mp3 player with good recording capabilities

Last response: in Home Audio
March 29, 2005 1:56:10 PM

Hi,

can you recommend a portable device with good recording capabilities?
There are two intended purposes:

- listening while jogging
- recording of natural sounds in good quality

Some requirements are:

- should be able to play MP3s
- should be shock tolerant, no drive
- should be able to record CD quality without losses (44k 16bit stereo WAV, not MP3)
- microphone input would be nice, but is not required; line in will do it

Thank's for your advice.

Cheers
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:19:41 PM

I've been looking for the exact same thing for a while now, the new Sony
Hi-MD players fits this bill perfectly. Although you might point out that
minidisc's are technically read by a drive, IME the amount of shock required
to make them skip would probably damage the case/electronics first. I would
recommend getting the MZ-NH900 from amazon.co.uk for 70 pounds, shipped only
within the UK. Have a friend or escrow service in the UK then ship it to
you. Yes it's a pain, but will save you about 50%. Good luck!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Fritjof Mitschke" <fmisch123@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> can you recommend a portable device with good recording capabilities?
> There are two intended purposes:
>
> - listening while jogging
> - recording of natural sounds in good quality
>
> Some requirements are:
>
> - should be able to play MP3s
> - should be shock tolerant, no drive
> - should be able to record CD quality without losses (44k 16bit stereo
WAV, not MP3)
> - microphone input would be nice, but is not required; line in will do it
>
> Thank's for your advice.
>
> Cheers
March 29, 2005 6:58:27 PM

On 3/29/2005 11:56 AM, Fritjof Mitschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you recommend a portable device with good recording capabilities?
> There are two intended purposes:
>
> - listening while jogging
> - recording of natural sounds in good quality
>
> Some requirements are:
>
> - should be able to play MP3s
> - should be shock tolerant, no drive
> - should be able to record CD quality without losses (44k 16bit stereo WAV, not MP3)
> - microphone input would be nice, but is not required; line in will do it
>
> Thank's for your advice.
>
> Cheers

Check out iRiver's flash players.
March 29, 2005 11:14:35 PM

In article <ff355c82.0503290956.6004987a@posting.google.com> fmisch123@freenet.de writes:

> - should be able to play MP3s
> - should be shock tolerant, no drive
> - should be able to record CD quality without losses (44k 16bit stereo WAV, not
> MP3)
> - microphone input would be nice, but is not required; line in will do it

How about an Edirol R1? But understand that when recording
uncompressed WAV files, you'll eat up solid state memory pretty
quickly. It's not THAT cheap yet.

March 30, 2005 8:25:08 PM

check out i-River players.

I've got the h320 and love it.