Getting rid of standing waves

Last response: in Home Audio
March 29, 2005 6:31:45 PM

I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.
Does anybody have an idea in how to minimize this problem
kevin

More about : rid standing waves

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:58:27 PM

Matrixmusic wrote:
> I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
> I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.
> Does anybody have an idea in how to minimize this problem
> kevin

Bass traps. They really work.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:43:46 PM

Matrixmusic <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote:
>I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
>I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.
>Does anybody have an idea in how to minimize this problem

There's a nice discussion of this in the FAQ. In a place that small it may
be hard to trap it, but your first problem is to figure out what frequencies
the problems are centered around and how wide they are. If you've basically
got one big mode problem, a trap may be the way to go.
--scott

March 30, 2005 12:39:03 AM

In article <1112135505.118731.238730@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> kevindoylemusic@rogers.com writes:

> I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.

Traps. See http://www.realtraps.com or http://www.ethanwiner.com for
some good information on how to figure out what your problem really is
and some approaches to solve it.

March 30, 2005 2:28:23 PM

Matrixmusic wrote:
> I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
> I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.
> Does anybody have an idea in how to minimize this problem

First of all, you need to quantify the problem. If you download a copy
of my Control Room spreadsheet, once you have entered your room ratios
and room width (in your case H:W:L = 1:1.14:1.71), it will calculate
amongst other things, the modal frequencies of your room. (Please read
the instructions on the download page carefully!)

http://www.rmmpnet.org/members/ChrisW/index.html

Once you know the model frequencies, you will be able to see where the
modes tend to bunch up, and this will give you a good idea of what your
problem frequency ranges are.

A first glance at the modal frequencies for your room shows that you
will have 3 modes bunched up between 132.5 Hz and 133.8 Hz, 3 modes
between 151.0 Hz and 152.5 Hz, and 5 modes between 200.9 Hz and 203.6 Hz.

Then take a look at Auralex's website. http://www.auralex.com
They make a range of bass trap products called LENRD's (Low End Noise
Reduction Device) which will help your situation greatly.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Kevin,

> I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
> I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.

What are you recording in there? As others already told you, bass traps are
clearly the answer, but what type and how many you need depends on the
frequencies being played in the room. Also, a room like that needs broadband
absorption more than just bass trapping. Mike suggested my web sites (thanks
Mike!), and you'll find a lot of detailed information there.

--Ethan
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:09:43 PM

I would not say bass traps only...
Another problem may be parallel walls...
Try putting "absorbing panels" on the ceiling and on the rear wall and if it
is not enough two small on the side walls, maybe not one in front of the
other...
Cheers!

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I have a whisper room that is 8.5 X 12 X 7 for recording
> I have a problem with low frequency standing waves.
> Does anybody have an idea in how to minimize this problem
> kevin

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:12:36 PM

Federico wrote:

> I would not say bass traps only...
> Another problem may be parallel walls...
> Try putting "absorbing panels" on the ceiling and on the rear wall and if it
> is not enough two small on the side walls, maybe not one in front of the
> other...

Ethan's RealTraps are easy to angle. But do much of that in a "room"
that size, and only miniature recordings are possible. <g>

--
ha
Anonymous

he should be able to line the entire edges of all 4 ceilings with
Ethan's bass traps and not suffer undue shrinkage of the performance
space.

the parallel walls have much more to do with flutter echo than his
standing wave problem.

I would think using one size of Ethan's traps on a set of parallel
walls, and another size on the other set of parallel wall edges would
help knock out two areas of bass build up. But check with Ethan.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:21:45 AM

My singer is 6'8" tall, so Ethan's bass traps on the ceiling would create
some shrinkage, but that's a unusual circumstance and only pertinent due to
the 7' ceiling. If the size of a particular singer is unknown, say for
incoming new clients, then the walls/corners would be the place to look.
Short rooms can cause some people problems anyway, and problems usually leak
out into performances.

Then again, for my purposes I would probably only use a whisper room for
vocals. 12 x 8.5' is big enough for drums and then the wall space becomes
more at a premium than the ceiling (well, except for overheads). The good
thing about Ethan's broadband absorbers is that they can easily be moved to
support either configuration.

Additionally, WhisperRooms has optional application specific sound
absorbtion products.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> he should be able to line the entire edges of all 4 ceilings with
> Ethan's bass traps and not suffer undue shrinkage of the performance
> space.
>
> the parallel walls have much more to do with flutter echo than his
> standing wave problem.
>
> I would think using one size of Ethan's traps on a set of parallel
> walls, and another size on the other set of parallel wall edges would
> help knock out two areas of bass build up. But check with Ethan.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:31:16 PM

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message...

> Additionally, WhisperRooms has optional application specific sound
> absorbtion products.

I was wondering if "whisper room" was the brand name or simply Kevin's
terminology. If the prior, this problem should be addressed by them, and
I'm surprised the room didn't have certain acoustic properties designed in
and made known.

DM
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:31:17 PM

I made the assumption based on the fact that he didn't say "isolation room"
of X x Y x Z dimensions. Once I looked at the website, it seemed obvious
that he indeed had a WhisperRoom. But I could be wrong. I think it
happened once before! <g>

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio