Problems calling 800 number

I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from the
state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that i
was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone number.......
29 answers Last reply
More about problems calling number

    Phillip Devoll wrote:

    > I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from the
    > state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    > number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that i
    > was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone number.......

    Huh?

    Try throwing a period in, at the end of your sentences, and maybe
    your post would be a bit more coherent!

    Notan

    Phillip Devoll wrote:
    > I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from the
    > state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    > number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that i
    > was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone number.......

    well, what's your cell phone's area code? 702, or 775? :)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote:

    >I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from the
    >state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    >number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that i
    >was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone number.......

    1. Call from your home phone (assuming it's in CA)
    2. Call the firm's non toll free number.
    3. Move

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:47:46 -0500, Jack S. <Jack@nospam.com> wrote:

    >"Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote:
    >
    >>I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from the
    >>state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    >>number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that i
    >>was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone number.......
    >
    >1. Call from your home phone (assuming it's in CA)
    >2. Call the firm's non toll free number.
    >3. Move

    Call from a pay phone.

    My area code is 530.
    > Phillip Devoll wrote:
    > > I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from
    the
    > > state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    > > number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that
    > > was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone
    number.......

    > well, what's your cell phone's area code? 702, or 775? :)
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Hey thanx
    First no home number ....
    Second do not know the non 800 number
    Third get a life.....
    "Jack S." <Jack@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote:
    >
    > >I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from
    the
    > >state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    > >number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that
    > >was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone
    number.......

    > 1. Call from your home phone (assuming it's in CA)
    > 2. Call the firm's non toll free number.
    > 3. Move

    I have a cell phone so i do not have to find a pay phone...

    Phillip Devoll wrote:
    > My area code is 530.

    How is Sprint PCS "giving your number as a nevada phone number" if you have a
    California area code?

    I don't quite get it. Usually, phone systems that personalize menus and
    services by phone number read your Caller ID or ANI info. Both would pass
    530-xxx-xxxx as your phone number. Nevada's only area codes are 702 and 775; if
    your cell phone number is in one of those area codes, it's a Nevada number. If
    your cell phone number is in AC 530, it's a California number.

    You're saying your cell phone number is in 530, right?

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Area code 530 is in northern California. I don't see how that
    could be construed as a Nevada number.

    --
    John Richards

    "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote in message news:89Dbe.8401$J12.710@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
    > My area code is 530.
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> Phillip Devoll wrote:
    >> > I have had problems when i call 800 number that require that i call from
    > the
    >> > state that i live in for example i wanted to call comcast and their 800
    >> > number required that i live in california and sprint pcs was saying that
    >> > was calling from nevada by giving my number as a nevada phone
    > number.......
    >>
    >> well, what's your cell phone's area code? 702, or 775? :)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:14:58 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Phillip Devoll wrote:
    >> My area code is 530.
    >
    >How is Sprint PCS "giving your number as a nevada phone number" if you have a
    >California area code?
    >
    >I don't quite get it. Usually, phone systems that personalize menus and
    >services by phone number read your Caller ID or ANI info. Both would pass
    >530-xxx-xxxx as your phone number. Nevada's only area codes are 702 and 775; if
    >your cell phone number is in one of those area codes, it's a Nevada number. If
    >your cell phone number is in AC 530, it's a California number.
    >
    >You're saying your cell phone number is in 530, right?

    I don't quite get it, either, but now that I read back through the
    thread I see that this is very similar to what happened on my account
    awhile back, too. I was living in Missouri and had an 816 number, but
    when I called any of my credit card companies, mortgage company, etc.,
    I always had to answer more than a few questions in order to establish
    my identity, and when I called from home the number of questions was
    much lower, usually just one. So I started asking my CC CSR's to add
    my PCS number to my CC account to help them recognize me, and that's
    when it became obvious that the number that came up on their screens
    was NOT my number. The only part that matched in my case was the 816
    Area Code. Dialing the number that showed up gave a "This number is
    not in service" message. I tried several times to report it to SPCS
    and get it corrected, but was never successful. About 10-11 months
    later, I moved out of Missouri and haven't had the problem since
    setting up my account at the new place.

    My theory is that the wrong CSA code was entered during account setup,
    but I was not able to confirm it. BTW, SPCS has an ANI number you can
    use to see what the system thinks your number is, but I'm not sure
    it's public knowledge so I'll let someone else provide it.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...

    "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
    > Area code 530 is in northern California. I don't see how that
    > could be construed as a Nevada number.
    >
    > --
    > John Richards
    >

    > "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote in message
    >> My area code is 530.
    >> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> the
    >> number.......
    >>>
    >>> well, what's your cell phone's area code? 702, or 775? :)

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Yes I am saying that I have a 530 area code but I have been told that I am
    dialing front a Nevada phone number according to their caller id..
    > Phillip Devoll wrote:
    >> My area code is 530.
    >
    > How is Sprint PCS "giving your number as a nevada phone number" if you
    > have a California area code?
    >
    > I don't quite get it. Usually, phone systems that personalize menus and
    > services by phone number read your Caller ID or ANI info. Both would pass
    > 530-xxx-xxxx as your phone number. Nevada's only area codes are 702 and
    > 775; if your cell phone number is in one of those area codes, it's a
    > Nevada number. If your cell phone number is in AC 530, it's a California
    > number.
    >
    > You're saying your cell phone number is in 530, right?
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Sound like my problem, that is why I filled a complaint with the fcc and
    sprint pcs regulatory division is calling me tomorrow.......
    I already know it is a problem with their switch in lasvega Nevada
    "Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:14:58 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Phillip Devoll wrote:
    >>> My area code is 530.
    >>
    >>How is Sprint PCS "giving your number as a nevada phone number" if you
    >>have a
    >>California area code?
    >>
    >>I don't quite get it. Usually, phone systems that personalize menus and
    >>services by phone number read your Caller ID or ANI info. Both would pass
    >>530-xxx-xxxx as your phone number. Nevada's only area codes are 702 and
    >>775; if
    >>your cell phone number is in one of those area codes, it's a Nevada
    >>number. If
    >>your cell phone number is in AC 530, it's a California number.
    >>
    >>You're saying your cell phone number is in 530, right?
    >
    > I don't quite get it, either, but now that I read back through the
    > thread I see that this is very similar to what happened on my account
    > awhile back, too. I was living in Missouri and had an 816 number, but
    > when I called any of my credit card companies, mortgage company, etc.,
    > I always had to answer more than a few questions in order to establish
    > my identity, and when I called from home the number of questions was
    > much lower, usually just one. So I started asking my CC CSR's to add
    > my PCS number to my CC account to help them recognize me, and that's
    > when it became obvious that the number that came up on their screens
    > was NOT my number. The only part that matched in my case was the 816
    > Area Code. Dialing the number that showed up gave a "This number is
    > not in service" message. I tried several times to report it to SPCS
    > and get it corrected, but was never successful. About 10-11 months
    > later, I moved out of Missouri and haven't had the problem since
    > setting up my account at the new place.
    >
    > My theory is that the wrong CSA code was entered during account setup,
    > but I was not able to confirm it. BTW, SPCS has an ANI number you can
    > use to see what the system thinks your number is, but I'm not sure
    > it's public knowledge so I'll let someone else provide it.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Phillip wrote:

    > Yes I am saying that I have a 530 area code but I have been told that I am
    > dialing front a Nevada phone number according to their caller id..

    Are you, by chance, on any type of pre-paid plan?

    Notan
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Phillip wrote:
    > I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    > Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...

    Then they're not only idiots, but lazy. It's not hard to look up which state an
    area code is in. You could probably even do it via google.

    702 and 775 are the only area codes in Nevada. 702 is Greater Las Vegas. 775 is
    everywhere else in the state.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Phillip wrote:
    >> I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >> Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >
    > Then they're not only idiots, but lazy. It's not hard to look up which
    > state an area code is in. You could probably even do it via google.

    From Google: http://www.computerhope.com/areacode.htm

    Tread lightly around Luddites!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...

    "people" obviously don't understand the North American Dialing lan as
    written. Area Codes are assigned by geographic area and do no over lap state
    boundries. Looking up the 530 area code it is a California Area Code.

    Why is this a discussion anyway?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message news:LYXde.934$X21.352@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    >I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    > Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...

    Ask them to read back the number as displayed on their caller ID.
    Are they seeing 530-XXX-XXXX?

    --
    John Richards
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message news:ID4ee.5438$HL2.1197@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

    > "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >>Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >
    > "people" obviously don't understand the North American Dialing lan as
    > written. Area Codes are assigned by geographic area and do no over lap state
    > boundries. Looking up the 530 area code it is a California Area Code.
    >
    > Why is this a discussion anyway?

    Is it possible that Sprint's hardware is sending out the wrong ANI for him,
    eventhough the caller ID string is correct?

    --
    John Richards
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 14:41:59 GMT, "John Richards"
    <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

    >"John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message news:ID4ee.5438$HL2.1197@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >>
    >> "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >>>Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >>
    >> "people" obviously don't understand the North American Dialing lan as
    >> written. Area Codes are assigned by geographic area and do no over lap state
    >> boundries. Looking up the 530 area code it is a California Area Code.
    >>
    >> Why is this a discussion anyway?
    >
    >Is it possible that Sprint's hardware is sending out the wrong ANI for him,
    >eventhough the caller ID string is correct?

    Yes, but it's rare, which is why the folks participating in this
    thread are having a hard time accepting it.

    --
    Paul Miner
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:07:07 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Phillip wrote:
    >> I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >> Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >
    >Then they're not only idiots, but lazy. It's not hard to look up which state an
    >area code is in. You could probably even do it via google.
    >
    >702 and 775 are the only area codes in Nevada. 702 is Greater Las Vegas. 775 is
    >everywhere else in the state.

    I don't think he's saying that people don't know where certain area
    codes are from. He's saying that people are reading "his" area code
    back to him, and it's not correct. The "lazy" and "idiot" tags might
    not be fair.

    --
    Paul Miner
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message news:r8oh71d1ddndmejpn2o5nf847ipgaun6on@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:07:07 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Phillip wrote:
    >>> I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >>> Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >>
    >>Then they're not only idiots, but lazy. It's not hard to look up which state an
    >>area code is in. You could probably even do it via google.
    >>
    >>702 and 775 are the only area codes in Nevada. 702 is Greater Las Vegas. 775 is
    >>everywhere else in the state.
    >
    > I don't think he's saying that people don't know where certain area
    > codes are from. He's saying that people are reading "his" area code
    > back to him, and it's not correct.

    Yeah, that's why I asked him to get these called people to read back
    to him exactly what they're seeing. So far he hasn't revealed the exact
    (supposedly Nevada) area code.

    --
    John Richards
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    > > Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >
    > Ask them to read back the number as displayed on their caller ID.
    > Are they seeing 530-XXX-XXXX?
    >
    > --
    > John Richards

    Sometime no they read backa nevada phone number
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Phillip wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes I am saying that I have a 530 area code but I have been told that I
    am
    > > dialing front a Nevada phone number according to their caller id..
    >
    > Are you, by chance, on any type of pre-paid plan?
    >
    > Notan

    No I am noton a pre paid plan....
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote in message news:b6Oee.13731$J12.2832@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

    > "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have talked to people and they say my phone number is from the state of
    >> > Nevada.... when my phone number is in the 530 are code...
    >>
    >> Ask them to read back the number as displayed on their caller ID.
    >> Are they seeing 530-XXX-XXXX?
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Richards
    >>
    > Sometime no they read backa nevada phone number

    This does sound like a problem with Sprint's ANI system. ANI is
    used to deliver the caller's phone number to toll-free destinations.

    --
    John Richards
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    it was a Reno Nevada phone number
    > "Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:07:07 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Then they're not only idiots, but lazy. It's not hard to look up which
    >>>state an area code is in. You could probably even do it via google.
    >>>
    >>>702 and 775 are the only area codes in Nevada. 702 is Greater Las Vegas.
    >>>775 is everywhere else in the state.
    >>
    >> I don't think he's saying that people don't know where certain area
    >> codes are from. He's saying that people are reading "his" area code
    >> back to him, and it's not correct.
    >
    > Yeah, that's why I asked him to get these called people to read back
    > to him exactly what they're seeing. So far he hasn't revealed the exact
    > (supposedly Nevada) area code.
    >
    > --
    > John Richards
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    it is not only 800 phone numbers some none 800 phone numbers.....

    > "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Ask them to read back the number as displayed on their caller ID.
    >>> Are they seeing 530-XXX-XXXX?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> John Richards
    >>>
    >> Sometime no they read backa nevada phone number
    >
    > This does sound like a problem with Sprint's ANI system. ANI is used to
    > deliver the caller's phone number to toll-free destinations.
    >
    > --
    > John Richards

  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Phillip wrote:

    > it is not only 800 phone numbers some none 800 phone numbers.....
    >
    > <snip>

    Huh?

    Notan
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Although toll-free calling is the most common use for ANI, it
    is also used by 911, and many commercial services.

    --
    John Richards

    "Phillip" <phillipdevoll@comcast.net> wrote in message news:AW5ge.15192$J12.7444@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
    > it is not only 800 phone numbers some none 800 phone numbers.....
    >

    > "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Phillip Devoll" <phillip@devoll.org> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> Sometime no they read backa nevada phone number
    >>
    >> This does sound like a problem with Sprint's ANI system. ANI is used to
    >> deliver the caller's phone number to toll-free destinations.

Sprint PCS Nevada Internet Service Providers