Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Connection
  • WiFi
  • Modem
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 2, 2013 2:25:12 PM

I have a duoPlus 300wr wireless Ethernet ADSL modem. I do not have an adsl line currently. Can I use the modem to link two PC's using a Wifi adapter on the other PC?...AND
Could I share the WCDMA connection on the PC with my mobile phones using the DuoPlus modem's WiFi?

More about : wifi adsl modem adsl connection connect cellphone

March 2, 2013 3:17:52 PM

I have a duoPlus 300wr wireless Ethernet ADSL modem. I do not have an adsl line currently. Can I use the modem to link two PC's using a Wifi adapter on the other PC?...AND
Could I share the WCDMA connection on the PC with my mobile phones using the DuoPlus modem's WiFi?
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:12:39 PM

I have not looked you modem up but the vast majority of devices will run as a wireless switch even with no wan connection. This means all the wired and wireless ports are connected and the machine can communicate.

You would have to run something like ICS on your PC and it should be able to share the connection. Microsoft has good instruction how to setup ICS and it mostly works. You still need to be careful to not run a lot on the PC when you are using it as a router like this
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 5:27:10 PM

No, not with that modem. Very few combo DSL modem/routers can be used as a router only, and they usually have a configurable 1st LAN port or additional Ethernet WAN port.

How do you attach the phone's Internet connection to computer #1 now, by the computer wireless adapter? What OS is on the two PCs, and do both have a wireless adapter and Ethernet port?
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:00:55 PM

This next topics has been merged by Inzone
  • Can one use Wifi ADSL Modem w/out ADSL connection to connect cellphones
    m
    l
    March 3, 2013 3:00:16 AM

RealBeast said:
    No, not with that modem. Very few combo DSL modem/routers can be used as a router only, and they usually have a configurable 1st LAN port or additional Ethernet WAN port.

How do you attach the phone's Internet connection to computer #1 now, by the computer wireless adapter? What OS is on the two PCs, and do both have a wireless adapter and Ethernet port?

PC #1 is connected to the internet using a HUAWEI e220 modem. It's a metered connection where I get 20gigs a month. I bought a TotoLink Wireless USB adapter because the salesperson assured me I would be able to connect my family's smartphones to the PC's internet connection. Obviously I am a total newbie and only realized after setting it up that the wifi adapter can only be used to connect to another wifi router. I do however own the duoPlus 300 adsl wifi modem and wondered if it would be possible to use it to connect the smartphones through wifi so they could use the pc's internet connection. Additionally since I now own the wireless usb adapter I wondered if I could use it to connect my second PC to PC #1.

Any help o make sense of it all will be greatly appreciated.
    m
    l

Best solution

March 3, 2013 1:09:20 PM

dirk777 said:
    PC #1 is connected to the internet using a HUAWEI e220 modem. It's a metered connection where I get 20gigs a month. I bought a TotoLink Wireless USB adapter because the salesperson assured me I would be able to connect my family's smartphones to the PC's internet connection. Obviously I am a total newbie and only realized after setting it up that the wifi adapter can only be used to connect to another wifi router. I do however own the duoPlus 300 adsl wifi modem and wondered if it would be possible to use it to connect the smartphones through wifi so they could use the pc's internet connection. Additionally since I now own the wireless usb adapter I wondered if I could use it to connect my second PC to PC #1.

Any help o make sense of it all will be greatly appreciated.
    You should be able set the wireless USB adapter to AD-HOC MODE and then enable ICS on the wired adapter on the computer or bridge the two adapters. That should allow the phones to connect through the PC. Bridging is a bit more flexible of the two, and you do that by having ICS turned off, highlight both adapters in the network control panel change adapter settings window, then right click when both are highlighted and select bridge connection. You first should set up the ad hoc mode though.
    March 13, 2013 12:13:06 AM

Thank you Realbeast. After reading it was in fact do-able I tried setting it up and in the process stumbled upon the software "Connectify". All works as desired.

Once again, Thank you.
    m
    l
    !