Which version of Windows 7 do I purchase?

unknown9122

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I am about to build a PC and I can't find a cheap copy of Windows other than the OEM version. What does this mean and is it enough to load on my machine? Or do i need to invest in the $180 Windows 7 key.

Is this the version I have to buy?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116716&nm_mc=OTC-FroogleNEW&cm_mmc=OTC-FroogleNEW-_-Software+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116716

Or will this upgrade work?:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Starter/dp/B002K7C1HG

inerax

Distinguished
Think you dont understand.. they are not that different

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Hi :)

OEM has two disadvantages

1, Its ILLEGAL.... its intended for people like me who build and sell machines....

2, It locks to the new motherboard, so you cannot legally EVER use it on another machine...

All the best Brett :)

You forgot the last line...

- OEM version are illegal for single users ...

Original Equipment Manufacturer < thats what it stand for

inerax

Distinguished

LMFAO.... below is found on toms.

"So am I correct to assume that using a Windows 7 OEM license for a personal use build is illegal?"
NO!
Anyone building their own, is a systems buider and no one can be made to sell.
Your interpretation would put a lot of computer OS and components suppliers out of business.

Look...I AM AN OEM ....

If you dont believe me ...ASK MICROSOFT IF A SINGLE HOME USER CAN USE AN OEM LEGALLY !!!

Lol....let me explain it from my point of view as an OEM....

I own computer companies and a laptop repair company in the UK....

We build custom built machines and obviously HAVE TO put on a LEGAL version of Windows on the machines we build...

Now Microsoft brought out Oem licences so that companies like mine can stay legal AND make a small profit on the licence...which SHOULD keep the machine prices slightly lower for our customer...

The fact that LOTS of sites like NEWEGG have no morals and break MS terms and conditions by selling OEM licences to ANYONE does NOT make it either right or legal....

The fact that MS do not bother to persue them legally does not help matters...but the reason is obvious.....its because they sell a LOT of Oem licences ....even though they should not....

So thats my point of view....for what its worth....

inerax

Distinguished

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

I was unaware of the terms that OEM cannot be personal use. And that is because they are sold on Newegg and every other site...

But myself and I'm sure 1000's of other people have had no problems with OEM... Now when/if i purchase an OEM copy I'll think different before I do ;)

I appreciate that you have now thought about it, maybe most people dont realise either.... in the UK its not quite as bad as in the US from what I can see...it seems over there that just about any site sells it :(

The long term effect is another consequence....if you think about it....

Oem licences were for manufacturers like me....the original idea was actually for small companies....but of course the big ones like Dell , HP etc etc demanded the same rights....

Now those big companies also get OEM licences a LOT cheaper than I do (take my word lol)...

So small companies will eventually be driven out of manufacturing because the profit is so small on a custom built machine...

And what will that leave....ONLY the majors......and once that happens, want to guess which way the prices will go ?

Apologies for harping on but its a bit of a bugbear for me...as you can see lol :)