Presonus Firepod Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am in the process of determine which soundcard/interface I am going
to purchase for my home studio and had a few questions about the Firepod
and was wondering if any Firepod users may be able to help me out.

1) Are all of the outputs and the inputs on the Firepod balanced? The
online manual specifically mentionted that instrument lines 1 and 2 can
accept balanced inputs, but I don't see anything about the other inputs
or the outputs.

2) In regards to the software mixer/driver that comes with the Firepod,
can I pan each input and output and save those settings within the
mixer/driver? I plan on mostly doing stereo recording (keyboards) and
playback and would like to save those setting within the mixer/driver as
opposed to needing to adjust the pans from within Sonar for each project
(i.e. I will probably just dedicate say inputs 3&4 to one keyboard, etc).

3) I noticed that the Firepod uses the older Firewire specs of 400mbps,
not too excited about that. Why aren't there many Firewire2 (800mbps)
interfaces out there?

4) I plan on purchasing a Firewire card for the Firepod, anyone
recommend a particular brand of Firewire card and/or a particular
chipset for the Firepod?

5) I also read some older newsgroup items about the ASIO drivers of the
Firepod not be recognized by Sonar. I have Sonar 2.2, is this still an
issue or has that been resolved by now?

6) Again, an older post mentioned that direct monitoring wasn't
available on the Firepod, however, the post mentioned that the company
was working on it. Still an issue? I would want to be able direct any of
the inputs to any of the outputs. The manual sort of skips over a lot of
issues like this, which makes me nervous, especially when I compared it
to the manual of the delta 1010 which covers all sorts of hook ups and
info. I also want to be able to use Sonar's input monitoring so that if
I plug a guitar in, I can use effects in Sonar and have the Firepod
output the guitar with the effects. The Firepod's latency is low enough
that this shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks,
Andrew V. Romero

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

#3) I had the same question and was told by both Sweetwater and Presonus
the speed is not really an issue. "... ProTools works fine with M-Box
USB...".

#4) Prosonus tech support said DO NOT use firewire combo card (with USB
or Firewire2/800) Use only Firewire1 (1,2 or 3 outs OK). It should have
Intel chipset. He recommended Adaptec. I'm using the 4300 with no
problems.