Napoleonic Games

Hiya,

I've run across a couple of Napoleonic era wargames lately that
sound interesting but it's not really genre that I'm familiar with.
Soooo, I'm looking for some advice on what's good and what isn't.

Main priority for me would be a challenging AI, this isn't something
that I'd be playing multiplayer. Something with a strategic layer (as
opposed to a single battle) would be prefered.

Also, I've seen adds for Horse and Musket 2, I know it isn't out yet
but what's the buzz on this game?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rgds, Frank
7 answers Last reply
More about napoleonic games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Frank E wrote:
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've run across a couple of Napoleonic era wargames lately that
    > sound interesting but it's not really genre that I'm familiar with.
    > Soooo, I'm looking for some advice on what's good and what isn't.
    >
    > Main priority for me would be a challenging AI, this isn't something
    > that I'd be playing multiplayer. Something with a strategic layer (as
    > opposed to a single battle) would be prefered.
    >
    > Also, I've seen adds for Horse and Musket 2, I know it isn't out yet
    > but what's the buzz on this game?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,
    >
    > Rgds, Frank

    As far as I know, the Horse & Musket games cover 18th Century rather
    than Napoleonic battles. The HPS series of Napoleonic games (Eckmuhl
    1809, Russia 1812, Wagram 1809, Waterloo 1815) provide a (kind of)
    strategic layer, but it's more along the lines of you and your opponent
    (or the AI) having e.g. two choices in a situation. This may lead to any
    of four scenarios, depending on the combination of choices made.

    Matrix have produced a Campaigns on the Danube covering the 1809
    campaign against Austria, but is more operational and doesn't include a
    tactical element, although I believe it allows the option of resolving
    battles using the tactical engine (or tabletop) of your choice. As for
    even higher strategy, Matrix are also due to be releasing their version
    of the AH Empires in Arms sometime soon.

    If it's just an intoduction you're looking for, your best bet might be
    the new HPS Waterloo campaign title. I don't have it myself, and won't
    be buying it until HPS Napoleonic games become less of a rip-off, but
    you could do a lot worse, although your satisfaction level may drop the
    more you learn about the period.

    Hope this helps,

    Paul
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Paul Synnott wrote:
    > Frank E wrote:
    >
    >> Hiya,
    >> I've run across a couple of Napoleonic era wargames lately that
    >> sound interesting but it's not really genre that I'm familiar with.
    >> Soooo, I'm looking for some advice on what's good and what isn't.
    >> Main priority for me would be a challenging AI, this isn't something
    >> that I'd be playing multiplayer. Something with a strategic layer (as
    >> opposed to a single battle) would be prefered.
    >> Also, I've seen adds for Horse and Musket 2, I know it isn't out yet
    >> but what's the buzz on this game?
    >> Thanks in advance for any help,
    >> Rgds, Frank
    >>

    > As far as I know, the Horse & Musket games cover 18th Century rather
    > than Napoleonic battles. The HPS series of Napoleonic games (Eckmuhl
    > 1809, Russia 1812, Wagram 1809, Waterloo 1815) provide a (kind of)
    > strategic layer, but it's more along the lines of you and your opponent
    > (or the AI) having e.g. two choices in a situation. This may lead to any
    > of four scenarios, depending on the combination of choices made.
    >
    > Matrix have produced a Campaigns on the Danube covering the 1809
    > campaign against Austria, but is more operational and doesn't include a
    > tactical element, although I believe it allows the option of resolving
    > battles using the tactical engine (or tabletop) of your choice. As for
    > even higher strategy, Matrix are also due to be releasing their version
    > of the AH Empires in Arms sometime soon.
    >
    > If it's just an intoduction you're looking for, your best bet might be
    > the new HPS Waterloo campaign title. I don't have it myself, and won't
    > be buying it until HPS Napoleonic games become less of a rip-off, but
    > you could do a lot worse, although your satisfaction level may drop the
    > more you learn about the period.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Paul

    I should have that the HPS Napoleonic AI leaves a lot to be desired. It
    relies on AI scripts created by the scenario designer. The Battles of
    Napoleon AI will be similar, but it looks like the AI scripting here
    will be more detailed and potentially much more powerful, given a
    competent designer.

    Paul
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:16:35 +0100, Paul Synnott
    <holditREMOVE@THEindigoCAPS.ie> wrote:

    >I should have that the HPS Napoleonic AI leaves a lot to be desired. It
    >relies on AI scripts created by the scenario designer. The Battles of
    >Napoleon AI will be similar, but it looks like the AI scripting here
    >will be more detailed and potentially much more powerful, given a
    >competent designer.

    Thanks for all the info. I'd need some serious convincing that the AI
    isn't braindead before buying a HPS title and from what I gather this
    one doesn't qualify.

    I'll probably either take a chance on CotD or just wait on H&M2. The
    time frame might not be exactly what I'm looking for but close enough.
    I need a change of pace from the WW2/modern era.

    Rgds, Frank
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:45:41 -0400, Giftzwerg
    <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >In article <iQppe.827$R5.259@news.indigo.ie>,
    >holditREMOVE@THEindigoCAPS.ie says...
    >
    >> Matrix have produced a Campaigns on the Danube covering the 1809
    >> campaign against Austria, but is more operational and doesn't include a
    >> tactical element, although I believe it allows the option of resolving
    >> battles using the tactical engine (or tabletop) of your choice.
    >
    >I would avoid CotD *unless* you have a third-party tactical engine in
    >mind; an operational 19th century game without anything but an
    >abstracted method of battle resolution is kinda like owning the leash
    >but not the puppy.

    If the strategic layer is good enough, I could live without having a
    tactical engine. I haven't really seen a tactical engine for that era
    that I enjoyed since the old C-64 days. An old SSI game, I forget the
    name. Admittedly, it's not a time period that I keep up with.

    Rgds, Frank
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > I'll probably either take a chance on CotD or just wait on H&M2. The
    > time frame might not be exactly what I'm looking for but close enough.
    > I need a change of pace from the WW2/modern era.
    >
    > Rgds, Frank

    CotD has a nice system. It's biggest problem is a total lack of
    scenarios.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    Y'know...A lot of times they spend more money on the
    cover for a good author. My favorite author has the
    best covers this side of The South Pole.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Frank I am the graphics designer for the H&M2 games. I can say we
    don't use any scripted AI in our games and the AI is a good opponent.
    By the way when you say you're waiting for H&M2 I assume you mean
    Prussia's Glory?

    /Magnus

    Frank E <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<pwinQmafkIPGzgx+kD159pl0BSC5@4ax.com>...
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:16:35 +0100, Paul Synnott
    > <holditREMOVE@THEindigoCAPS.ie> wrote:
    >

    > >I should have that the HPS Napoleonic AI leaves a lot to be desired. It
    > >relies on AI scripts created by the scenario designer. The Battles of
    > >Napoleon AI will be similar, but it looks like the AI scripting here
    > >will be more detailed and potentially much more powerful, given a
    > >competent designer.
    >
    > Thanks for all the info. I'd need some serious convincing that the AI
    > isn't braindead before buying a HPS title and from what I gather this
    > one doesn't qualify.
    >
    > I'll probably either take a chance on CotD or just wait on H&M2. The
    > time frame might not be exactly what I'm looking for but close enough.
    > I need a change of pace from the WW2/modern era.
    >
    > Rgds, Frank
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On 8 Jun 2005 21:15:45 -0700, pettersson72@hotmail.com (Magnus) wrote:

    >Frank I am the graphics designer for the H&M2 games. I can say we
    >don't use any scripted AI in our games and the AI is a good opponent.

    Good to hear about the AI. That subject is usually at the top of my
    list on things to look for in a wargame.

    >By the way when you say you're waiting for H&M2 I assume you mean
    >Prussia's Glory?

    Yes, I think that's the name. I just happened to run across an add for
    it last time I checked the Dominion forums at the Matrix site. Never
    got around to trying the original.

    Rgds, Frank

PC gaming Games Video Games