Connected at 54Mbps but transmit only at 10% of its possib..

Hi!

My home network is very simple: my desktop connected to
the base station(MN-700) throught 100Mbps ethernet cable
and the notebook with the wireless channel (MN-720
802.11g). It seems to work all perfectly, the internet
connection is ok (but it needs only 512 Kbps of
bandwidth). The problem is that when I transfer some
files from one computer to the other one, only a 10% of
the available bandwidth is used... it needs more then 1
min. to transfer a 50 MB file! While with simple
computation... 54Mbps---> around 6MB/s so for a 50 MB
file ---> around 10 sec! Someone is able to say me what
may be the problem?

Megabits vs. megabytes. You're mixing two different ratings.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Werz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> My home network is very simple: my desktop connected to
> the base station(MN-700) throught 100Mbps ethernet cable
> and the notebook with the wireless channel (MN-720
> 802.11g). It seems to work all perfectly, the internet
> connection is ok (but it needs only 512 Kbps of
> bandwidth). The problem is that when I transfer some
> files from one computer to the other one, only a 10% of
> the available bandwidth is used... it needs more then 1
> min. to transfer a 50 MB file! While with simple
> computation... 54Mbps---> around 6MB/s so for a 50 MB
> file ---> around 10 sec! Someone is able to say me what
> may be the problem?

joker

Well it can't operate at 100% of the efficiently because you most likely
have either WEP or WPA enabled which uses bandwidth, when data is
transmitted other information is sent along with it telling it where to go.

Also you may have a virus, spyware, or some other software using the
bandwidth on your computer.

Also the 54 Mbps is a maximum under ideal conditions. Which I highly
doubt your connection is running.

Werz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My home network is very simple: my desktop connected to
> the base station(MN-700) throught 100Mbps ethernet cable
> and the notebook with the wireless channel (MN-720
> 802.11g). It seems to work all perfectly, the internet
> connection is ok (but it needs only 512 Kbps of
> bandwidth). The problem is that when I transfer some
> files from one computer to the other one, only a 10% of
> the available bandwidth is used... it needs more then 1
> min. to transfer a 50 MB file! While with simple
> computation... 54Mbps---> around 6MB/s so for a 50 MB
> file ---> around 10 sec! Someone is able to say me what
> may be the problem?

joker

you also might try checking out this link
http://www.geocities.com/v_2joecr/images/bart_and_google_search.gif

Werz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My home network is very simple: my desktop connected to
> the base station(MN-700) throught 100Mbps ethernet cable
> and the notebook with the wireless channel (MN-720
> 802.11g). It seems to work all perfectly, the internet
> connection is ok (but it needs only 512 Kbps of
> bandwidth). The problem is that when I transfer some
> files from one computer to the other one, only a 10% of
> the available bandwidth is used... it needs more then 1
> min. to transfer a 50 MB file! While with simple
> computation... 54Mbps---> around 6MB/s so for a 50 MB
> file ---> around 10 sec! Someone is able to say me what
> may be the problem?

I'm not mixing Mb vs. MB Imade the example for this
reason... :p
But if you have seen some error in the computation show
it to me! :)

Good image but what I have to search exactly? :p

> Good image but what I have to search exactly? :p

I don't think that there is anything wrong with this question. All the
answers I have seen are vague, vague. I personally would like to see some
numbers like: If I am in the same room as the base station and have WPA on,
I get about x Mbps, with WPA off I get y Mbps, when I go into a room two
walls away I get z Mbps. Not this 20-50% off stuff. However if you get 50%
off the top because its just not that fast, 50% off because you use
encryption, and 50% off because you aren't in the same room, you're already
down to 6-7 Mbps before you start worrying about your cordless phone
ringing. Clearly the companies that make the devices know how fast they are
in the real world, but aren't talking about it much for obvious reasons. I
haven't seen any scientific, real world tests on the net. But I did find
this: http://www.pcmag.co.uk/Comment/1152336 which seems to indicate speeds
in the range I'm talking about(note there is no mention of encryption in the
article).

One other thing not mentioned is the fact that your Laptop or Desktop can't
keep up with the data rate of the router or pc card. This is a component of
the "throughput" mentioned in the article. Another factor is overhead of the
transmission protocols. None of these things makes the actual throughput
faster.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

It is hard enough to explain, so I'll let you figure it out:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=115 Most networking hardware
is rated in megabits per second, Ethernet (wired) connections rated at 10 or
100 megabits per second. The maximum for an 802.11g wireless is 54
megabits.

The transfer rate you're seeing is highly acceptable on wireless.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP