Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which version of Windows 7 do I purchase?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 25, 2012 10:02:44 PM

I am about to build a PC and I can't find a cheap copy of Windows other than the OEM version. What does this mean and is it enough to load on my machine? Or do i need to invest in the $180 Windows 7 key.

Is this the version I have to buy?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or will this upgrade work?:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade...

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 10:14:13 PM

Hi :) 

NEITHER is correct for you....

But Home Premium retail...

All the best Brett :) 
Share
June 25, 2012 10:14:57 PM

OEM just means you can only install it on 1 computer. it registers to the mobo or processor (i don't remember which one). It also means it does not come with box, and directions and junk. disk and key only.... all i ever needed.

I am running 7 ultimate 64 bit OEM from newegg.

If you can run 64 bit get that. Ultimate is overkill.

go with this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 10:18:14 PM

I dont really wanna give microsoft $180. 99 is also a bit overkill,but it will have to do other than ubuntu.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:25:20 PM

I would rather buy the full one, I dont really wanna waste my time with the OEM ***.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:28:47 PM

Think you dont understand.. they are not that different

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 10:31:24 PM

unknown9122 said:
I would rather buy the full one, I dont really wanna waste my time with the OEM ***.


Hi :) 

OEM has two disadvantages

1, Its ILLEGAL.... its intended for people like me who build and sell machines....

2, It locks to the new motherboard, so you cannot legally EVER use it on another machine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 10:31:53 PM

inerax said:
Think you dont understand.. they are not that different

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system



Hi :) 

You forgot the last line...

- OEM version are illegal for single users ...

Original Equipment Manufacturer < thats what it stand for
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:32:08 PM

Hmm, I might still buy Windows 7 to keep because Win 8 is a bust, and I will load win 7 onto a future PC
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:34:29 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

OEM has two disadvantages

1, Its ILLEGAL.... its intended for people like me who build and sell machines....

2, It locks to the new motherboard, so you cannot legally EVER use it on another machine...

All the best Brett :) 



LMFAO.... below is found on toms.


"So am I correct to assume that using a Windows 7 OEM license for a personal use build is illegal?"
NO!
Anyone building their own, is a systems buider and no one can be made to sell.
Your interpretation would put a lot of computer OS and components suppliers out of business.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:34:39 PM

well I am a student so can i buy oem version of windows 7 and upgrade for 70 bucks by being a student to pro?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 10:36:21 PM

inerax said:
LMFAO.... below is found on toms.


"So am I correct to assume that using a Windows 7 OEM license for a personal use build is illegal?"
NO!
Anyone building their own, is a systems buider and no one can be made to sell.
Your interpretation would put a lot of computer OS and components suppliers out of business.



Hi :) 

Look...I AM AN OEM ....

If you dont believe me ...ASK MICROSOFT IF A SINGLE HOME USER CAN USE AN OEM LEGALLY !!!

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:39:36 PM

I love how Brett keeps his cool with the :) . lol go Brett!
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:45:00 PM

Ok ok.. you are right... it is not ILLEGAL but it is against the Microsoft terms and conditions....

I have not had a problem with OEM except for installing a new MOBO....

my back ;) 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 10:51:23 PM

unknown9122 said:
I love how Brett keeps his cool with the :) . lol go Brett!


Hi :) 

Lol....let me explain it from my point of view as an OEM....

I own computer companies and a laptop repair company in the UK....

We build custom built machines and obviously HAVE TO put on a LEGAL version of Windows on the machines we build...

Now Microsoft brought out Oem licences so that companies like mine can stay legal AND make a small profit on the licence...which SHOULD keep the machine prices slightly lower for our customer...

The fact that LOTS of sites like NEWEGG have no morals and break MS terms and conditions by selling OEM licences to ANYONE does NOT make it either right or legal....

The fact that MS do not bother to persue them legally does not help matters...but the reason is obvious.....its because they sell a LOT of Oem licences ....even though they should not....

So thats my point of view....for what its worth....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 10:58:09 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Lol....let me explain it from my point of view as an OEM....

I own computer companies and a laptop repair company in the UK....

We build custom built machines and obviously HAVE TO put on a LEGAL version of Windows on the machines we build...

Now Microsoft brought out Oem licences so that companies like mine can stay legal AND make a small profit on the licence...which SHOULD keep the machine prices slightly lower for our customer...

The fact that LOTS of sites like NEWEGG have no morals and break MS terms and conditions by selling OEM licences to ANYONE does NOT make it either right or legal....

The fact that MS do not bother to persue them legally does not help matters...but the reason is obvious.....its because they sell a LOT of Oem licences ....even though they should not....

So thats my point of view....for what its worth....

All the best Brett :) 


Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

I was unaware of the terms that OEM cannot be personal use. And that is because they are sold on Newegg and every other site...

But myself and I'm sure 1000's of other people have had no problems with OEM... Now when/if i purchase an OEM copy I'll think different before I do ;) 

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2012 11:05:48 PM

inerax said:
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

I was unaware of the terms that OEM cannot be personal use. And that is because they are sold on Newegg and every other site...

But myself and I'm sure 1000's of other people have had no problems with OEM... Now when/if i purchase an OEM copy I'll think different before I do ;) 



Hi :) 

I appreciate that you have now thought about it, maybe most people dont realise either.... in the UK its not quite as bad as in the US from what I can see...it seems over there that just about any site sells it :( 

The long term effect is another consequence....if you think about it....

Oem licences were for manufacturers like me....the original idea was actually for small companies....but of course the big ones like Dell , HP etc etc demanded the same rights....

Now those big companies also get OEM licences a LOT cheaper than I do (take my word lol)...

So small companies will eventually be driven out of manufacturing because the profit is so small on a custom built machine...

And what will that leave....ONLY the majors......and once that happens, want to guess which way the prices will go ?

Apologies for harping on but its a bit of a bugbear for me...as you can see lol :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 11:06:05 PM

yeah 4 times the reviews on oem not regular
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:06:47 AM

Best answer selected by UNKNOWN9122.
m
0
l
!