headphone switch

Last response: in Home Audio
March 27, 2005 10:18:41 AM

Does anyone know of a cheap headphone output switch?

I have the Eurorack Mx 602A (simple 4/6 track mixer) that has both a
"Phones" volume level control as well as "Main Mix" volume level.

The problem is this: at various times during recording or listening to
music, I want the sound to go through just my headphones and not my
powered monitors. However, the two volume control knobs are not
independant; to get sound coming out of the headphones, you need the
Main Mix loud enough as well. So the only way to play sound quietly
(ie just through the headphones), is to have both volume knows turned
up and for me to physically remove the 2 "Main Out" cords that go from
my mixers output to my powered monitors. This isn't the end of the
world, but it is a slight pain, I guess I'm just lazy :)  Ideally I
want a switch for this.

At my local major music store they told me there was no way to get the
mixer I have to do what I want, and that the only mixers they know of
that do that are higher end ones like 12-16 tracks or more.

So, is there another mixer/switch device I can find that will let me
just press a button and have it switch to the Headphones only?

I guess another possibility is to just buy a used 2-track stereo mixer
and put that between my current mixer's output and the powered
speakers. Then, to hear sounds from the headphones only, I would just
put the Main Mix volume on the 2-track to 0, with the Main Mix +
Headphones set on.

Thoughts? This is obviously just a very minor detail that I can live
without, but for some reason it is annoying to me to no end :)

-Taric

More about : headphone switch

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:28:10 AM

<taric@purpletunic.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a cheap headphone output switch?
>
> I have the Eurorack Mx 602A (simple 4/6 track mixer) that has both a
> "Phones" volume level control as well as "Main Mix" volume level.
>
> The problem is this: at various times during recording or listening to
> music, I want the sound to go through just my headphones and not my
> powered monitors. However, the two volume control knobs are not
> independant; to get sound coming out of the headphones, you need the
> Main Mix loud enough as well. So the only way to play sound quietly
> (ie just through the headphones), is to have both volume knows turned
> up and for me to physically remove the 2 "Main Out" cords that go from
> my mixers output to my powered monitors. This isn't the end of the
> world, but it is a slight pain, I guess I'm just lazy :)  Ideally I
> want a switch for this.
>
> At my local major music store they told me there was no way to get the
> mixer I have to do what I want, and that the only mixers they know of
> that do that are higher end ones like 12-16 tracks or more.
>
> So, is there another mixer/switch device I can find that will let me
> just press a button and have it switch to the Headphones only?
>
> I guess another possibility is to just buy a used 2-track stereo mixer
> and put that between my current mixer's output and the powered
> speakers. Then, to hear sounds from the headphones only, I would just
> put the Main Mix volume on the 2-track to 0, with the Main Mix +
> Headphones set on.
>
> Thoughts? This is obviously just a very minor detail that I can live
> without, but for some reason it is annoying to me to no end :)

I need the same thing and I'm just making a small
metal box with a DPDT switch and four connectors
(2 in and 2 out).
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:26:14 PM

Just a thought here, but there are (used to be?) inexpensive audio
selectors that allowed you to switch between different inputs. They
were originally intended for switching multiple tape decks; basically
the same idea as those three way video switchers you can buy at Radio
Shack only with RCA connectors. Put the mixer output into Tape 1 in
and output the selector to your speakers; then switch to Tape 2 or 3
when using headphones only.
March 27, 2005 4:12:20 PM

In article <1111933121.657686.28340@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> taric@purpletunic.com writes:

> Does anyone know of a cheap headphone output switch?

> The problem is this: at various times during recording or listening to
> music, I want the sound to go through just my headphones and not my
> powered monitors.

This is the sort of thing that engineers used to build themselves. Why
not think it thorugh with a pencil and piece of paper, go to Radio
Shack, buy some parts, and put it together yourself. It's not, as
Fletche says, "rocket surgery."

> At my local major music store they told me there was no way to get the
> mixer I have to do what I want, and that the only mixers they know of
> that do that are higher end ones like 12-16 tracks or more.

Well, one of the ways that they make mixers inexpensive is to leave
off some functions that not everyone needs.

> So, is there another mixer/switch device I can find that will let me
> just press a button and have it switch to the Headphones only?

You may be able to buy something but it may be hard to find and it may
cost as much as your mixer. Not that it's that complicated (which is
why I suggested building it yourself) but that it costs money to make
a box with a few holes in it.

March 27, 2005 7:47:13 PM

<taric@purpletunic.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a cheap headphone output switch?

Sounds to me that what you want is a switch to mute your mains. If you
have a console without a real monitor section and you don't want to invest
in an outboard monitor control (like the Mackie "Big Knob"), you can probably
just put a DP4T switch and a couple XLR connectors into a project box so
the monitors are muted when you flip the switch.
---scott
March 28, 2005 12:08:04 AM

Dave B. here, real cheap real dirty, butcher the patch cord between control
room out and your monitor amp, insert a double pole double throw toggle
switch there. I would put the amplifier input on the center switch contacts
and the control room out on one end and a termination resistor ( 1 to 10 K
ohms) in the other end of the switch to keep the amp quiet while not in use.
If you have a little DC on the output of the console it may cause a pop in
the monitor when switched. Or replace the switch with a dual audio taper pot
10 K ohms would do, tiny dpdt switches mount in 1/4 inch holes almost any
where, just put it where you wont hit it accidentally. If you use your
existing cables you are talking about a $4.00 investment, the price goes up
if you add shielding and an enclosure--- like I said cheap and dirty-- but
it will silence your monitor on command.
Good luck.
<taric@purpletunic.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a cheap headphone output switch?
>
> I have the Eurorack Mx 602A (simple 4/6 track mixer) that has both a
> "Phones" volume level control as well as "Main Mix" volume level.
>
> The problem is this: at various times during recording or listening to
> music, I want the sound to go through just my headphones and not my
> powered monitors. However, the two volume control knobs are not
> independant; to get sound coming out of the headphones, you need the
> Main Mix loud enough as well. So the only way to play sound quietly
> (ie just through the headphones), is to have both volume knows turned
> up and for me to physically remove the 2 "Main Out" cords that go from
> my mixers output to my powered monitors. This isn't the end of the
> world, but it is a slight pain, I guess I'm just lazy :)  Ideally I
> want a switch for this.
>
> At my local major music store they told me there was no way to get the
> mixer I have to do what I want, and that the only mixers they know of
> that do that are higher end ones like 12-16 tracks or more.
>
> So, is there another mixer/switch device I can find that will let me
> just press a button and have it switch to the Headphones only?
>
> I guess another possibility is to just buy a used 2-track stereo mixer
> and put that between my current mixer's output and the powered
> speakers. Then, to hear sounds from the headphones only, I would just
> put the Main Mix volume on the 2-track to 0, with the Main Mix +
> Headphones set on.
>
> Thoughts? This is obviously just a very minor detail that I can live
> without, but for some reason it is annoying to me to no end :)
>
> -Taric

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:54:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the help!