Configuration Help Needed.. pls

Ryan_Pearce

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
I'm looking into building myself a computer and I was wondering if these componants would work good together...

Soltek 75FRN2-L (nForce2 /w sound *no video*)
AMD Athlon 2200+ Retail /w Volcano 9
Antec SX1040 Case /w 400w PS
LG GCC-4480B 48x24x48 CD/RW + DVD combo
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40GB 7200rpm ATA133

I also have no idea what type of ram to get for this system... I'm thinking of PC2700 or PC3200 but what kind? CAS2? CAS3? ECC? what the hell does all that mean....

I've got a GForce4 Ti4400 /w 128mb that I'm going to throw in there and a 10/100 mbs network card...

Any advice? Anything I should change for better performance or cheaper cost? (I'm on a budget).

Thanks in advance.

- Ryan

I believe that M/B comes with onboard Lan, that should be what the -L means, everything looks good, Cas2 is the fastest of the RAMs you listed, with a dual DDR M/B and on a budget you'll need two matched sticks of RAM, some people don't use the matched pairs, because they're more expensive, and end up with trouble, but thats up to you, you're the one spending the money. You don't need ECC unless the M/B requires it, if it doesn't require it don't worry with it. I'm running Corsair RAM but Kingston is high quality and cheaper, I definitely reccommend the matched RAM.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>