Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

- Echo or M-Audio?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

How does the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI DIGITAL AUDIO CARD compare to the
ECHO GINA3G, aside from the Gina's 6 analog outs?

I mean, sound-wise, are they pretty much equivalent to one another? Does the
Delta 1010 have better connectors and sound treatment than the Audiophile
does? Is it worth the doubled price?

I've been loyal to Echo for a while now, but the only Echo distributor in
this city (exclusive distributor, naturally) are being jerks. There are no
Ginas left, they don't know when they'll have more, they don't seem to give
a rat's ass if they even restock or not.

I've been waiting 2 weeks for them to restock and still they don't know when
they'll arrive. I don't know why Echo strikes exclusive deals with these
stores. I emailed Echo and they've ignored the situation. They're about to
lose a very loyal customer to the much more easy to find M-Audio cards.

The city is Montreal. The store is Steve's Music.

More about : echo audio

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:04:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

my experience is an echo mia midi vs. an audiophile 2496. the mia midi
sounds better, but the audiophile has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
better drivers/stability.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:43:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Jon J. Yeager Wrote:
> How does the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI DIGITAL AUDIO CARD compare to
> the
> ECHO GINA3G, aside from the Gina's 6 analog outs?
>
> I mean, sound-wise, are they pretty much equivalent to one another?
> Does the
> Delta 1010 have better connectors and sound treatment than the
> Audiophile
> does? Is it worth the doubled price?
>
> I've been loyal to Echo for a while now, but the only Echo distributor
> in
> this city (exclusive distributor, naturally) are being jerks. There are
> no
> Ginas left, they don't know when they'll have more, they don't seem to
> give
> a rat's ass if they even restock or not.
>
> I've been waiting 2 weeks for them to restock and still they don't know
> when
> they'll arrive. I don't know why Echo strikes exclusive deals with
> these
> stores. I emailed Echo and they've ignored the situation. They're about
> to
> lose a very loyal customer to the much more easy to find M-Audio
> cards.
>
> The city is Montreal. The store is Steve's Music.

John, I am a tried and true M-audio fan. I have the 1010-LT, the 1010,
and the 2496. I have had other cards but these ones have done quite
well for me. One thing I will warn you of is that the 2496 is designed
to be stand-alone (no other cards to be used at the same time or
stacked) This will limit you to a L/R Line input, a L/R mic input and
In/Out/Through MIDI. I wish they would fix that. The Control Panel
for the card is fairly straightforward. You never said what you will
be using it for and how many ins/outs you need. If it is for a home
studio, the 2496 is actually quite good, but if you are going
semi-professional/professional (for money) then spring for the 1010
because it has 10 ins and 12 outs


--
APOHStudio
Related resources
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:49:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Jon J. Yeager Wrote:
> How does the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI DIGITAL AUDIO CARD compare to
> the
> ECHO GINA3G, aside from the Gina's 6 analog outs?
>
> I mean, sound-wise, are they pretty much equivalent to one another?
> Does the
> Delta 1010 have better connectors and sound treatment than the
> Audiophile
> does? Is it worth the doubled price?
>
> I've been loyal to Echo for a while now, but the only Echo distributor
> in
> this city (exclusive distributor, naturally) are being jerks. There are
> no
> Ginas left, they don't know when they'll have more, they don't seem to
> give
> a rat's ass if they even restock or not.
>
> I've been waiting 2 weeks for them to restock and still they don't know
> when
> they'll arrive. I don't know why Echo strikes exclusive deals with
> these
> stores. I emailed Echo and they've ignored the situation. They're about
> to
> lose a very loyal customer to the much more easy to find M-Audio
> cards.
>
> The city is Montreal. The store is Steve's Music.

John, I am a tried and true M-audio fan. I have the 1010-LT, the 1010,
and the 2496. I have had other cards but these ones have done quite
well for me. One thing I will warn you of is that the 2496 is designed
to be stand-alone (no other cards to be used at the same time or
stacked) This will limit you to a L/R Line input, a L/R mic input and
In/Out/Through MIDI. I wish they would fix that. The Control Panel
for the card is fairly straightforward. You never said what you will
be using it for and how many ins/outs you need. If it is for a home
studio, the 2496 is actually quite good, but if you are going
semi-professional/professional (for money) then spring for the 1010
because it has 10 ins and 12 outs.


--
APOHStudio
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"APOHStudio" <APOHStudio.1mr21o@audiobanter.com> wrote in message
news:APOHStudio.1mr21o@audiobanter.com...
>
> Jon J. Yeager Wrote:
>> How does the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI DIGITAL AUDIO CARD compare to
>> the
>> ECHO GINA3G, aside from the Gina's 6 analog outs?
>>
>> I mean, sound-wise, are they pretty much equivalent to one another?
>> Does the
>> Delta 1010 have better connectors and sound treatment than the
>> Audiophile
>> does? Is it worth the doubled price?
>>
>> I've been loyal to Echo for a while now, but the only Echo distributor
>> in
>> this city (exclusive distributor, naturally) are being jerks. There are
>> no
>> Ginas left, they don't know when they'll have more, they don't seem to
>> give
>> a rat's ass if they even restock or not.
>>
>> I've been waiting 2 weeks for them to restock and still they don't know
>> when
>> they'll arrive. I don't know why Echo strikes exclusive deals with
>> these
>> stores. I emailed Echo and they've ignored the situation. They're about
>> to
>> lose a very loyal customer to the much more easy to find M-Audio
>> cards.
>>
>> The city is Montreal. The store is Steve's Music.
>
> John, I am a tried and true M-audio fan. I have the 1010-LT, the 1010,
> and the 2496. I have had other cards but these ones have done quite
> well for me. One thing I will warn you of is that the 2496 is designed
> to be stand-alone (no other cards to be used at the same time or
> stacked) This will limit you to a L/R Line input, a L/R mic input and
> In/Out/Through MIDI. I wish they would fix that. The Control Panel
> for the card is fairly straightforward. You never said what you will
> be using it for and how many ins/outs you need. If it is for a home
> studio, the 2496 is actually quite good, but if you are going
> semi-professional/professional (for money) then spring for the 1010
> because it has 10 ins and 12 outs.

Multiple outs is not a must. I accept them in the Gina because the (next
level below's) Mia's connectors aren't as interesting as the Gina's.

I looked at the 2496 and I'm turned off for the same reason. They're cheap
computer inputs/outputs, like you'd find on a SoundBlaster. Not 1/4", much
less XLR (which the Gina offers).

Granted, I don't know to what degree the connections play a role in the
recorded sound, but I can't imagine that it's insignificant.

Maybe it's just for psychological effect, but the very least I'd settle for
is 1/4" inputs/outputs.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:50:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <Mhh4e.26616$g_5.670589@wagner.videotron.net> nospam@please.com writes:

> I looked at the 2496 and I'm turned off for the same reason. They're cheap
> computer inputs/outputs, like you'd find on a SoundBlaster. Not 1/4", much
> less XLR (which the Gina offers).
>
> Granted, I don't know to what degree the connections play a role in the
> recorded sound, but I can't imagine that it's insignificant.
>
> Maybe it's just for psychological effect, but the very least I'd settle for
> is 1/4" inputs/outputs.

The most important thing about a connector is that it connects. 1/4"
connectors are more robust than RCA connectors, but they both work. If
you not unplug and replug your connections frequently, either will do
fine. If you're going to disconnect all your cables at the end of each
session, then you're better off with 1/4" plugs.

One difference is that an RCA connector is never used for a balanced
connection. If inputs or outputs are balanced (which does have some
potential advantages but it depends on what you're connecting to)
you're more likely to find 1/4" or XLR connectors, but you might find
terminal strips or multi-pin (like D-subminiature) connectors.

I wouldn't make a decision based on the type of connector (though I
avoid mini phone jacks as much as I possibly can, because they DO work
loose, crackle, and fall out) but rather by what's on the electronics
side of the connector, unless one of your requirements is for
something that can be repeatedly mated and un-mated very frequently.
But for a fixed installation (as most studios are, once you get things
figured out) it doesn't really matter that much.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:13:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:17:06 -0400, "Jon J. Yeager" <nospam@please.com>
wrote:

>I looked at the 2496 and I'm turned off for the same reason. They're cheap
>computer inputs/outputs, like you'd find on a SoundBlaster. Not 1/4", much
>less XLR (which the Gina offers).
>
>Granted, I don't know to what degree the connections play a role in the
>recorded sound, but I can't imagine that it's insignificant.
>
>Maybe it's just for psychological effect, but the very least I'd settle for
>is 1/4" inputs/outputs.

You might be foolish to reject the 2496 merely on account of its
connectors.
April 5, 2005 1:28:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 4/4/2005 3:17 PM, Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> "APOHStudio" <APOHStudio.1mr21o@audiobanter.com> wrote in message
> news:APOHStudio.1mr21o@audiobanter.com...
>
>>Jon J. Yeager Wrote:
>>
>>>How does the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 PCI DIGITAL AUDIO CARD compare to
>>>the
>>>ECHO GINA3G, aside from the Gina's 6 analog outs?
>>>
>>>I mean, sound-wise, are they pretty much equivalent to one another?
>>>Does the
>>>Delta 1010 have better connectors and sound treatment than the
>>>Audiophile
>>>does? Is it worth the doubled price?
>>>
>>>I've been loyal to Echo for a while now, but the only Echo distributor
>>>in
>>>this city (exclusive distributor, naturally) are being jerks. There are
>>>no
>>>Ginas left, they don't know when they'll have more, they don't seem to
>>>give
>>>a rat's ass if they even restock or not.
>>>
>>>I've been waiting 2 weeks for them to restock and still they don't know
>>>when
>>>they'll arrive. I don't know why Echo strikes exclusive deals with
>>>these
>>>stores. I emailed Echo and they've ignored the situation. They're about
>>>to
>>>lose a very loyal customer to the much more easy to find M-Audio
>>>cards.
>>>
>>>The city is Montreal. The store is Steve's Music.
>>
>>John, I am a tried and true M-audio fan. I have the 1010-LT, the 1010,
>>and the 2496. I have had other cards but these ones have done quite
>>well for me. One thing I will warn you of is that the 2496 is designed
>>to be stand-alone (no other cards to be used at the same time or
>>stacked) This will limit you to a L/R Line input, a L/R mic input and
>>In/Out/Through MIDI. I wish they would fix that. The Control Panel
>>for the card is fairly straightforward. You never said what you will
>>be using it for and how many ins/outs you need. If it is for a home
>>studio, the 2496 is actually quite good, but if you are going
>>semi-professional/professional (for money) then spring for the 1010
>>because it has 10 ins and 12 outs.
>
>
> Multiple outs is not a must. I accept them in the Gina because the (next
> level below's) Mia's connectors aren't as interesting as the Gina's.
>
> I looked at the 2496 and I'm turned off for the same reason. They're cheap
> computer inputs/outputs, like you'd find on a SoundBlaster. Not 1/4", much
> less XLR (which the Gina offers).
>
> Granted, I don't know to what degree the connections play a role in the
> recorded sound, but I can't imagine that it's insignificant.
>
> Maybe it's just for psychological effect, but the very least I'd settle for
> is 1/4" inputs/outputs.
>
>
>

If you are running long cable distances and/or in an electrical noisy
environment, then go with XLR.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:03:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote

> If you are running long cable distances and/or in an electrical noisy
> environment, then go with XLR.

But why, Dan? Its the wire that determines this, NOT the connector.
Granted miniplugs are a joke, but good quality 1/4 balanced TRS's like Echo
makes work fine. I'm running (2) 100 foot runs on each of (2) MIA MIDI's
with a S/N ratio of over 90 dB at a radio station.

Julian
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:38:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dan wrote:

> If you are running long cable distances and/or in an electrical
noisy
> environment, then go with XLR.

Other than mechanical considerations, why would one pick XLR over TRS
for regular audio signals?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:43:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:38:39 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>
>> If you are running long cable distances and/or in an electrical
>noisy
>> environment, then go with XLR.
>
>Other than mechanical considerations, why would one pick XLR over TRS
>for regular audio signals?

I interpreted Dan to mean 'go balanced', but of course I shouldn't
try to second-guess other Usenet posters...

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
!