Windows 7 XP mode? Windows 7 vs Windows 8?

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I'm currently using windows XP and have been for many years. I've been saving up and in a couple of months will be able to spend thousands to get a beast of a PC because I'm sick of this piece of junk I have been using. Apparently all windows 7 have windows xp compatibility mode, what exactly is that? My friend has windows 7 and has never heard of it and apparently his doesn't have it. Would it allow me to use windows xp files so that I wouldn't need to install windows XP and windows 7 to use my windows xp files?

Also, for windows 8 when will it be released and should I go for windows 8 instead of windows 7?

a lot of older programs will run in windows 7 and windows 8. right now im running the windows 8 beta as my main os. I found very few programs in windows 7 or 8 that i had to tell windows to run the program in xp mode. (may find it more in older games).
windows 8 is more of phone os ported to the desktop. there no start button anymore in windows 8. the menus are not the same in windows 8 as there in 7, a lot of windows 7 users..(myself is one of them) dont like windows 8. if you have a spare small hard drive i would recomend you install windows 8 on it and kick it tires. so you dont lose any data unplug the data cable for the other main drive in your system if you do want to install windows 8 on anther drive. for your older software if your in school or collage see if your school or collage has a list of discounted software. a lot of times microsoft and adobe and other main programs are discounted. if not take a look on ebay to see if there a newer rev of some of your software that run under windows 7.

scgscratch

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Hi there :) ,

Before I answer your question, what do you do most with your computer?

a) Web browsing, emails, Facebook, Office, etc.
b) PC gaming, VMs, etc.
c) Advanced word processing, heavy office use
d) Other (please specify)

Windows 8 will be released in Fall 2012. The price has not been specified yet.

Thanks!