Which portable digital recorder?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 29, 2005 9:13:56 AM

Rather than continue to struggle with a M-box and Protools for my
Powerbook, I'm considering recording directly into a small, portable
digital recorder, then importing the audio into Peak, or something
similar.

All I have to record on a regular basis is one or two mic inputs. Never
more than two tracks, usually only one. I'd prefer to continue to use my
trusty U87 or similar.

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Gecko
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:20:34 PM

In article <geck-D60E2A.23135628032005@newssvr30-ext.news.prodigy.com> geck@nomac.com writes:

> Rather than continue to struggle with a M-box and Protools for my
> Powerbook, I'm considering recording directly into a small, portable
> digital recorder

> All I have to record on a regular basis is one or two mic inputs. Never
> more than two tracks, usually only one. I'd prefer to continue to use my
> trusty U87 or similar.

How good do you want it to be and how much are you expecting to spend.
For about the cost of a laptop computer and audio input device with
phantom powered mic preamps, you can buy a few different recorders
that will suit your needs. Look at Sound Devices, Fostex, Marantz, and
maybe Edirol (if the R4 is shipping yet). Recording media varies -
internal hard disk, flash memory, or disk-on-a-card. All provide some
means of transferring recordings as data through either neo-sneaker-net
(remove the memory card from the recorder and plug it into a card
reader on the computer) or some network-like file transfer function
via Firewire, Ethernet, or USB.

If you had hoped to pay less, you won't get Phantom power or XLR
inputs, so this would require another box to carry and hook up, and
you'll be connecting it to an unreliable mini phone jack on the
recorder.

March 29, 2005 2:43:09 PM

Richard Gecko wrote:

> All I have to record on a regular basis is one or two mic inputs. Never
> more than two tracks, usually only one. I'd prefer to continue to use my
> trusty U87 or similar.

Your U87 is worthy of a great preamp. That tells me you might benefit
from a Sound Devices 722.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:37:22 PM

Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com> wrote:

>All I have to record on a regular basis is one or two mic inputs. Never
>more than two tracks, usually only one. I'd prefer to continue to use my
>trusty U87 or similar.
>
>I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

You might consider our PDAudio system. It's a handheld, two-track,
24/196 (or even 192) recorder that records to flash memory and sells for
under $1000 (or under $500 if you can provide a digital audio input).

Please see our Web site for details:

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
!