Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

landline to cell number transfer question

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 9, 2005 11:41:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I am thinking of canceling my wired phone and transferring the number to
my currently active Sprint PCS phone. I was all set to do this, but when
I talked to a rep in the Sprint store, I was told that my current PCS
phone would immediately be deactivated and would be reactivated in a
couple of days when the number was transferred.

I would like to know if this is true. It seems like it would not be
necessary to deactivate my PCS phone that soon. Couldn't they wait until
the new number was available? I do not want to do this if I have to be
without the cell phone for several days.

Thanks for any comments or help.

Dan
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:34:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:41:11 GMT, Dan <not@available.now> wrote:

>I am thinking of canceling my wired phone and transferring the number to
>my currently active Sprint PCS phone. I was all set to do this, but when
>I talked to a rep in the Sprint store, I was told that my current PCS
>phone would immediately be deactivated and would be reactivated in a
>couple of days when the number was transferred.
>
>I would like to know if this is true. It seems like it would not be
>necessary to deactivate my PCS phone that soon. Couldn't they wait until
>the new number was available? I do not want to do this if I have to be
>without the cell phone for several days.
>
>Thanks for any comments or help.
>
>Dan

I did this back in Nov-Dec and there were some issues like that. I
think I was told I might not have a phone for a week! Only I was
told AFTER the order was put through. Once the order was
initiated they couldn't stop it thru that office so I ended up getting
a manager on the line to help me straighten things out. I can't
remember how they did it, but somehow I managed to only lose my phone
service for a few hours.
There was also a period where I wasn't getting my voicemail messages
in a timely manner. I mean I would get them a day or two after the
message was left. I was told this was "normal" with the phone #
switch.
I was also suprised that they have no ability to place a recording on
my old cell number that would inform people I may have forgotten to
tell what my new number is. This is something I would have paid for
but they said they couldn't do it. I can't imagine why they
couldn't but they're missing a revenue stream there!

Final note is that while is was a bit of a hassle, I'm very glad I did
it. No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
lose the ability to fax something from my home and I have occasionally
had a problem with misplacing my phone in the house somewhere and not
being able to find it but I think I got those problems solved. See
earlier post "Call my phone from my computer?".

Good luck,
John
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:19:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
> No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
> lose the ability to fax something from my home

What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
is nowhere near as good as from a landline.

--
John Richards
Related resources
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
>> No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
>> lose the ability to fax something from my home

> What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?

Not sure how John Richards, but I have cable, and that's what I do for
an ISP. It's faster than DSL anyway.

> Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
> is nowhere near as good as from a landline.

Fortuantely, there is the wireless E-911 intiative which is supposed to
change that.


--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:06:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:19:05 GMT, "John Richards"
<jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

>"John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
>> No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
>> lose the ability to fax something from my home
>
>What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
>Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
>is nowhere near as good as from a landline.

I have cable internet and I've never worried about 911 response time.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:25:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
news:ZO16e.21261$DW.10278@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> "John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
> > No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
> > lose the ability to fax something from my home
>
> What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
> Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
> is nowhere near as good as from a landline.
>
> --
> John Richards

Hmmm, that's something I didn't think of before. When one calls 911 from a
cell phone where the number has been ported from a landline, does 911 know
that? Since the capability has been in effect, do 911 operators now ask
whether the calls are coming from a landline or a cell phone? Anyone know?

Bob
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:54:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message news:k19i51lgre6hrfr22h2hqlnk17o077opcs@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:19:05 GMT, "John Richards"
> <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
>>> No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
>>> lose the ability to fax something from my home
>>
>>What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
>>Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
>>is nowhere near as good as from a landline.
>
> I have cable internet and I've never worried about 911 response time.

Well, let's hope you'll never need to call 911 for a real emergency.
I called 911 recently from my cellphone to report a traffic accident.
Ten minutes later I was still on hold...

--
John Richards
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message news:115hciekij6bded@corp.supernews.com...
> John Richards wrote:
>
>> Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
>> is nowhere near as good as from a landline.
>
> Fortuantely, there is the wireless E-911 intiative which is supposed to
> change that.

That's nice for some day in the future, but doesn't help right now.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:24:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:25:24 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>
>"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
>news:ZO16e.21261$DW.10278@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>> "John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
>> > No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
>> > lose the ability to fax something from my home
>>
>> What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
>> Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
>> is nowhere near as good as from a landline.
>>
>> --
>> John Richards
>
>Hmmm, that's something I didn't think of before. When one calls 911 from a
>cell phone where the number has been ported from a landline, does 911 know
>that? Since the capability has been in effect, do 911 operators now ask
>whether the calls are coming from a landline or a cell phone? Anyone know?
>
>Bob
Actually now that I think of it, I have called 911 from both a land
line, and a cell phone. In fact I've called with my cell phone when
I had the old cell number as well as with the transported landline
number that I now have. Can't say as I notice any difference in
response time. The only time I was concerned about the response time
was maybe 15yrs ago when a nutcase neighbor called me at midnight,
accused me of stealing his mail and said he was on his way over to
shoot me. The police substation was maybe 3 minutes down the road
but it took over 20 minutes for them to get there.
Just the other day I called when I suspected a very elderly man was
having a problem and I wanted the police to check in on him. I've
also called from my cell for accidents, drunk drivers, etc. I've
never had a problem with response time except for the neighbor
incident. I can't remember ever having made a 911 call when they
would have to figure out where I was by the phone number though.
I've always been able to tell them.
Guess I'll just laugh in the face of danger and take my chances with
my cell for the future!
>
April 11, 2005 2:56:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
> "John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:k19i51lgre6hrfr22h2hqlnk17o077opcs@4ax.com...
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:19:05 GMT, "John Richards"
>> <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> "John/Charleston" <NOTjohns2222@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:kcvg51dkoc4j04ugbi1e4e087k84l8d2qe@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>> No more Bell South and only one number to give out. I did
>>>> lose the ability to fax something from my home
>>>
>>>
>>> What do you do for ISP/Internet access at home?
>>> Also, in most jurisdictions response time to 911 calls from cellphones
>>> is nowhere near as good as from a landline.
>>
>>
>> I have cable internet and I've never worried about 911 response time.
>
>
> Well, let's hope you'll never need to call 911 for a real emergency.
> I called 911 recently from my cellphone to report a traffic accident.
> Ten minutes later I was still on hold...
>

I posted the original question, which was more about the implementation
of the number transfer.

For these issues, I too have a cable modem. Dialing 911 is an issue, but
I can't really justify having the landline expense just for that. About
the only other use I made of it was occasionally calling my cell phone
to test the phone or some feature.

I do intend to cancel it. The only undecided factor is which number to keep.

Dan
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:11:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> news:115hciekij6bded@corp.supernews.com...

>> Fortuantely, there is the wireless E-911 intiative which is supposed
>> to change that.
>
>
> That's nice for some day in the future, but doesn't help right now.

Well John, no one is forcing you to give up your landline. I on the
other hand, have called 911 on my cell and found response time to be
quite satisfactory, so I saw no reason at all for me to continue paying
for a tranditional landline phone.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:08:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message news:115lfen3cbqbt4b@corp.supernews.com...
> John Richards wrote:
>> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
>> news:115hciekij6bded@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>> Fortuantely, there is the wireless E-911 intiative which is supposed
>>> to change that.
>>
>>
>> That's nice for some day in the future, but doesn't help right now.
>
> Well John, no one is forcing you to give up your landline. I on the
> other hand, have called 911 on my cell and found response time to be
> quite satisfactory, so I saw no reason at all for me to continue paying
> for a tranditional landline phone.

I stipulated earlier that it depends upon the jurisdiction. In my home
state (CA), mobile 911 calls are handed off to a CHP district office
which is often in a different county, and is typically grossly
understaffed for that task.

--
John Richards
!