viking

I just bought the viking expansion of medieval total war. When I play
as the Vikings I start off with two fleet of ships. I assume that they
have no troops inside so I try to move some army into them but they
won't go in. I thought it was like Civ. I realize I must invade the
region of land to my left across the sea. I have also ran out of money.
I just don't get the concept of what I'm supposed to be doing; I did
build some buildings, and tried to create or train (whatever that
means) some units. The buildings completion was announced at the end of
the turn but not the units. Anyway, like I said I'm out of money, and I
can't load the fleet with any troops. What can I do? The manual is very
vague and obscure as far as playing strategy.

thanks..Andre

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, WhiteFooted@gmail.com mentioned

>I just bought the viking expansion of medieval total war. When I play
>as the Vikings I start off with two fleet of ships. I assume that they
>have no troops inside so I try to move some army into them but they
>won't go in.

Test that assumption! Try raiding with one or both of the longships.
Does it work?

>I thought it was like Civ. I realize I must invade the
>region of land to my left across the sea.

That'd be East Anglia?? Norfolk? or is is South and East, the Normandy
coast? Leave that till later, you'll need plenty of strength to raid
Paris.

>I have also ran out of money.

You built too many buildings at once without securing a source of
income (that is - LOOT! and/or danegeld, but that probably comes
later)

>I just don't get the concept of what I'm supposed to be doing; I did
>build some buildings, and tried to create or train (whatever that
>means) some units. The buildings completion was announced at the end of
>the turn but not the units.

Yes, well, first build the buildings, THEN train the crews. Can't be
done in the same turn at the same location.

>Anyway, like I said I'm out of money, and I
>can't load the fleet with any troops. What can I do? The manual is very
>vague and obscure as far as playing strategy.
>

> thanks..Andre

I don't have that particular expansion, but the Mongol Invasion
expansion of Shogun:Total War sounds similar.

As a Mongol raider you cannot build or develop or raise troops. Troops
are SENT to you depending on the success of your raids.

You must defeat the defending armies then plunder (rape as well, if it
suits your tastes.)

You should have two icons in the Building/Training panel to the lower
left of your screen. Once you have a training hall (or whatever) then
the training icon should appear.

Start a new scenario (or do the tutorial scenario which is often a
good walkthrough).

Can you move your longships to a neighbouring/target coast yet?

Must you add a crew or is the crew inherent in the building of the
longship?

Your objective (should you accept the mission) is to Control the Known
World and plunder and wassail and fight and take slaves and fornicate,
then die gloriously in savage battle, to be taken by the Valkyries to
Valhalla and do the same stuff in noisy boisterous company until
Gotterdammerung.

May Wotan ride your shoulder and Odin guide your steps.
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..

It appears I am not able to attack with the fleet I was given at the
beggining of the game. They seem to have no soldiers inside. The
campaign is called Vikings, and it takes place in 731 a.d so of course
there is no Paris yet. I am trying to invade the closest body of land
seperated by sea, which in my opinion is modern day Scotland, but in
the game it goes by another name. I clicked on my king's army and
dragged it directly across the sea into Scotland (the manual said to do
this and eventually the army would make its way there. I waited about
ten turns with nothing happening and no arrival of such army. I wonder
if I waited long enough. The game starts out with two Provinces for me;
one has already many buildings and thus I run out of money right away;
I provably should destroy some of them and keep expenses down. And
finally, like I said , I am able to move my fleet into another
provinces' port but nothing happens after that. I will start the
campaign from the beggining again.

thanks for the feedback..........Andre

<WhiteFooted@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It appears I am not able to attack with the fleet I was given at the
> beggining of the game. They seem to have no soldiers inside. The
> campaign is called Vikings, and it takes place in 731 a.d so of course
> there is no Paris yet. I am trying to invade the closest body of land
> seperated by sea, which in my opinion is modern day Scotland, but in
> the game it goes by another name. I clicked on my king's army and
> dragged it directly across the sea into Scotland (the manual said to do
> this and eventually the army would make its way there. I waited about
> ten turns with nothing happening and no arrival of such army. I wonder
> if I waited long enough. The game starts out with two Provinces for me;
> one has already many buildings and thus I run out of money right away;
> I provably should destroy some of them and keep expenses down. And
> finally, like I said , I am able to move my fleet into another
> provinces' port but nothing happens after that. I will start the
> campaign from the beggining again.
>
> thanks for the feedback..........Andre

If I remember right you have to have a boat in each square (area) from the
attacking territory to the one being attacked. In other words, you have to
have a bridge.