Putting 4 gigs of ram to use

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I am running windows 7 with a AMD X2 5600+ 4 GB DDR 800 and a 9800GT EE I am running windows 7 right now with 1300mb in use and 2700 free, around that. Anyway I was wondering if there is a way to speed things up by using more memory, would disabling virtual memory help? These might be stupid questions but they are worth asking for me but not someone smarter. Anyway I would like to be able to have the operating system use more ram and be able to run games better. I am running 64 bit.

If anyone has any negative comments about my system please hold off because I am excited with how cheap I put this system together, I know it's not up to date but I can put it to some good use.

Thanks

Solution
Your system will use what it needs, when it needs it. The page file or virtual memory trick is one that people hear about, but it is really something from days gone by.

For instance, at one time, 513K was considered a lot of memory. Memory was hugely expensive. Your virtual memory, or swap file was important, because Windows would have to use it almost constantly. If you were lucky enough to be wealthy, and you could afford to fill your system up with a couple gig of memory, then turning off the swap file, or setting to like 4meg would help. (you do not want to turn it off completely, it can cause other problems, we would just set it to a bare minimum) This would ensure that earlier versions of Windows used the main memory, and never...
The free memory is automatically put to use by Windows for caching disk requests.

It's possible to disable the pagefile by setting it to 0 size on all disks, that will force the system not to page out stuff in memory. But if you do this be careful that your peak memory usage never exceeds your RAM size, otherwise the system will likely freeze if it runs out of memory.

Your system will use what it needs, when it needs it. The page file or virtual memory trick is one that people hear about, but it is really something from days gone by.

For instance, at one time, 513K was considered a lot of memory. Memory was hugely expensive. Your virtual memory, or swap file was important, because Windows would have to use it almost constantly. If you were lucky enough to be wealthy, and you could afford to fill your system up with a couple gig of memory, then turning off the swap file, or setting to like 4meg would help. (you do not want to turn it off completely, it can cause other problems, we would just set it to a bare minimum) This would ensure that earlier versions of Windows used the main memory, and never cached stuff to the drive. But as I said, this was years ago.
But today, memory is cheap, and your OS handles memory usage much better.
If you are running Windows 7, I would highly suggest you just let Windows handle your virtual memory, and leave it alone.

Solution