Text Message

Last response: in Network Providers
April 25, 2005 8:33:05 PM

how do you text message a sprint phone from mail program.

More about : text message

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:33:06 PM

phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

"Sandlot" <sandlot@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> how do you text message a sprint phone from mail program.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:15:27 AM

Or if it is to a Vision phone, you can ask the phone's owner what his
@sprintpcs.com e-mail address is.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:42:48 PM

Thanks for your help.
"Sandlot" <sandlot@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> how do you text message a sprint phone from mail program.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:02:25 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Holy moly. We need an FAQ. This question comes up 3 times a week. At
least!
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:06:35 AM

"rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org" <NoSuchPerson@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:REuce.399$Au1.174@tornado.socal.rr.com...
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
>
> Holy moly. We need an FAQ. This question comes up 3 times a week. At
> least!

Just for people who don't know what Google is for...

--
John Richards
May 1, 2005 7:49:32 AM

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Or if it is to a Vision phone, you can ask the phone's owner what
> his
> @sprintpcs.com e-mail address is.

Asking for the @sprintpcs.com email address will only send to their phone
as a text message if they set up their E-mail preferences to "notify phone
of all E-mails".. if that option is not selected, it will notify the
phone, therefore, they won't get the message... it's best to use xxx-xxx-
xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com (xxx-xxx-xxxx being the 10-digit PCS phone
number)..

Hope that helps..

Jason
Sprint PCS user--Las Vegas, NV
May 1, 2005 2:15:00 PM

Jason wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> Or if it is to a Vision phone, you can ask the phone's owner
>> what his
>> @sprintpcs.com e-mail address is.
>
> Asking for the @sprintpcs.com email address will only send to their
> phone as a text message if they set up their E-mail preferences to
> "notify phone of all E-mails".. if that option is not selected, it
> will notify the phone, therefore, they won't get the message... it's
> best to use xxx-xxx- xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com (xxx-xxx-xxxx being
> the 10-digit PCS phone number)..
>
> Hope that helps..

Just remember to not exceed 160 (IIRC) characters. Around two-years-ago,
I used a rule that forwarded important mail to both my
usernamer@sprintpcs.com and phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
addresses. The text message would merely arrive truncated, if the
original email was large. But I could still read enough to know if I
should log into the Vision email service to read the whole message.

However, I began receiving bounce messages from the
messaging.sprintpcs.com server due to exceeding message length. This was
not consistent, as nearly every email I received exceeded the allowed
length; yet they came over truncated. But eventually it seemed I was
receiving a bounce message every time (except, obviously, for truly
short email).

So I stopped forwarding the mail to the text message address, and
changed my SPCS email options to alert me of incoming mail. I can at
least see who the sender is, which helps in determining if logging into
Vision is warranted. YMMV.

P.S. - I just sent myself a text message containing about 1000
characters and, sure enough, it came over truncated--immediately (within
5-seconds). I then sent a message containing about 5000 characters and
another with 150 characters plus a 750 KB attachment. It's been ten
minutes and I still have not received those messages (nor have I
received any bounce messages--yet). I guess I'll leave my settings the
way they are for now.

--
Mike
Anonymous

I usually check all my mails with my phone once a day, including Sprint
PCS mail, Earthlink mail, Yahoo mail. and aol mail. If they are going
to punch in my phone number to get to @messaging.sprintpcs.com, then
they could just as well dial my number and leave voice mail.
May 2, 2005 11:52:34 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I usually check all my mails with my phone once a day, including
> Sprint PCS mail, Earthlink mail, Yahoo mail. and aol mail. If they
> are going to punch in my phone number to get to
> @messaging.sprintpcs.com, then they could just as well dial my number
> and leave voice mail.

We can do away with text messaging altogether too. But, I doubt the
people sending you email at Yahoo, EarthLink, etc., are manually
punching in your email address each time--it's in their phonebook or
contacts list. And, one would assume there was a reason to send a text
message versus a phone call.

As for me, there are many times I'd rather have a text message than a
VM. If my office sends me a text message (e.g., "Mike, please call
Sandra at ACME, Inc. ASAP at 602-555-5555"), I can just have my phone
grab the telephone number and dial it for me automatically--whether the
number is in my phonebook or not. With VM, my only option would be to
manually listen to the number--perhaps more than once to get it
right--and then either write it down or memorize it in order to
(manually) dial. VM will let me return the call, but in this example
that would be to my office (where I would then politely explain to NOT
send phone numbers to me via VM). YMMV.

--
Mike
May 10, 2005 5:50:20 PM

hi everyone,

well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and my#@sprintpcs.com, (via MS
outlook) with no message to my nokia 3588i. i'm on the SPCS f&f plan.

i CAN receieve messages from messaging.sprintpcs.com (website). and i CAN
send a message from my nokia to my email address (outlook).

calls to 2 CSRs said that i either a) can't receieve emails with a nokia, or
b) i have the wrong plan.

looking for the help from this knowledgable NG to assist,
thanks,
parker
May 10, 2005 5:50:21 PM

pb wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com,

##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com should work. Try it with a small
message, and make sure it *is* text (not HTML). If the message is to
large, you might not get it.

> and my#@sprintpcs.com,

That definitely will not work. First, the sprintpcs.com address is for
email, not text messages. You will need to log into Vision on the phone
to receive that email (and this address accepts much larger emails than
the text message address). Second, the format for SPCS email is
username@sprintpcs.com. Your username is not your phone number. By
default it's usually your first initial followed by your last name, and
if that would conflict with another user's name, a number. So if your
name was Paul Brown, your username might be pbrown74. Email would need
to be sent to pbrown74@sprinptcs.coom (I deliberately misspelled
Sprint's domain name in case that address actually exists).

> (via MS outlook) with no message to my nokia 3588i. i'm on the SPCS
> f&f plan.
> i CAN receieve messages from messaging.sprintpcs.com (website). and i

That generally means you can receive them from
yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

> CAN send a message from my nokia to my email address (outlook).

I'm assuming you mean to your normal email address. If so, that's not
really relevant to your text messaging problem.

> calls to 2 CSRs said that i either a) can't receieve emails with a
> nokia, or b) i have the wrong plan.

I'm not sure I would believe those CSRs (ya' think?). Just make sure you
type your number correctly in messaging.sprintpcs.com address. It should
be 10 digits--no dashes and no 1 before the number.

--
Mike
Anonymous

In <3ecg7hF2bjhjU1@individual.net> "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> writes:

>pb wrote:
>> hi everyone,
>>
>> well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com,

>##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com should work. Try it with a small
>message, and make sure it *is* text (not HTML). If the message is to
>large, you might not get it.

It's also possible your e-mail is being blocked by spam filters
that sprintpcs ahs in place. While your individual note might
be clean material, thera are all sorts of other flags that could
be getting tweaked.

For example, if your ISP has a history of being spam friendly,
than any and all e-mail coiming through it, even by honest folk,
might get blocked. Or if you're using an e-mail program that
looks "wrong" (now there's a big technical term for you...) the
same thing can happen.

FWIW I personally routinely send e-mail -> sprintpcs phones
with no problem.
dannyb@panix.com
May 10, 2005 11:31:24 PM

danny burstein wrote:
> In <3ecg7hF2bjhjU1@individual.net> "Tinman"
> <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> writes:
>
>> pb wrote:
>>> hi everyone,
>>>
>>> well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com,
>
>> ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com should work. Try it with a small
>> message, and make sure it *is* text (not HTML). If the message is to
>> large, you might not get it.
>
> It's also possible your e-mail is being blocked by spam filters
> that sprintpcs ahs in place.

I doubt that, but I suppose it's possible. I say that because my
username@sprintpcs.com address gets *everything* sent to it. The latest
virus outbreak? Yep, my sprintpcs.com address received several of them.
And then there are the offers for the "nearly free" (and certainly
pirated) software. And I didn't give my sprintpcs.com address out to
anyone (nor was it ever a From, Reply To, or CC address). I only use it
to forward certain mail to my phone. Yet I still get spam and viruses (I
never open or preview any SPCS email on my PC, and if I did it'd get
disinfected AV software).

But, knowing SPCS, they're probably more stringent with text messages.
<g>

> While your individual note might
> be clean material, thera are all sorts of other flags that could
> be getting tweaked.

I would hope the OP had at least one other person try to send him a TM
too. But ya' can't assume anything...

--
Mike
Anonymous

That phone is not on the Sprint PCS web site anymore so I can not check
the specific features, but the accessories section lists it as a voice
phone, not a Vision phone. IIRC it should not send or receive any
e-mail. The csrs were right about that. IIRC it should receive text
messages from the Sprint PCS web site (from the opening page, click on
the "Send a text message" link at the bottom of the page), and from
Sprint PCS Wireless Webb phones. I was not aware and was surprised to
hear that it could send a text message to an email address.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:23:16 AM

"pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net> wrote in message
> hi everyone,
>
> well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and my#@sprintpcs.com, (via
MS
> outlook) with no message to my nokia 3588i. i'm on the SPCS f&f plan.
>
> i CAN receieve messages from messaging.sprintpcs.com (website). and i CAN
> send a message from my nokia to my email address (outlook).
>
> calls to 2 CSRs said that i either a) can't receieve emails with a nokia,
or
> b) i have the wrong plan.
>
> looking for the help from this knowledgable NG to assist,
> thanks,
> parker

You've seen some excellent replies here. I'd add one thing. If you trying
sending a TM via Outlook, Outlook will also send header information within
the TM and you could be exceeding the allowable # of characters with the
header information included.

If all you want to do is send a quick & short TM, i.e.: 36 characters or
less and that's including spaces between words, send a TM via Outlook via
###########@messaging.sprintpcs.com (xxx... is your telephone number) and
just put the message in the subject line. It works as I just did it, and one
does not need to open Vision to read it.

Bob
May 11, 2005 12:23:17 AM

one bit of info i'll add as i con't attempts, i have gotten the following
message...

WARNING: COULD NOT SEND MESSAGE FOR PAST 4 HOURS
Mail Delivery Subsystem [MAILER-DAEMON@neville-out.centurytel.net]

** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **

** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Tue, 10 May 2005 11:12:25 -0500 (CDT)
from msa2-mx.centurytel.net [209.142.136.132]

<sniped@messaging.sprintpcs.com>... Deferred

Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until
message is 5 days old

since i see this message is generated by my ISP, that means it's not even
making to the sprint server?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:24:23 AM

He has a voice phone not a Vision phone, therefore I don't think he has
a user name and can not send or receive e-mail.
May 11, 2005 12:24:24 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> He has a voice phone not a Vision phone, therefore I don't think he
> has a user name and can not send or receive e-mail.

Jerome, I assume you are speaking to me. But it would be nice if you had
the courtesy to quote.

In any event, I did not bring up sending email. (Though the original
poster said he successfully sent one from his phone.) I merely explained
the process and that yournumber@sprintpcs.com couldn't possibly work.
It's not my fault SPCS disabled the browser that the phone contains.

But that's not the issue: text messaging is, and his phone is indeed
capable of using it. The only issue is whether he can send a TM as email
to the phone, like I and probably thousands of others do all of the
time. The phone is certainly capable of it. So if sending email to
yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com does not work SPCS doesn't want it to
(just like the browser); merely to position the phone--at the time--as a
low-end model and for those who whine, "all I wanna do is make calls."

--
Mike
Anonymous

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> That phone is not on the Sprint PCS web site anymore so I can not check
> the specific features, but the accessories section lists it as a voice
> phone, not a Vision phone. IIRC it should not send or receive any
> e-mail. The csrs were right about that. IIRC it should receive text
> messages from the Sprint PCS web site (from the opening page, click on
> the "Send a text message" link at the bottom of the page), and from
> Sprint PCS Wireless Webb phones. I was not aware and was surprised to
> hear that it could send a text message to an email address.

Jerome ... you should have checked the Nokia site before posting the above.
The phone is capable of TMs per the following page -
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3588i/0,2803,feat:1,00.h...

Bob
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:52:37 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> He has a voice phone not a Vision phone, therefore I don't think he
> has a user name and can not send or receive e-mail.

but he should be able to receive SMS text messages.

On the other hand, someone should probably go look at sprintpcs.com and see if
the 3588 is listed as a SMS (text-messaging)-capable phone.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:52:54 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> That phone is not on the Sprint PCS web site anymore so I can not
> check the specific features, but the accessories section lists it as a
> voice phone, not a Vision phone. IIRC it should not send or receive any
> e-mail. The csrs were right about that. IIRC it should receive text
> messages from the Sprint PCS web site (from the opening page, click on
> the "Send a text message" link at the bottom of the page), and from
> Sprint PCS Wireless Webb phones. I was not aware and was surprised to
> hear that it could send a text message to an email address.

http://phonescoop.com/

search for 3588 :)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:53:37 AM

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in news:3ecic9F2es2nU1
@individual.net:

> danny burstein wrote:
>> In <3ecg7hF2bjhjU1@individual.net> "Tinman"
>> <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> writes:

just send it to your 10 number phone number
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:59:29 AM

Like I said in one of my earlier posts, that model is no longer listed.
I think it should get Text Messages, whether or not they are SMS I do
not know.
May 11, 2005 10:07:03 AM

i have a nokia 6016 as well, and it doesn't perform any differently, yet on
the spcs website it says...

sms text messaging capable: instantly send and receive sms text messages
across the room blah blah blah...

> Like I said in one of my earlier posts, that model is no longer listed. I
> think it should get Text Messages, whether or not they are SMS I do not
> know.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:01:08 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Like I said in one of my earlier posts, that model is no longer listed.

Yet, there are a number of sites which do list the phone, including the
manufacturer, which has the last say in the matter.

> I think it should get Text Messages, whether or not they are SMS I do
> not know.

They are..

Bob
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:00:31 AM

In article <M6mdnbF8RsTwnxzfRVn-2w@centurytel.net>,
whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net says...
> well, i've tried my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and my#@sprintpcs.com, (via MS
> outlook) with no message to my nokia 3588i. i'm on the SPCS f&f plan.

pb, look for another post from me in another thread. There's a setting
for this at the Sprint PCS web site. And a big, wet, fart-smelling
raspberry to the techs for not even mentioning it. There's a tool we
used when I worked there called the "BMG". We had a GUI for it that
including the same three check boxes you'll find on the web site.
Somehow, I doubt they even looked. The 3588i has SMS, and email
xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com works for any phone with SMS *or* the
older Shortmail.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <d5rv8m$rn$8@ratbert.glorb.com>, sjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> but he should be able to receive SMS text messages.
>
> On the other hand, someone should probably go look at sprintpcs.com and see if
> the 3588 is listed as a SMS (text-messaging)-capable phone.

Look like you've already been told, but yes, it is.
--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:03:42 AM

In article <RD8ge.528$OU1.270@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
> That phone is not on the Sprint PCS web site anymore so I can not check
> the specific features, but the accessories section lists it as a voice
> phone, not a Vision phone. IIRC it should not send or receive any
> e-mail. The csrs were right about that. IIRC it should receive text
> messages from the Sprint PCS web site (from the opening page, click on
> the "Send a text message" link at the bottom of the page), and from
> Sprint PCS Wireless Webb phones. I was not aware and was surprised to
> hear that it could send a text message to an email address.

The 3588i was the first non-Vision phone to be able to use the "new" SMS
feature. And yeah, emails sent to [phone#]@messaging.sprintpcs.com get
received by the 3588i as SMS messages.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:10:03 PM

First, should be 10 digit phone number @ messaging.sprintpcs.com (ie
7005551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com)

Second, this is infact a problem with the mail server at your ISP. I had a
DNS problem preventing e-mails being sent to Aol.com on mine before.

Bill

> one bit of info i'll add as i con't attempts, i have gotten the following
> message...
>
> WARNING: COULD NOT SEND MESSAGE FOR PAST 4 HOURS
> Mail Delivery Subsystem [MAILER-DAEMON@neville-out.centurytel.net]
>
> ** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
>
> ** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

> The original message was received at Tue, 10 May 2005 11:12:25 -0500 (CDT)
> from msa2-mx.centurytel.net [209.142.136.132]
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> <sniped@messaging.sprintpcs.com>... Deferred
>
> Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until
> message is 5 days old

> since i see this message is generated by my ISP, that means it's not even
> making to the sprint server?

May 27, 2005 12:35:30 PM

just as an update... i contacted centurytel, my isp, and after a couple days
they said i'd need to contact sprint.

so far sprint left me 2 messages and cancelled the ticket, so i've reopened
another ticket and waiting to see what time of day they call at- hopefully
won't miss their call this time.

still can reliably send and receive messages from my gmail account, just
can't with my isp. :(

!