Sign in with
Your question

Raptor Alert

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2003 3:02:25 AM

Hey guys...

Just a heads up... I installed a raptor in my system today and although it performs amasing, it makes a high pitch whine just like many scsi drives. It's quite distracting. I have wrapped it in foam and it's harder to hear now but quite annoying...

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you were considering purchasing one...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

More about : raptor alert

April 28, 2003 4:12:41 AM

The high pitch whine is expected for a 10K RPM drive, but shouldn't the overall noise level be comparable to other 7200PRM drives due to its single-platter design?
April 28, 2003 5:08:23 AM

ah, u see, my d740x's are high pitched and loud too. The cool part is as they spin up, the sound is too high pitched for the human ear to hear:) 

Hilbert space is a big place.
Related resources
April 28, 2003 8:12:57 AM

Supposing to make some evaluation considering money, performances, capacity, data reliability and noise, what should be the conclusions ?
I made my calculation and I bought four IBM 180GXP 60GB and a Promise SX4000 controller to build a RAID 5 array.

Capacity of a 3+1 RAID 5 array: 184 GB
Noise: negligible
Performances: 110 MB/s (limited by the PCI bus on a Asus A7N8X Dlx) and overall performances well higher then SCSI Ultra 320 and consequently much higher than a Raptor.
Data reliability: RAID 5 allows to rebuild the array even if a hard disk fails. Hopefully only one a time.
Money: I spent 470 Euro.
The capacity is 5 times greater then of one WD raptor
I spend only 2.5 times the cost of a 36.7 GB WD Raptor.
The noise is absolutely lower then only one Raptor and allow me to work at home at night (the problems come from the even ultrasilent fans). The 60GB IBM has only one platter and is the most quiet between the lot of the 180GXP series.
The reliability allowed by the RAID 5 configuration, is probably comparable with the WD raptor.
On the same board I also have a built-in RAID chip from Sil. Image for SATA drives. I will not use it untill cheap and really fast drives will be available (RAID means also "inexpensive").
It needs also to consider that quite all motherboard have SATA RAID chip on board but it is not possible, on a 33MHz 32 bit PCI bus, to outpace 110÷120 MB/s due to the limitation of the bus. It should be necessary to go on a very expensive board with 64 bit 66 MHz PCI bus.
Consequently it is enough to have two drives with a trasfer rate of 60 MB/s on a RAID 0 array to fill the PCI bandwidth. Considering that such transfer rate is in the range of a 7200 rpm UATA drive, it is not yet convenient to buy a SATA drive at least until it will be possible to have a 100 MB/s SATA drive to connect to the main controller which will substitute the IDE controller.

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur
April 28, 2003 3:42:56 PM

Indeed I would agree that a raid configuration in this case is more desirable...

My motivation for the raptor is I am already using the raid funtion for my large hard disks I use for editing and serving... as such my local hard drive could either use regularide or sata... I chose the later due to the raptors advantage over standard ide drives...

Just wanted to let people know that the sound can be a bit anoying especially at first... A day after I think I can't hear it anymore ;) 

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
April 29, 2003 1:15:16 AM

haha, I spent $215 and got a raid 0 w/ 2 d740x
Read speed: 82 constant, with a high burst
In terms of reliability, I use the 120GB dmndmaxplus 9 I got for $80 for important stuff, and also as storage.
Total stroage space: 200GB.

April 29, 2003 2:21:19 AM

Hi Flame and Spitfire,

One side question. Are your D740X's too warm to touch? My 80GB D740X ball bearing version has this problem, and I'm kind of worry that its life might be shortened. I didn't install any HD cooling. Thanks for your input.
April 29, 2003 7:45:53 AM

I suggest you never install a 7200 rpm drive without cooling. It only needs a moderate air flow generated by a silent fan to lower the drive external case temperature of ten degrees Celtius. Without cooling the drive can easily reach its temperature limit which can shorten the life of the drive. You may install the drive behind the inlet air fan. Remember that you should cool both the top and the bottom drive case surface.

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur
April 29, 2003 9:14:53 AM

Thanks for the info.
April 29, 2003 2:08:40 PM

Hi elzt
I know you are a "old hand", sorry, but I have a 740x and it was always good for fried eggs before I installed a fan.
I was also worried for the high temperature, also because I use this drive for data archive (Maxtor should be very reliable).
If you are still able to touch it, very probably it still remains below the limit(60 °C), but very close.
I also installed a 740x on a computer of a friend of mine. Even if it is the only hard drive in a very simple configuration (one hard drive a CD rom drive and a burner), the temperature of the drive was so high that I was obliged to install a cooler. In that situation I used one of the well known hdd cooler which has to be mounted on the bottom of the drive.
However Maxtor recommends cooling only for SCSI hard drive (10k rpm and above):

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-k=&sp-a=sp1000b34b&s...
They say:
...environment (rack, cabinet, or drawer) for the hard disk drive must provide cooling of the electronics and head/ disk assembly (HDA). Although the hard...

I didn't find any official information about the need to install a hdd cooler.

...Ahhhh? , ok, ok ...I am turning off the computer.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by unoc on 04/29/03 10:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 30, 2003 1:04:05 AM

Ok, in my raid I have 1 d740x on top of the other, and they r warm, but certainly not very hot. I don't have any hdd cooling, and most agree that as long as u have some fans in ur case (ie not totally water cooled) so there is air flow, it's fine. For 10/15K rpm drives I'd reccomend cooling, but for 7.2K it's not necessary.

April 30, 2003 2:47:18 AM

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful.
April 30, 2003 3:03:22 AM

Yes, my D740X is very hot if I use it for few hours. PC Wizard XP shows that it's 79C to 81C! But my old Quantum Fireball lct08 (4500 or 5400 rpm, dual platter), and my firends' Maxtor D540X has similar heat problem if used for long time

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
!