Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

All RAM gets used up

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 25, 2012 10:28:08 PM

When I turn my laptop on the RAM instantly spikes and 98% of it says its being used. This lasts for about 10 minutes and during this time I can barely use my laptop. After those 10 minutes it happens once in a while while my laptop remains on. I have all current updates install and have Norton Anti Virus installed and after several different scans no viruses or malware of any kind. Please help :( 

More about : ram

June 25, 2012 10:35:52 PM

Could you open your task manager and find out which process is taking up the memory?
June 25, 2012 10:43:23 PM

How much RAM have you got, and what operating system are you using?
Related resources
June 25, 2012 11:02:32 PM

Sounds to me like your laptop is either getting a little long in the tooth, or did not ship with enough ram for the operating system chosen to begin with. The fact that you mention this happens at startup points to this. As your system ages, windows updates, programs update, you install new programs, etc., all of which take a larger and larger chunk out of your systems resources, making it necessary to upgrade or replace your system.

You might try to revert your laptop to factory settings, which would remove any unneccessary clutter that is eating into your ram. Make sure you back up all your personal files prior to reverting your laptop to factory settings. You will also have to reinstall any programs, etc. that did not originally come with the computer. Here is a link that would assist with this. http://www.ehow.com/video_4766635_reboot-computer-back-...

you might also try to upgrade your system with more ram. this isn't an easy process with a laptop and it isn't always possible depending on the specific laptop you have, so it's best for you to check with the original manufacturer either online or via tech support (if you still have this available) to make sure you 1) can upgrade the ram, and 2) get compatible ram for your laptop. Here is a link that will assist with that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirNejnzbEM

If your system is particularly outdated, it could just be that it is time for you to replace it with something a little more powerful. This is an option you would want to consider as well.


Hope this helps!

Kel
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 12:10:57 AM

power off the laptop and check that ram is seated in the ram slots. then boot into safe mode and check that you dont have two anti virus software or two malware programs running. I would also use msconfig and turn everything off in start up. i would run a hijackthis log and post it here plus ccleaner and defrag. if your hard drive is too full then windows may not be able ot make a swap file.
June 26, 2012 1:25:33 AM

Chairman Ray said:
Could you open your task manager and find out which process is taking up the memory?


As far as I can tell its a svchost.exe process
June 26, 2012 1:26:37 AM

aaab said:
How much RAM have you got, and what operating system are you using?


i have 8 gb of ram and am using windows 7 home edition
June 26, 2012 1:29:15 AM

kelthic said:
Sounds to me like your laptop is either getting a little long in the tooth, or did not ship with enough ram for the operating system chosen to begin with. The fact that you mention this happens at startup points to this. As your system ages, windows updates, programs update, you install new programs, etc., all of which take a larger and larger chunk out of your systems resources, making it necessary to upgrade or replace your system.

You might try to revert your laptop to factory settings, which would remove any unneccessary clutter that is eating into your ram. Make sure you back up all your personal files prior to reverting your laptop to factory settings. You will also have to reinstall any programs, etc. that did not originally come with the computer. Here is a link that would assist with this. http://www.ehow.com/video_4766635_reboot-computer-back-...

you might also try to upgrade your system with more ram. this isn't an easy process with a laptop and it isn't always possible depending on the specific laptop you have, so it's best for you to check with the original manufacturer either online or via tech support (if you still have this available) to make sure you 1) can upgrade the ram, and 2) get compatible ram for your laptop. Here is a link that will assist with that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirNejnzbEM

If your system is particularly outdated, it could just be that it is time for you to replace it with something a little more powerful. This is an option you would want to consider as well.


Hope this helps!



Kel


my laptop isnt even a year old though. I have 8 gb of ram so that should be enough. Id hate to reinstall everything but maybe i should try the safe mode thing
June 26, 2012 1:30:23 AM

gmccleary11 said:
i have 8 gb of ram and am using windows 7 home edition


You are running 64bit win 7? (I hope!) Is it all up to date?
June 26, 2012 1:31:38 AM

gmccleary11 said:
my laptop isnt even a year old though. I have 8 gb of ram so that should be enough. Id hate to reinstall everything but maybe i should try the safe mode thing



This is what happens when you make assumptions. "It makes an ass out of you and me"
June 26, 2012 1:32:56 AM

smorizio said:
power off the laptop and check that ram is seated in the ram slots. then boot into safe mode and check that you dont have two anti virus software or two malware programs running. I would also use msconfig and turn everything off in start up. i would run a hijackthis log and post it here plus ccleaner and defrag. if your hard drive is too full then windows may not be able ot make a swap file.



I have Norton and Windows defender each active at the same time. should I uninstall Windows Defender? Maybe this wld solve the problem?......
June 26, 2012 1:36:00 AM

aaab said:
You are running 64bit win 7? (I hope!) Is it all up to date?


sorry yes it is 64 bit and all updates are installed
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 1:37:54 AM

gmccleary11 said:
I have Norton and Windows defender each active at the same time. should I uninstall Windows Defender? Maybe this wld solve the problem?......


You shouldn't have two security software products installed at the same time because they can conflict with eachother.

You should uninstall Norton because it's a massive resource hog, mostly ineffective, and I almost guarantee that it's what's causing your problem.

Also uninstall Windows Defender, replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials.
June 26, 2012 1:39:37 AM

Pinhedd said:
You shouldn't have two security software products installed at the same time because they can conflict with eachother.

You should uninstall Norton because it's a massive resource hog, mostly ineffective, and I almost guarantee that it's what's causing your problem.

Also uninstall Windows Defender, replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials.


Im sorry, I meant to say i have Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials. I am hesitant about uninstalling Norton,... Isnt Norton better?
June 26, 2012 1:41:36 AM

Open Task Manager, and go to the 'Performance' tab. Tell us the 4 values you see under 'Physical memory'. I want to rule out whether what you're seeing is just Windows Superfetch in action - this caches a whole load of files into RAM, so it will minimize the 'Free' memory, while increasing the 'Cached' memory. This is a good thing.
June 26, 2012 1:41:56 AM

In task manager, go to view and select the "PID" column. Then note the PID of the offending svchost process. After that, go to the services tab and list all of the services with that PID.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 1:43:08 AM

gmccleary11 said:
Im sorry, I meant to say i have Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials. I am hesitant about uninstalling Norton,... Isnt Norton better?


Norton is the TSA of security suites. The only reason it works at all is because it prevents you from doing anything at all.
June 26, 2012 1:47:12 AM

arunphilip said:
Open Task Manager, and go to the 'Performance' tab. Tell us the 4 values you see under 'Physical memory'. I want to rule out whether what you're seeing is just Windows Superfetch in action - this caches a whole load of files into RAM, so it will minimize the 'Free' memory, while increasing the 'Cached' memory. This is a good thing.


Physical Memory (MB)
Total: 8139
Cached: 323
Available: 310
Free: 0
June 26, 2012 1:47:17 AM

Right click on 'my computer' and click manage. You should see the event viewer in there. I can't describe exactly where it is in windows 7
June 26, 2012 1:49:50 AM

math1337 said:
In task manager, go to view and select the "PID" column. Then note the PID of the offending svchost process. After that, go to the services tab and list all of the services with that PID.


WinDefend has a PID of 9028
June 26, 2012 1:56:46 AM

Pinhedd said:
Norton is the TSA of security suites. The only reason it works at all is because it prevents you from doing anything at all.


so what antivirus program should i use that gives me good protection?
June 26, 2012 2:01:49 AM

gmccleary11 said:
so what antivirus program should i use that gives me good protection?


I use Avast but many people like AVG or, as mentioned earlier, Microsoft Security Essentials. Check out CNet for reviews if interested.
June 26, 2012 2:07:33 AM

fizzle22 said:
I use Avast but many people like AVG or, as mentioned earlier, Microsoft Security Essentials. Check out CNet for reviews if interested.


thanks for the info :) 
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 2:18:09 AM

gmccleary11 said:
so what antivirus program should i use that gives me good protection?


The best antivirus is a smart user :)  Don't plug n your password every time UAC comes up, don't install pirated software or use keygens, don't install random pieces of freeware or trial products unless they come from a trusted source, don't let anyone else use your computer with administrator access. Following these simple steps is enough to protect against 98% of all possible attack vectors.

Windows 7 is architecturally much different than Windows XP. The days of rampant malware and viruses are gone.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough at warding off pieces of software that are up to no good and is very lightweight.
June 26, 2012 3:26:46 PM

Pinhedd said:
The best antivirus is a smart user :)  Don't plug n your password every time UAC comes up, don't install pirated software or use keygens, don't install random pieces of freeware or trial products unless they come from a trusted source, don't let anyone else use your computer with administrator access. Following these simple steps is enough to protect against 98% of all possible attack vectors.

Windows 7 is architecturally much different than Windows XP. The days of rampant malware and viruses are gone.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough at warding off pieces of software that are up to no good and is very lightweight.


Thanks :D 
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 3:31:57 PM

What is your page file size?

Do u have a page file?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 3:39:56 PM

Can u post a screenshot of the process explorer?

Looks like this.

!