COTA Sneak Peak

Hi all, we've just released a new build to our beta testers ( #100 )
and I've posted some screen shots of the enhanced Side and Force Data
tab views ( from the Side Bar ) plus our new Display Tool Bar. Check em
out using the above link.

We've just added another screenshot showing our new message log,
message filters and air strike timings.

Arjuna schreef:
> We've just added another screenshot showing our new message log,
> message filters and air strike timings.

Full explanation in :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=123

It's in the "sneak preview" thread - last message

But if you just want to look at the pretty picture :
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=895950&mpage=5#

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Gifty,

Very soon now. I'm just one major function away from wrapping up the
new Force Allocation code for Plans. Then I will have finished all the
new AI features for COTA. Adam is also nearly finished the remaining
new interface features. We hope to get out our first full beat release
next week. We've got to then update some of the data in the estabs and
scenarios, make some mods to the manual to reflect the new features and
mop-up whatever bugs get reported. With a bit of luck we'll start the
process of issuing final candidates within the month.

I might add it's been a tough haul these last few months but it was all
made worth while this afternoon when I finally got my new
AllocateForcesToPlans() working. Bloody brilliant if I dare say so
myself. No more shuffling of the deck chairs. Previously in allocating
forces we only went one level down - eg for a Bde we would allocate
entire Bns at a time. Now every unit is managed as an individual
resource, which makes for much better distribution. We also use a lot
more "smarts" in determining the suitabilities. I have also rewritten
the code that culls objectives by victory. I have yet to extensively
test this but this should make the strategic AI a lot smarter. That and
the new CullSequentialPlans() I hope to write on Monday. This hopefully
will do a lot better job of filtering out objectives which should be
phased or done in sequence.

I'm very happy with the results so far. :))

In article <1120810691.582967.128440@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dave@panthergames.com says...

> We've just added another screenshot showing our new message log,
> message filters and air strike timings.

Hmmmm. When are you boys going to sell us a little steak to go with all
this sizzle?

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <1120829420.641440.145480@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dave@panthergames.com says...

> I'm just one major function away from wrapping up the
> new Force Allocation code for Plans. Then I will have finished all the
> new AI features for COTA. Adam is also nearly finished the remaining
> new interface features. We hope to get out our first full beat release
> next week. We've got to then update some of the data in the estabs and
> scenarios, make some mods to the manual to reflect the new features and
> mop-up whatever bugs get reported. With a bit of luck we'll start the
> process of issuing final candidates within the month.

Another month!?!?!

I knew I shoulda sent you guys that pallet of Jolt Cola.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Do you realize how hard it is to find decent jihad recruits when you're
taking fire from infidels and Iraqis? Cripes, you should have seen the
collection of numbnuts and droolers on the short bus from Saudi
yesterday. Good Allah, I swear the only way we're ever gonna turn these
morons into martyrs is to plant detonation buttons inside their
nostrils."
- Abu Musab al-Zarkawi (via Iowahawk)

OK thanks for the interlude Gifty/Ray but the rest of use here have
work to do.

Our interface programmer Adam "skirmish" Bryant ( not of Mad Minute
Games fame ) has just posted some more screenshots showing the
interface for modding the scenario victory messages. Check them out and
yes before anyone comments Adam does display a certain irreverence to
the what we all know should be a very serious past time. Enjoy.

We've been pretty busy this last week...on a roll! Check out the new
screen dumps showing off the new Message List, message filters, range
rings and air strike timings. 8D

Also under the hood we've finished off the new Force Allocation AI.
This will need more testing but so far I am very pleased with the
results. The strategic AI is smarter now as it ranks and culls
objectives on a whole swag of factors including victory points
remaining, time of game, range differential ( ie range to nearest
friendly/enemy ), known local enemy combat power and overall force
ratio. It also culls sequential plans making it concentrate more on
nearby objectives rather dissapating its forces seeking to achieve
those long range objectives.

The force allocation is much smarter too. Each objective type has its
own special requirements ( eg Construct Bridge requires some
engineering units with at least one bridge ) which the AI attempts to
meet. It determines suitabilities on a wide range of factors and load
balances the allocations to achieve optimum results. This should give
you guys a run for your money. :)