The right speakers for empty floor wedges?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 6:44:27 AM

Problem with owning a club and being a musician as well is that you want to
provide good sound for the bands while knowing you can't afford to get what
you really want. So you compromise.

Right now the singers are begging for floor monitors. On such a small stage,
3 feet away from each other and the 1st row, I don't really like the idea of
monitors, but I need to respect people who can't hear (or sing) over the
guitar amps. I'll need something small with narrow coverage for vocalists,
the piano, and the drummer. Everything I like is too expensive (Meyer,
Turbosound, JBL), so I figure I have to just build it. I can easily build a
couple wedges, but want to ask you guys what am I looking for in the way of
drivers? 2 way? Horns? Any old generic PA speakers? Anything special to look
out for before I go DIY? Are there any special construction or
characteristics of floor monitor speakers?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 6:44:28 AM

"George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> offpeak808 wrote:
>> Problem with owning a club and being a musician as well is that you
>> want to provide good sound for the bands while knowing you can't
>> afford to get what you really want. So you compromise.
>>
>> Right now the singers are begging for floor monitors. On such a
>> small stage, 3 feet away from each other and the 1st row, I don't
>> really like the idea of monitors, but I need to respect people who
>> can't hear (or sing) over the guitar amps. I'll need something
small
>> with narrow coverage for vocalists, the piano, and the drummer.
>> Everything I like is too expensive (Meyer, Turbosound, JBL), so I
>> figure I have to just build it. I can easily build a couple wedges,
>> but want to ask you guys what am I looking for in the way of
>> drivers? 2 way? Horns? Any old generic PA speakers? Anything
special
>> to look out for before I go DIY? Are there any special construction
>> or characteristics of floor monitor speakers?
>>

> buy the behringer 1220f
> around 150$
> way better than 150$ worth of raw driver you could buy

Probably the wrong form factor for such a tight situation on-stage.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2005 6:44:28 AM

Maybe you want to look at something like this for such tight space. It fits on a mic stand:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detai...

I've used these and they work well enough.

--fletch

offpeak808 wrote:
> Problem with owning a club and being a musician as well is that you want to
> provide good sound for the bands while knowing you can't afford to get what
> you really want. So you compromise.
>
> Right now the singers are begging for floor monitors. On such a small stage,
> 3 feet away from each other and the 1st row, I don't really like the idea of
> monitors, but I need to respect people who can't hear (or sing) over the
> guitar amps. I'll need something small with narrow coverage for vocalists,
> the piano, and the drummer. Everything I like is too expensive (Meyer,
> Turbosound, JBL), so I figure I have to just build it. I can easily build a
> couple wedges, but want to ask you guys what am I looking for in the way of
> drivers? 2 way? Horns? Any old generic PA speakers? Anything special to look
> out for before I go DIY? Are there any special construction or
> characteristics of floor monitor speakers?

March 30, 2005 6:44:28 AM

In article <d2c7ha$i56$1@jupiter.ttn.net>, offpeak808@hotmail.com
says...
> Problem with owning a club and being a musician as well is that you want to
> provide good sound for the bands while knowing you can't afford to get what
> you really want. So you compromise.
>
> Right now the singers are begging for floor monitors. On such a small stage,
> 3 feet away from each other and the 1st row, I don't really like the idea of
> monitors, but I need to respect people who can't hear (or sing) over the
> guitar amps. I'll need something small with narrow coverage for vocalists,
> the piano, and the drummer. Everything I like is too expensive (Meyer,
> Turbosound, JBL), so I figure I have to just build it. I can easily build a
> couple wedges, but want to ask you guys what am I looking for in the way of
> drivers? 2 way? Horns? Any old generic PA speakers? Anything special to look
> out for before I go DIY? Are there any special construction or
> characteristics of floor monitor speakers?

I would look at contentric speakers; ones with a horn where the
dust cap on the woofer is. Small footprint, decent sound. There
are a few different companies that make a speaker like this. I
would also look a side-fill possibilities, depending on the size
and shape of the venue. Many is the time I've used NO wedges in
front, simply by using sidefills right behind the mains pointing
back towards stage center. Between those, and something for the
drummer to hear, it can be enough.
This depends frightfully much on the venue size and shape, and
the type of bands/music you intend to present there.
--
---Michael (of APP)...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/austinpowerplantmusic...