Hey! Did you see Telefunken's new prices?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 27, 2005 2:06:05 PM

I was reading the new Full Compass catalog to discover that the 251 has
descended from ten or twelve grand to a list price around five and a
half. Their low-priced model (yet hand made and hopefully more - the
M14?) is actually cheaper than some Chinese mics! Wow, I wish they
hadn't waited to do this. I'm broke!

More about : hey telefunken prices

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 27, 2005 4:19:39 PM

JimKollens wrote:
> I was reading the new Full Compass catalog to discover that the 251 has
> descended from ten or twelve grand to a list price around five and a
> half. Their low-priced model (yet hand made and hopefully more - the
> M14?) is actually cheaper than some Chinese mics! Wow, I wish they
> hadn't waited to do this. I'm broke!

I noticed this too. Has anybody compared the new 251's to the originals?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 27, 2005 10:14:28 PM

Actually, the 251 that they sell now for 5k is not exactly their
original 10k offering. The 5k version doesn't come with the industrial
case and the power supply is no longer an accurate re-creation of the
original. More modern...cheaper to produce. But they claim that the mic
itself is identical. Although they vehimently defended the 10k price
originally, this seems more like a way to now save face and bring the
mic in at a better price point. I just don't think a case and a power
supply add up to 5k.

As for the sound....I think it sounds fabulous. I think it does sound
like the vibe of a good original 251, keeping in mind that these days
not all 251s are in perfect condition and so the performance varies
quite a bit.
I'd go for the 5k model. Also, the M14 is discontinued, but they have
introduced a new model: the RTF-16. It does use some Chinese parts, but
it is assembled and QC'd at Telefunken USA. I haven't heard these yet,
but I'm anxious to. The list on that is $1,399.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
www.paradisestudios.net

!