Sprint PCS Data Coverage vs. Cingular

Hello Everyone,

We're looking to deploy Treo 650's to our salesforce and I'm debating using
Sprint PCS or Cingular as our carrier. I'd like to know which one has
better data coverage, and does roaming apply in this situation. Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about sprint data coverage cingular

    Joe Hayes wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > We're looking to deploy Treo 650's to our salesforce and I'm debating using
    > Sprint PCS or Cingular as our carrier. I'd like to know which one has
    > better data coverage, and does roaming apply in this situation.

    As far as better data coverage goes, that's a tough one to answer. Have
    you looked at the coverage maps for each carrier? I know they're
    probably not the most accurate, but each should give you a sense for
    whate cities and areas are covered, and you can make a judgement from
    there. The easy answer though is that both services should cover every
    major metropolitan area quite well with data capability.

    As far as roaming goes: Sprint data services do NOT work when roaming
    off the Sprint network. That said, I don't believe EDGE services work
    either when roaming off Cingular's or AT&T's network, though the much
    slower GPRS service most likely does work while roaming.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:45:06 -0400, Isaiah Beard wrote:

    > As far as better data coverage goes, that's a tough one to answer. Have
    > you looked at the coverage maps for each carrier? I know they're
    > probably not the most accurate, but each should give you a sense for
    > whate cities and areas are covered, and you can make a judgement from
    > there. The easy answer though is that both services should cover every
    > major metropolitan area quite well with data capability.
    >
    > As far as roaming goes: Sprint data services do NOT work when roaming
    > off the Sprint network. That said, I don't believe EDGE services work
    > either when roaming off Cingular's or AT&T's network, though the much
    > slower GPRS service most likely does work while roaming.

    GPRS like 1xRTT on CDMA can work on any carrier/network you roam on that
    supports it. The problem is most roaming providers don't allow data usage
    because of cost and management(not that it isn't possible). When I had
    Cingular, and granted this was before the big merge to GSM, their data
    services only worked via their native digital network. There are AMPS data
    services that work almost everywhere but that is usually for speciality
    items, such as autonomous reporting devices, where maximum usable coverage
    area is more important then bandwidth. Such services are not normally a
    setup given to a consumer unless it is specifically asked for at a carrier
    who supports it.

    I believe that Verizon data services will also only function when on the
    Verizon network. I have had both Verizon and Sprint and prefer Srint Vision
    as you can get unlimited Vision for $10. Verizon does not offer an unlimited
    data plan except for laptops.

    -mij

    "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:45:06 -0400, Isaiah Beard wrote:
    >

    >> As far as better data coverage goes, that's a tough one to answer. Have
    >> you looked at the coverage maps for each carrier? I know they're
    >> probably not the most accurate, but each should give you a sense for
    >> whate cities and areas are covered, and you can make a judgement from
    >> there. The easy answer though is that both services should cover every
    >> major metropolitan area quite well with data capability.
    >>
    >> As far as roaming goes: Sprint data services do NOT work when roaming
    >> off the Sprint network. That said, I don't believe EDGE services work
    >> either when roaming off Cingular's or AT&T's network, though the much
    >> slower GPRS service most likely does work while roaming.
    >
    > GPRS like 1xRTT on CDMA can work on any carrier/network you roam on that
    > supports it. The problem is most roaming providers don't allow data usage
    > because of cost and management(not that it isn't possible). When I had
    > Cingular, and granted this was before the big merge to GSM, their data
    > services only worked via their native digital network. There are AMPS data
    > services that work almost everywhere but that is usually for speciality
    > items, such as autonomous reporting devices, where maximum usable coverage
    > area is more important then bandwidth. Such services are not normally a
    > setup given to a consumer unless it is specifically asked for at a carrier
    > who supports it.

    While you can cheat and do some laptop data over the unlimited vision, many
    people have gotten called on it. If you check your e-mail every now and
    then, you'll probably be fine. If you choose to substitute this data
    service for your home DSL line, watch out.

    Roaming is the big issue in my mind. Sprint's data coverage is very good.
    They are about to go to EVDO which will move them ahead of Cingular for a
    year or two until Cingular gets one of its two 3g technologies running at
    full speed.

    Does your fleet enter Canada? You can roam in Canada with Cingular. Sprint
    has no data coverage up there. I'm not sure whether you can get Edge now or
    not. ATT (now part of Cingular's) historic connections with Rogers (the
    owner of the two GSM carriers in Canada) means better roaming up there.

    Stu

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I believe that Verizon data services will also only function when on the
    >Verizon network. I have had both Verizon and Sprint and prefer Srint Vision
    >as you can get unlimited Vision for $10. Verizon does not offer an
    >unlimited data plan except for laptops.
    >
    > -mij
    >

    > "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:45:06 -0400, Isaiah Beard wrote:
    >>

    >>> As far as better data coverage goes, that's a tough one to answer. Have
    >>> you looked at the coverage maps for each carrier? I know they're
    >>> probably not the most accurate, but each should give you a sense for
    >>> whate cities and areas are covered, and you can make a judgement from
    >>> there. The easy answer though is that both services should cover every
    >>> major metropolitan area quite well with data capability.
    >>>
    >>> As far as roaming goes: Sprint data services do NOT work when roaming
    >>> off the Sprint network. That said, I don't believe EDGE services work
    >>> either when roaming off Cingular's or AT&T's network, though the much
    >>> slower GPRS service most likely does work while roaming.
    >>
    >> GPRS like 1xRTT on CDMA can work on any carrier/network you roam on that
    >> supports it. The problem is most roaming providers don't allow data usage
    >> because of cost and management(not that it isn't possible). When I had
    >> Cingular, and granted this was before the big merge to GSM, their data
    >> services only worked via their native digital network. There are AMPS
    >> data
    >> services that work almost everywhere but that is usually for speciality
    >> items, such as autonomous reporting devices, where maximum usable
    >> coverage
    >> area is more important then bandwidth. Such services are not normally a
    >> setup given to a consumer unless it is specifically asked for at a
    >> carrier
    >> who supports it.

    I have a Sprint cell phone and a Sprint laptop card in my laptop. The laptop
    is on an unlimited Sprint data plan for $80/month and it works very well in
    the US.

    -mij

    "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
    > While you can cheat and do some laptop data over the unlimited vision,
    > many people have gotten called on it. If you check your e-mail every now
    > and then, you'll probably be fine. If you choose to substitute this data
    > service for your home DSL line, watch out.
    >
    > Roaming is the big issue in my mind. Sprint's data coverage is very good.
    > They are about to go to EVDO which will move them ahead of Cingular for a
    > year or two until Cingular gets one of its two 3g technologies running at
    > full speed.
    >
    > Does your fleet enter Canada? You can roam in Canada with Cingular.
    > Sprint has no data coverage up there. I'm not sure whether you can get
    > Edge now or not. ATT (now part of Cingular's) historic connections with
    > Rogers (the owner of the two GSM carriers in Canada) means better roaming
    > up there.
    >
    > Stu
    >

    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I believe that Verizon data services will also only function when on the
    >>Verizon network. I have had both Verizon and Sprint and prefer Srint
    >>Vision as you can get unlimited Vision for $10. Verizon does not offer an
    >>unlimited data plan except for laptops.
    >>
    >> -mij
    >>

    >> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message

    >>> GPRS like 1xRTT on CDMA can work on any carrier/network you roam on that
    >>> supports it. The problem is most roaming providers don't allow data
    >>> usage
    >>> because of cost and management(not that it isn't possible). When I had
    >>> Cingular, and granted this was before the big merge to GSM, their data
    >>> services only worked via their native digital network. There are AMPS
    >>> data
    >>> services that work almost everywhere but that is usually for speciality
    >>> items, such as autonomous reporting devices, where maximum usable
    >>> coverage
    >>> area is more important then bandwidth. Such services are not normally a
    >>> setup given to a consumer unless it is specifically asked for at a
    >>> carrier
    >>> who supports it.

Sprint PCS Cingular Internet Service Providers