AP mode) and accomplish the same thing. It's just a matter whether this is practical.

As far as the PC not having wireless, you could use a wireless ethernet bridge instead of PCI/USB wireless adapter (something I generally recommend for desktops anyway, lots of benefits). Then connect either to the primary router or a wireless repeater.

[primary router]<-- wireless -->[repeater]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[pc]

sidx64

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Thank you for the quick response, eibgrad!

I want to use a router in repeater mode, and then connect the PC via cable to the repeater.

The reason I want to use a Router as a repeater instead of getting an Access point is that I want to be able to use the router in future for other purposes, if needed.

That way, I am hoping I can use the Repeater not only to provide network access to my PC, but also use the strengthened WiFi for my phone and laptop. Also, as I mentioned before, I cannot run a cable between a repeater and the primary router, as it would mean running a cable across the home.

I want something like this. I don't know, but could this work?

[primary router]<-- wireless -->[repeater(router acting as repeater)]<-- wired line[RJ45 LAN port] -->[pc (ethernet port)]

Here is a graphical idea of what I want to achieve: http://i.imgur.com/YIaK0z2.jpg

abelinc

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Hi Sidx64,
I was trying to do the same thing that you did. I am having a belkinN300 router in the basement, using a D-link DIR-505 as a repeater in the upper floor. I am able access internet through wi-fi near the repeater, but I am not able to do the same through a desktop (through ethernet LAN cable). Could you please share with me how you could do it? The desktop detects the network but I do not know what IP address settings I have to use.

Thanks