Waiting for patchot :^/

Well, call it, if you wish, limbo.

The games I would like to play just now (and that I have bought and
installed):

War in the Pacific
Supreme Ruler 2010
Hearts of Iron 2
Boiling Point

War in the Pacific: as of 1.5, CV air operations are screwed, pilot
allocation is broken, but "soon" the new patch will fix the problems.

Supreme Ruler 2010: Units cannot be grouped in formations, missiles are
screwed up, some features (i.e. Special Ops) are missing, the diplomatic
model needs more work, but all of this will be fixed in the next patches,
due "soon".

Hearts of Iron 2: The manpower bug eats manpower so fast that your human
resources simply melt, but, beside an unofficial fix made by players, all
will be well with the next patch, due "soon".

Boiling Point: a great Action RPG, sort of a mix between Far Cry, Deus Ex
and Morrowind, but with a ton of problems and bugs - most of them actually
solved in the first patch, just published for the US edition. Problem is:
the US edition itself has not been published, while the EU edition, which is
out on the shelves, is waiting for its own patch ("soon").

If anyone is wondering, I'm playing Pokemon Blue on my GBA.

> Hearts of Iron 2: The manpower bug eats manpower so fast that your human
> resources simply melt, but, beside an unofficial fix made by players, all
> will be well with the next patch, due "soon".

I've only noticed the manpower bug playing as Germany in Russia. Is it
elsewhere too, or do you just like playing Germany?
--

Epi

------------
Things I think about throughout the day:

"Play that funky music white boy"
"Play that donkey music farm boy"
"Play that monkey music Tarzan" (this one is a little different)
"Play that junkie music bong boy"
"Play that lunky music loy boy" (I don't really understand this one)
"Play that crunchy music cap'n" (this one is a little different too)

I think everyone should take a little time each day to contemplate the
weighty issues that affect our lives.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com

On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:50:30 +0200, "Vincenzo Beretta"
<reckall@hotmail.com> wrote:

>War in the Pacific: as of 1.5, CV air operations are screwed, pilot
>allocation is broken, but "soon" the new patch will fix the problems.

Happily playing 4 PBEMs probably will be starting fifth very
soon. If you take care of your pilots and allocate some manually,
you're fine.

O.

> I've only noticed the manpower bug playing as Germany in Russia. Is it
> elsewhere too, or do you just like playing Germany?

I noticed it with Germany too, but it seems to be generalized - an error in
a routine managing manpower, IIRC.

>> World War 2 in Europe : The First Blitzkrieg
>> http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/TWIE/Blitz/blitz.html
>
> I'm moderately waiting for this one. Sounds like a PC version of "Europa"
> by
> GDW, at least in spirit (even if the scale is different - but, after
> Pacific
> War, playing one day WWII in Europe at two days a turn doesn't sound
> anymore
> crazy; maybe we could organize some PBEM of the two games at the same
> time,
> starting in Dec 1941 for the USA).

I've been playing this for about a week. My copy is almost certain to hit
eBay within another week. It is basically a 1970's monster wargame (War in
Europe, Europa, etc.) with a more complicated combat calculation, fog of
war, and little else. There's no command & control. There are only two
states of supply: IN and OUT OF. There are no formations -- each unit is an
entity all to itself. There's no historical "chrome" -- for example: there
are no rules to prevent French, Belgian, and British units from all stacking
and fighting in the same hex. Other than slightly different strength
ratings, the only difference between nationalities is the color of the icon.

Folks who are old hands at HPS games will probably have no problem with the
graphics but the tiny units drive me nuts. I got tired of having to
constantly look over to the left side of the screen for any info on the tiny
units I had selected. About 2/3 of the units on the map are support units --
engineers, arty, MGs, rail repair, etc. It's hard to tell some of them
apart, especially the arty, without checking them out constantly in the unit
box, which requires more looking back and forth, back and forth. Would it
kill HPS to make the counters bigger and put some numbers on the counters?
The map is bland with very few terrain types but it is serviceable.

Don't believe anything HPS is saying about improved AI. It may be a
different AI but it's no better. This game is strictly PBEM only. It's
ridiculously easy to win as the Axis against the AI and just as easy to win
as the Allies against an Axis AI. To give one an idea of how pathetic the AI
is, I set up an AI vs AI game of the invasion of France. By the end of the
game, the Germans had managed to get three units all of 1 hex (10 KM) into
France, nor had they taken Belgium out of the war. The other German units
were all stacked up in southern Belgium and Luxem. With a human (me) playing
the Allies, the German AI didn't even do that well.

Some of the scenarios are goofy. I took out all of Norway's "surrender
objectives" by turn 5 or 6. However, the scenario went on for many more
turns as tiny French and British units made pathetic attempts to land in
hexes that I controlled. Mostly I just hit the "end turn" button over and
over.

On the plus side, it's relatively bug free and plays quickly. But there are
much, much better operational games out there.