Sign in with
Your question

Memory types on A7N8X Deluxe

Last response: in Memory
April 29, 2003 5:28:39 AM

I'm looking at purchasing an asus a7n8x, because it supports serial-ata as well as dual ddr. What im not sure about though, is about the different memory types, and what this motherboard supports.

i know about ddr vs sdram, and this isnt what im asking. there are a few things i want to know about:

1. ECC vs. Non-ECC. What's the benefit?
According to the asus website, this board supports:
"Dual-Channel DDR 400
3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets
Max. 3 GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR RAM Memory (Twinbank)"

I wont be using pc3200, but pc2700. I was told ECC ram was more reliable, so should i be looking for a board that supports ECC?

2. Secondly, with dual-channel ddr, do i need to have two ram chips? or how does this work?

3. I'm looking at getting CL2 ram. On the motherboard's site (http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X Deluxe), it doesnt really say anything about CL2, it has a DDR400 (QVL??) table, which only mentions CL3 and CL2.5. I'm assuming most motherboards support CL2 nowdays?

4. Finally, I was told that brand name ram is worth the extra price compared to generic. Is this just because it's more reliable?

thanks for your help, its been a while since i've built a new machine.

joseph.
April 29, 2003 6:01:48 AM

1. ECC stands for error-correcting code. It's a type of memory that includes special circuitry for testing the accuracy of data as it passes in and out of memory. If you're not using your PC as a server, it's really not necessary to spend the extra $ for the ECC memory. You won't notice any difference between the two types of memory.

2. Yes, you need to have two sticks of RAM, preferabily with same size and speed.

3. There're some RAM's that do run at CL2, but they're pretty expensive. For average home users, RAM's that run at CL2.5 should be fine.

4. Yes.
!