What device to switch between monitors?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2005 5:18:00 PM

I've installed a set of Dynaudio BM6a's in my studio but their not as
powerful as my old JBLs. I've decided to keep them both but am looking for a
switch so I can easily go between listening to either set of speakers. I'm
in Ireland so if there are any stores this side of the pond that you know of
that may have what I'm looking for then let me know.

I did see a HOSA model but at ?115 (about $150) I thought it was a bit steep
for a metal box with a switch in it.

regards,

Martin

More about : device switch monitors

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2005 5:18:01 PM

Since it's just as you said (a metal box with a switch in it). Why not
build one yourself?

Martin Quinn wrote:
> I've installed a set of Dynaudio BM6a's in my studio but their not as
> powerful as my old JBLs. I've decided to keep them both but am looking for a
> switch so I can easily go between listening to either set of speakers. I'm
> in Ireland so if there are any stores this side of the pond that you know of
> that may have what I'm looking for then let me know.
>
> I did see a HOSA model but at ?115 (about $150) I thought it was a bit steep
> for a metal box with a switch in it.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2005 5:18:01 PM

Try the Mackie BigKnob; it is not just a monitor switcher but you might
find it useful
http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/

Regards,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

%
a b C Monitor
March 29, 2005 5:18:01 PM

In article <6Ib2e.50511$Z14.38486@news.indigo.ie> mquinn@eircom.net writes:

> I've installed a set of Dynaudio BM6a's in my studio but their not as
> powerful as my old JBLs. I've decided to keep them both but am looking for a
> switch so I can easily go between listening to either set of speakers.

This question seems to come up at least weekly here. Why not do a
little research before you repeat the cycle?

The usual suggestions are:

- Build one if you think it's that simple (it can be)
- Buy one of the many commercial devices that do what you want,
with a range of other useful/useless features, ranging from under
$20 second-hand at auction to close to $3,000.

One of the features that come along with some of the fancier units is
the ability to balance the volume level between speakers so that you
don't hear a volume change when you switch between them. It's useful
if you're using powered speakers without individual volume controls. A
master volume control and dim or mute switch can also be useful.

a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 3:36:34 PM

> - Buy one of the many commercial devices that do what you want,
> with a range of other useful/useless features, ranging from under
> $20 second-hand at auction to close to $3,000.

And the names of the many commercial devices are .......
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 3:36:35 PM

In article <Tiv2e.50573$Z14.38645@news.indigo.ie> mquinn@eircom.net writes:

> > - Buy one of the many commercial devices that do what you want,
> > with a range of other useful/useless features, ranging from under
> > $20 second-hand at auction to close to $3,000.
>
> And the names of the many commercial devices are .......

Radio Shack 42-2112 (vintage, no longer made) $15
Samson C-Control $99
Presonus Central Station $500
Crane Song Avocet $2800

Of course there's absolutely no difference and none of them will
affect your sound. :p

a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 4:10:55 PM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote:

> And the names of the many commercial devices are .......

Geez Marty, you want someone to come over and hook it up for you too?
<g>

Coleman and Furman spring to mind. Also Niles and Switchcraft. Maybe
ATI?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2005 4:32:31 AM

I wasn't being smart guys.

If you search for Monitor or Switch on the Net (or even in RAP) you either
get someone trying to sell you Genelecs or lightsitches Thats why I was
after the names in particular. I've tried looking.... honestly

Thanks for those leads. I'll look em all up

Martin

"Lorin David Schultz" <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote in message
> "Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote:
> >
> > And the names of the many commercial devices are .......
>

> Geez Marty, you want someone to come over and hook it up for you too?
> <g>
>
> Coleman and Furman spring to mind. Also Niles and Switchcraft. Maybe
> ATI?
>
> --
> "It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
> - Lorin David Schultz
> in the control room
> making even bad news sound good
>
> (Remove spamblock to reply)